Tyrone, New Mexico Ghost Town

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Tyrones palatial buildings have been crumbling for more than 70 years as the great plans for a large copper mining town did not come into existance. Beautiful haunting mansions of a town that died before it got off the ground. Only
6 years after Tyrone was completed ...the mines shut down....people say that Tyrone has been rebuilt 3 times....
The Phelps-Dodge copper mining company established a large town at Tyrone during 1912-1921, to service their copper mine, which was about 5 miles southwest of Silver City. Unlike other old towns, the company town at Tyrone was designed by an architect, and included a magnificent railroad station, hospital, and other buildings constructed of stone. Historic Tyrone disappeared when Phelps-Dodge began a new open-pit copper mine in 1969 and the old buildings were either demolished or buried by the mine.
Articles on Tyrone can be found at: Wikipedia and the RootsWeb genealogy site.Presently:
In 1966 Tyrone mine was reopened as an open pit operation, and a new concentrator, shop buildings, and the third Tyrone town were built, which stand today.
This cemetery located about 10 miles south of Silver City on Phelps Dodge Mining Co. property. The cemetery also includes the burials from the ghost town of Leopold, which were reburied here in the early 1970's. The graves from Leopold were largely unmarked or had unreadable wooden markers etc. These graves are presently marked with steel plates with numbers assigned. There is a memorial "dedicated to the unknown residents of Leopold" in the cemetery as well.

Attachments

• Tyrone Cem.jpg
    Tyrone Cem.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,309
  • Union Chapel Tyrone.jpg
    Union Chapel Tyrone.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,305
  • Justice Tyrone 1915.jpg
    Justice Tyrone 1915.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5,907

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Looks like a nice warm place. I'm ready to move to some warm cloudless place.

Burt

T

TreasureTales

The Justice Courthouse is cool - might make an interesting house. How about all us treasure hunters move there and create our own city? We could have rules like 1)all residents over 18 must own a metal detector 2)any cache must be split 50/50 - 50% for the finder and the other 50% split equally with the other residents over 18, 3)We can dig anywhere as long as we refill our holes and take away the trash, 4)no archies allowed. Bet property is pretty cheap down there.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Yep, must refilling holes or they'll be there forever.

Grandma was buried there in 1997 and it has so little rain there is still a mound of dirt on top of her.

Burt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread