neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks this has been very helpful I actually work in Boomer not much out there, I wonder where the earliest settlements would have been?

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like everything passed around me.

shinjak

Greenie
Nov 8, 2012
Taylorsville, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck with old topo maps. You can find most of the old topo maps for NC online. Another place to look for is to find the location of old post offices. I have found at least one "ghost town" in Alexander County this way. Another source is old aerial photography which may be available at your local library. This is a great way to find the location of old mill villages and abandoned roads. Apparently the federal government did lots of aerial photography for western NC between 1938 & 1941.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AGAIN! They were MINING CAMPS/TOWNS (NOT incorporated); "google" Mining Camps/Towns of WESTERN North Carolina. "NEO", what are you REALLY looking for...? You have family history of GOLD being stashed, and you are trying to find it...? "Google" GOLD "veins" of Western North Carolina; Miners set up camps/towns near-by... HH! Good LUCK!:coffee2: Coffee...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGAIN! They were MINING CAMPS/TOWNS (NOT incorporated); "google" Mining Camps/Towns of WESTERN North Carolina. "NEO", what are you REALLY looking for...? You have family history of GOLD being stashed, and you are trying to find it...? "Google" GOLD "veins" of Western North Carolina; Miners set up camps/towns near-by... HH! Good LUCK!:coffee2: Coffee...?

I'm looking for everything.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That database is awesome. Historic maps oh all counties in NC. It has a few older maps as well ... And a ton of newer ones too. I use this resource all the time and spend hours looking at them trying to find cool places to hunt artifacts on

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That database is awesome. Historic maps oh all counties in NC. It has a few older maps as well ... And a ton of newer ones too. I use this resource all the time and spend hours looking at them trying to find cool places to hunt artifacts on
To ALL... HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Here's more: hometownlocator.com/ lists ghost towns, x-POs, cemeteries, schools. Also occupied towns (at least 1 person still there). Maps that show if roads still go there. Also, Wikipedia lists almost all true ghost towns & has histories of just about any town that had 10 people, whether it was ever larger or not. Also maphistory.info/ Best wishes. George (MN)

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's more: hometownlocator.com/ lists ghost towns, x-POs, cemeteries, schools. Also occupied towns (at least 1 person still there). Maps that show if roads still go there. Also, Wikipedia lists almost all true ghost towns & has histories of just about any town that had 10 people, whether it was ever larger or not. Also maphistory.info/ Best wishes. George (MN)

Can't wait to check it out.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You can ALSO "google" GOLD VEINS of Western North Carolina; Mining Camps/Towns/Communities USUALLY were near-by... SILVER VEINS, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread