Part # 3 Carrara Nevada . On The Ghost Town Trail With Hoss .

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
DSCN4277.JPG DSCN4287.JPG DSCN4284.JPG DSCN4285.JPG DSCN4288.JPG DSCN4291.JPG DSCN4319.JPG DSCN4322.JPG DSCN4323.JPG DSCN4324.JPG DSCN4326.JPG DSCN4332.JPG Carrara had 2 claims to fame , ones that people actually did come from miles around to see ! The first was the 65' tall wooden derrick that lifted the blocks out of the quarry . The second was a fountain ...... yes a fountain . The town newspaper the Carrara Obelisk liked to brag " it was the only public fountain in Nevada ! " I don't know if I am buying in to that one ! But I am certain it was the only one in the Death Valley region . " Meet me at the fountain ! " was the catch phrase and people did ! The fountain sat directly in the center of town in a small park with a number of North Carolina Poplar Trees planted about . When in full operation this thing would shoot a stream of water 30 feet in the air ! And at night it was lit up by colored lights , what a sight that must have been ! At its peak about 400 hardy souls called Carrara home and everyone thought Carrara would last forever . But like so many times before in so many other towns and mining camps dotted across Nevada ....... it was not meant to be . Just when things were finally all coming together the Nevada-California Power Company decided they were not making enough profit and they cut off all power to the small towns in Southern Nevada . Since all the heavy equipment was powered by electricity this effectively shut Carrara down . All the towns gathered together to protest and get an injunction but to no avail . The company tried a gasoline generator but it was beset with constant problems . And soon people started drifting away . When the post office closed on September 15 , 1924 it was the death knell for Carrara . Thanks a heap for coming along ! hope you had a good time ! Perhaps someday we can " meet at the fountain ! " Hoss

Last edited:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Meeting at the fountain" sounds like a great idea! We haven't met up in a long time. Or how about Tonopah and a trip to Cimmaron?

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Have been planning a trip to Death Valley to check on my tea kettle . We DSCN4845.JPG DSCN4865.JPG DSCN4895.JPG DSCN2451.JPG could meet at Carrara , spend some time there . Then go in to DV via Titus Canyon then over to Ubehebe Crater on to Tea Kettle Junction and then camp over night just past the Racetrack . We have had some good rain the wild flowers should be spectacular this year . You interested ? Hoss

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like later in the year for me. I will be in touch.

OP
OP
HOSSNV

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
It is Bull-M . And there are many many more here in Nevada and Eastern California . If you ever get the chance to come West make sure you pick up a copy of Stan Pahers Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps . You can usually find a decent copy on ebay for 20 bucks or so . Thanks for taking a peak ! Hoss

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hoss,
I agree about Pahers book; actually, I use it to follow your travels through NV.
Twenty years ago, I used the same book traveling all over NV looking for old baseball fields and racetracks.
That trip was a blast, until I got stuck in caliche in Jumbo.
All the best,
Don....

aptarmbps

Jan 4, 2016
Boise
Detector(s) used
Minelabs X-terra 705

Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find anything good worth mentioning?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
A buddy and I detected Carrara several years ago, interesting place, but we didn't find anything exciting. Also found an old RR station out in the desert, found a few buttons, no coins.

Lot's of interesting places to check out around there, enjoy!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR station in the desert dang I wish you had pics Great post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread