Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: NC ghost town help?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    neo
    us
    Jul 2013
    Hickory NC
    Bounty hunter 2
    113 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

NC ghost town help?

In thomas p terrys treasure atlas he listed these towns but i cant fond any info on them online and not sure where to look to confirm there existence, heres the list for caldwell county NC, Moore, Finley, Yadkin Valley, Meadow Hill, Cedar Valley. Hartland and Jumbo can anyone point me in the right direction for info?

us
    Jul 2011
    543 times
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

neo
    us
    Jul 2013
    Hickory NC
    Bounty hunter 2
    113 times
    Thanks this has been very helpful I actually work in Boomer not much out there, I wonder where the earliest settlements would have been?

us
    Jul 2011
    543 times
    This site shows the early migration routes of early settlers . I would say the earliest settlements would be along this route, other than Native American Settlements. Lots of other info at the websites.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....intheSouth.png

American Roads & Migration Routes Gallery
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

neo
    us
    Jul 2013
    Hickory NC
    Bounty hunter 2
    113 times
    Looks like everything passed around me.

us
    Jul 2011
    543 times
    Settlements/trading posts can also be along navigable rivers .
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Nov 2012
    Taylorsville, NC
    6 times
    I have had good luck with old topo maps. You can find most of the old topo maps for NC online. Another place to look for is to find the location of old post offices. I have found at least one "ghost town" in Alexander County this way. Another source is old aerial photography which may be available at your local library. This is a great way to find the location of old mill villages and abandoned roads. Apparently the federal government did lots of aerial photography for western NC between 1938 & 1941.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    13646 times
    AGAIN! They were MINING CAMPS/TOWNS (NOT incorporated); "google" Mining Camps/Towns of WESTERN North Carolina. "NEO", what are you REALLY looking for...? You have family history of GOLD being stashed, and you are trying to find it...? "Google" GOLD "veins" of Western North Carolina; Miners set up camps/towns near-by... HH! Good LUCK! Coffee...?
    Last edited by Rebel - KGC; Nov 01, 2014 at 08:26 AM.

neo
    us
    Jul 2013
    Hickory NC
    Bounty hunter 2
    113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel - KGC View Post
    AGAIN! They were MINING CAMPS/TOWNS (NOT incorporated); "google" Mining Camps/Towns of WESTERN North Carolina. "NEO", what are you REALLY looking for...? You have family history of GOLD being stashed, and you are trying to find it...? "Google" GOLD "veins" of Western North Carolina; Miners set up camps/towns near-by... HH! Good LUCK! Coffee...?
    I'm looking for everything.

Nov 2012
    Taylorsville, NC
    6 times
    I didn't find this site until after my previous post: Historic Aerials This should give you an idea of any old mill towns or settlements.
    Rebel-KGC's post made me remember this map: Preliminary map showing location of principal gold deposits in North Carolina
    I think there may be a few locations on there that will get your attention.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    13646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shinjak View Post
    I didn't find this site until after my previous post: Historic Aerials This should give you an idea of any old mill towns or settlements.
    Rebel-KGC's post made me remember this map: Preliminary map showing location of principal gold deposits in North Carolina
    I think there may be a few locations on there that will get your attention.
    YEP! GREAT info! HH! Good Luck!

us
    Jul 2015
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350 Garrett pinpointer Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
    332 times
    Map of Caldwell County, [North Carolina] (J. C. Harper) :: North Carolina Maps

Here ya go

This map lists cedar valley in the lower right side of county boundary ... You'll have to zoom in and look of the creek wit a lot of branches.

With a little more searching of this Map you may be able to find the other cities you're looking forward as well
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

neo
    us
    Jul 2013
    Hickory NC
    Bounty hunter 2
    113 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWalterRaleigh View Post
    Map of Caldwell County, [North Carolina] (J. C. Harper) :: North Carolina Maps

Here ya go

This map lists cedar valley in the lower right side of county boundary ... You'll have to zoom in and look of the creek wit a lot of branches.

With a little more searching of this Map you may be able to find the other cities you're looking forward as well
    thanks will be doing some studying.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Jul 2015
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350 Garrett pinpointer Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
    332 times
    That database is awesome. Historic maps oh all counties in NC. It has a few older maps as well ... And a ton of newer ones too. I use this resource all the time and spend hours looking at them trying to find cool places to hunt artifacts on
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    13646 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWalterRaleigh View Post
    That database is awesome. Historic maps oh all counties in NC. It has a few older maps as well ... And a ton of newer ones too. I use this resource all the time and spend hours looking at them trying to find cool places to hunt artifacts on
    To ALL... HH! Good Luck! Have FUN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links