What is your favorite MD for trashy ghost towns?

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been through a few machines trying to find that one that can maneuver an old town site. There have been times I really wanted to visit a GT but didn't bother making the trip because I didn't think any detectors I owned at the time could handle it. There is always tons of shredded corrugated steel, old car parts, nails, highly mineralized ground, etc. I have hopes for the Deus I picked up last year but haven't had a lot of time on it. If Sabisch schedules a Deus class somewhere out west I intend to be there and hopefully maximize my time in the old towns. I am really hoping the fast response of the Deus will help pick some targets between the trash. Maybe the new F75Ltd or even the upcoming Makro Racer might be worthy. So what is your favorite detector in these extreme conditions and why? What machines have not worked out well for you in ghost towns? Do you have any favorite GT settings you care to share?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several people I know use the Deus in very trashy conditions and they say it's a great machine for sniffing out the good finds among the junk.

Regards + HH

Bill

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've taken my F-19 one time to such a place. Settings were 0 disc, V-break 39, no notch. Everything above iron (39) is a VCO tone. I dug several old shotgun brasses, a button, a brass whatzit, but not any coins. The 19 does well in high trash. I've taken several machines here including, etrac, sovereign, and tejon, but found this F-19 is amazing in these type places. There was still tons of shredded tin everywhere causing constant overloads. The 10x5 elliptical is well suited for these areas also.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread