Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I suggest you check out from your library a book entitled "Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps" by Stanley W. Pahor.
You will find dozens of interesting places (and pictures) along 95 in that (1970) book.
LC No.70-116733
ISBN 0-8310-7075-7
Don...
PS: Right now would be an ideal time to go; between the heat and the snow.

HOSSNV

Jun 24, 2007
Pretty good deal on ebay . Check my post on Carrara NV . Lots of fun to be had , lots of places to explore . A word of caution . Don't go up to quarries . It is a long hard 3 miles and when you get to the quarries it is a very dangerous place and there is not much to see . On the other hand if you are willing to get out and walk around a bit in the town site you will be happily rewarded . thanks for taking a peak ! Hoss Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps by Stanley w Paher 1970 Hardcover 0831070757 | eBay

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Highway 95 runs from the Oregon border at McDermitt, south to the California border south of Searchlight. That is a distance of several hundred miles. If you can narrow that down a bit, you will likely get more specific answers. In Humboldt County alone I can count near 30 ghost towns, near ghosts, old mining camps, mill sites, and long abandoned small military camps within 15 miles of Hwy 95.

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We are going to start on 95 off hi-way 80 going toward marietta

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very hot in summer but that's the best time to hunt,

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Getting ready for our delayed trip to Nevada in October. Has anyone explored the New York canyon area near Mina Nevada off hi way 95 ?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
If you are accustomed to the unique rigors of the Nevada outback you should be ok.

New York Canyon has a serviceable road, so if you have good 4wd with relatively high clearance, mobility should be good. Please carry multiple spares. The last time I was in that area, I had two sidewall failures in two days.

There are several current claims in the area, so be sure of land status if you plan on any mining activity.

There are several dozen abandoned mines, mining camps, mill camps, ghost towns, ranches, and other signs of the 19th and 20th century man within 50 miles of Mina. Mina and Luning themselves offer an opportunity to explore older structures and junk piles. As I noted above, be sure of land status.

Be safe. Document everything. Enjoy.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
infotraker

infotraker

Dec 20, 2013
Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We just got back from a great rv and off-road trip to Nevada out of the town of Mina. Our destination was the old townsite of Marietta and surrounding area. About 30 miles into a gravel and dirt road both rvs got stuck in a sand area on the road. Luckily We had my off-road vw buggy of which I drove 30 miles back to cell service to get a tow truck. Eventually we got back on solid ground and found Marietta 15 miles closer to the freeway. We had a great time exploring the area, mines, old cabins and lots of interesting rocks and metal objects. We also spent several days out of the Town of Mina exploring some of the canyon areas. We attempted to get into New York canyon but my friends jeep did not have enough clearance for some of the roads. Also most of the interesting locations were at least 10 miles into the mountains. We will plan to go back to the Marietta area again to explore further.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glad you had a good time. Getting the RV stuck in the sand had to be troublesome, but you made it through.

I have yet to visit Marietta, but I have been through a lot of the Pilot Mountains. Yes, some areas require high clearance 4WD. Thus far, I have never needed a tow while in Nevada, but I have helped a few people out of jams over the years.

As far as base areas for exploring that area, I am partial to Tonopah. From my perspective, it is centered well for exploration of ghost mines, ghost camps, and ghost towns. In addition, there are many active mines within a few hours drive. The high point, for me, is the abundance of hot and warm springs, also within a few hours drive. Yes, there are areas of Nevada with more of everything I mentioned, but I like the area around Tonopah.

I hope your continued exploration of rural Nevada brings you great joy.

Time for coffee.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on 95 last month from Fallon to Yerington. Along the the hole stretch it's neat to take time and explore the mining history of places like Gold Field, Rhyolite, Tonopah and Hawthorne which in that town was the last mine I did business with maybe 10 years ago now in that area. I think there's a couple small operators still holding out in around Gold Field, but they ain't got any money to waist my time on. The Yerington copper mine development is where I go once a month now. You'll definitely see a lot of old relics, but just about every other old mine camp you stumble on is private owned and you'll be considered trespassing poking around to close at some of them. It's just about illegal to pocket any kind of old tin can, bottle or stone artifacts in all of Nevada these days, as the state would rather you just enjoy their rich history and leave it for others to see, as so much of it has been toted off. I always thought the restaurants in those towns like Beatty, Hawthorne and Tonopah served up some good home cooking. Overall it's a great place to get away from the big cities and enjoy the wide open spaces.

Maokia

Tenderfoot
May 16, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you had a good time. Getting the RV stuck in the sand had to be troublesome, but you made it through.

I have yet to visit Marietta, but I have been through a lot of the Pilot Mountains. Yes, some areas require high clearance 4WD. Thus far, I have never needed a tow while in Nevada, but I have helped a few people out of jams over the years.

As far as base areas for exploring that area, I am partial to Tonopah. From my perspective, it is centered well for exploration of ghost mines, ghost camps, and ghost towns. In addition, there are many active mines within a few hours drive. The high point, for me, is the abundance of hot and warm springs, also within a few hours drive. Yes, there are areas of Nevada with more of everything I mentioned, but I like the area around Tonopah.

I hope your continued exploration of rural Nevada brings you great joy.

Time for coffee.

Well said! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions