Eckley,PA Coal Region Patch Villiage/Pics added

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
A few weeks ago two of my nieces asked me to chaprone each of their field trips . I'll start with the Eckley Patch Villiage visit. Eckley is one of the hundreds of company mining towns or "patches" built in the anthracite region of Pennsylvania during the nineteenth century. Before the 1850s Eckley was not a mining town, but a rural, forested community called Shingletown. It was located on land owned by the Tench Coxe Estate. The inhabitants took advantage of the surrounding woodlands and made shingles to be sold in White Haven and Hazleton. These goods were traded for the necessities of life, such as “whiskey, port, and tobacco”.
In 1854, the mining firm of Sharpe, Leisenring and Company, later known as Sharpe, Weiss and Company, leased land from the Tench Coxe Estate of Philadelphia and began work on the Council Ridge Colliery and the village of Eckley. The village, built near the colliery where the coal was mined and processed, provided housing for the miners and their families. Its stores, schools, and churches supplied the economic, educational, and religious needs of the villagers. By owning the village, the company had greater control over the lives of their workers.

After 1875, when the Sharpe, Weiss lease expired, the Coxe family either operated the colliery themselves or leased it to other coal companies. During this period many changes took place. To Eckley came a succession of immigrant groups seeking economic opportunities and religious or political freedom. English, Welsh, and German miners were supplanted by the Irish immigrants and then by southern and eastern Europeans. These groups formed an ethnic mosaic typical of the anthracite region.

Strip mining gradually replaced underground mining. Steam shovels stripped away the land around Eckley as well as part of the village. The work force at the colliery and the population of Eckley gradually declined. From a population that numbered over one thousand in 1870, only few villagers remain.

During the liquidation of the Tench Coxe Estate, Eckley was sold to coal company owner George Huss. The village was separated from the mining operation in 1969 when the Huss Coal Company sold Eckley to the Anthracite Historical Site Museum, Inc., a group of Hazleton area businessmen. They deeded it to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1971 to be administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission

The old Council Ridge Colliery is gone, but its village survives. Eckley preserves a way of life which dominated the anthracite region for over 140 years.The Molly Maguires a 1970 film was filmed in Eckley in 1968. The town was so unchanged from its 1870s appearance that the only major alteration needed for filming was to remove television antennas and install underground electric.

The wooden "coal breaker" featured heavily in the film was built as a prop. It received little or no maintenance over the years and, even though it has been called a tinderbox, it still stands today — almost 40 years later.

The filming of the movie resulted in the town's being saved from demolition, and it was afterward turned into a mining museum under the control of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Eckley's self-imposed nickname is "the ugliest town in America." Im working on posting the pics.. Their are still around 15 residents that won't leave.

Attachments

• Eckleypa.JPG
    Eckleypa.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 1,471
  • house.JPG
    house.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,352
  • Laborerdoublehouse.JPG
    Laborerdoublehouse.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,356
  • Immaculateconceptioncatholicchurch.JPG
    Immaculateconceptioncatholicchurch.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Protestantchurchmineownersplaceofworship.JPG
    Protestantchurchmineownersplaceofworship.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 1,324
  • Mollymovieprop.JPG
    Mollymovieprop.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 1,336
  • patchtowntoys.JPG
    patchtowntoys.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,299
  • claymarblesinsidevisitorcenterateckley.JPG
    claymarblesinsidevisitorcenterateckley.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 1,332

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
The link doesn't work, want me to sign in.

This is a great post. My family has a coal mining background in Northern West Virginia. The writings of yours, along with the pics, are treasure indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

DM

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics. My in-laws still live in the anthracite region (Shamokin) and father in law was a miner till he retired. When we first met, it was different going to a house heated with coal. But a great feeling in the morning. Great people in small towns and great in-laws too. I thank my lucky stars for them. There is a great restaurant called Mollies...Has a coal mining/Molly Maguires theme to it. I think it is in Locust Gap, but could be wrong.

Apolla

Mar 12, 2007
Gwynns island , va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Your photos are great! I can't believe I lived in Mountain Top (near White haven) all my life and have NEVER been there... (heard of it though) I'm almost embarraseed. Thanks for sharing those pics and story. Would you know if some of the old Coal breakers are still around? Last one I think that was still technically standing was the old Ashley PA one... Is that still around but boared off??? ANyone???

And.... have you heard of Concrete City in Nanticoke PA? That's a neat place!

Apolla

Mar 12, 2007
Gwynns island , va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Not because I'm Polish....but... it's Spelled Haluski!! There is no "sh" in it...along with the noodles and onions (Even though I pronounce it with the sh in it too). And... they served it at all the football games from Berwick to Tunkhannock! Thanks for making us all hungry!

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Apolla said:
Not because I'm Polish....but... it's Spelled Haluski!! There is no "sh" in it...along with the noodles and onions (Even though I pronounce it with the sh in it too). And... they served it at all the football games from Bewick to Tunkhannock! Thanks for making us all hungry!

So make up a batch and deliver please....I'll provide my address and a reasonable tip.

BTW...I just typed what the recipe list said.... :icon_scratch:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apolla said:
Not because I'm Polish....but... it's Spelled Haluski!! There is no "sh" in it...along with the noodles and onions (Even though I pronounce it with the sh in it too). And... they served it at all the football games from Berwick to Tunkhannock! Thanks for making us all hungry!

Is there a Difference between Haluski & hallupki ? or is it just another Pronunciation ?

I'v only heard of halupki's around here. Usually when reporters Cover the Bloomsburg Fair.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
jeff of pa said:
Apolla said:

Is there a Difference between Haluski & hallupki ? or is it just another Pronunciation ?

I'v only heard of halupki's around here. Usually when reporters Cover the Bloomsburg Fair.

Halupkies are rolled cabbage with a meat/rice filling. I grew up calling them "Pigs in the Blanket" and usually make a couple batches when the weather turns cooler.

Haluski is cabbage and noodles.

Now I'll probably get chastised from all the Polish folks out there! ::)

mazakindian

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2015
Carbon county, Pa
Detector(s) used
MPx Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visited some years back, we live in Lehighton so Eckley isn't that far. When we were there there were maybe 2-3 families still living there.…

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read and pics. I wish I lived there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread