Delamar Ghost Town in NV

DesertCruiser

Greenie
Jan 27, 2010
Utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Has anyone spent any time in the Delamar Ghost Town in Nevada. We took a trip there last year, but only spent a half day wondering around. It's easy to get to and one of the largest old ghost towns we've ever seen. Any information or a different look at this old mining town would be great.
Here's a Link to our trip HERE This might interest ghost town hunters?

jair

Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas
Detector(s) used
Whites and cheep bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I go every year and some times twice . Check the tailing piles , very small gold but lots of it . Need at least 10 magma fine glass to see it .

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
delamar59.jpg delamar60.jpg Howdy DC . I have been to Delamar many, many times . In fact it was the first " ghost " I went to after moving to Nevada in 1973 . There used to be 2 large safes behind the large ruin on the right side of main street . I once met a man with a rake in that same general area and asked him what he was up to . He told me he had found a small bottle with " Delamar " on it and sold it for $500.00 and was looking for another one ! I stopped at Kershaw - Ryan State Park to have my lunch one day and the incredible luck to meet a lady who had grown up there . She was with her two daughters who were taking her back for one last look . Her memory was sharp as a tack and she told me some fantastic stories . Here is one of those stories . The Postmistress name was Margret Sadovich she said her father used to call her Margret son of a b#*@h because if she was mad at you she would hold up your mail ! I collect covers and postcards from Nevada and have 2 last day covers from Delamar dated Feb 28 1941 the last day the post office was in operation . Personally singed by ...... Margret Sadovich . Hoss

Last edited:

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it okay to camp there? Or does one not want to camp there?

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Howdy ONB I have camped there many times . There is no water nearby so you will have to bring your own . And it has become a popular place so expect to see other people . Hoss

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hoss, I really appreciate the information as I am planning all this blindly. Already planned on no water or anything else. I just wasn't sure about the weather and the local "wildlife". I may just end up making them day trips and motelling it in Caliente. lol We shall see. Either way. I'm getting things together now so I can head out this weekend.

Am still trying to find some places up north on my way down there to explore along the way but not having much luck making up my mind. I'd really like to find a few spots to get some practice on my new sdc 2300. Just not sure where to go yet. Anyone feel like giving a greenhorn some lessons in nugget hunting in the desert? :laughing7: :notworthy: :laughing7:

I'm leaning towards driving down through Twin Falls and Ely

Edit: I just noticed that I am hijacking another thread here. I apologize DesertCruiser

Last edited:

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love Delamar! I've spent a lot of time there both above ground and below. I know my way through the mine about as well as anyone. We even opened a few passages that had filled with dirt, opening extensive parts of the mine.

Delamar pictures

Joanne

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some AMAZING pictures on your website! I can't believe so much dynamite was left behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but as it gets older the nitro can leak out and can create a spark causing it to set off the stick(s).

I'm assuming that if caught going in / out of an abandoned mine comes with a pretty big fine.

I love Delamar! I've spent a lot of time there both above ground and below. I know my way through the mine about as well as anyone. We even opened a few passages that had filled with dirt, opening extensive parts of the mine.

Delamar pictures

Joanne

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it worth doing any metal detecting there ?

davin

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those are some AMAZING pictures on your website! I can't believe so much dynamite was left behind. Correct me if I'm wrong but as it gets older the nitro can leak out and can create a spark causing it to set off the stick(s).

I'm assuming that if caught going in / out of an abandoned mine comes with a pretty big fine.

Thanks! Many of the mines have dynamite sticks laying around. This dynamite is so old that it is past the unstable phase and well into deterioration. Mostly just sawdust left. Still, we don't mess with it.

I've never heard a first hand story of an explorer being ticketed/arrested for exploring abandoned mines. That said, state laws differ and privately owned mines are a different matter all together. I honor Keep Out signs and move on to the next site. There's plenty to see without getting into trouble for trespassing.

Joanne

Joanne

Aug 2, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
is it worth doing any metal detecting there ?

davin

It would be if it's legal.

There is no signage prohibiting it. I can't find a specific reference right now, but I thought it was a state historic site and therefore detecting wasn't allowed. No doubt there are some federal laws that would prohibit historic artifacts from being collected. I will defer an answer to those with knowledge about it.

Joanne

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joanne, thanks for the reply about detecting. i am just trying to plan out a trip on places to go [ old mining camps and ghost towns ] to do some detecting. yes i know about private property and
existing mining claims and i respect that. just hoping to get some ideas. i am going to nevada from idaho and i appreciate any and all advise i can get.
thanks in advance.
ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread