Connecticut Ghost towns

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Samuel, you sure are looking for the easy way. I doubt if anyone PMs you with any good info. We all do research online or at local libraries or county offices to find our own prospective locations. What's in it for someone to divulge info they gained through their own sweat and invested time?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google is your friend....

OP
OP
H

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
# 3. Google is my friend, only if she is a great looking lady. I had google ghost towns and buried treasure for many years. I am really seeking unpublished information and stories.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK; so you know about Bara-Hack, Bloomfield, Cuties Island, Dudley Town, Easton, Gay City, and other Conn.ghost towns.
Have you also exhausted speaking with the historians of each of those areas?
Don...... (former New Canaanite)

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get really good USGS Typo map from the first USGS work along the CT / NY line on the NY side up to and including Wingdale NY - Dover Plains NY - The ridge that runs along the border had a road that passed through the towns of " the old dover plains " before the folks moved off the mountain to the valley when the railroad was put in Thats enough info to get you started

OP
OP
H

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was young, there was many farms and open lands, and no treasure hunters, no metal detectors in Connecticut. Since then, most farms and open lands were sold, now there are more treasure hunters then I can count. I am sure that people search known ghost towns, and do not want to go back, because they believe there are no more coins. People in Connecticut purchased ghost towns to build buildings and make money.
#5. All these ghost towns were well know for over 30 years, and search by many treasure hunters, and there are land owners who refused to people to do anything on their lands.
Thanks for the all helpful information, but I was asking for information on ghost towns that was never written about. Land is very expenses, and also property taxes. Once where there were farms and open lands, are business and residents buildings.

Many treasures hunters who had moved out of Connecticut and no plans to come back for treasure hunting, may want to share information with me. I do the same if I move out of state.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Personally, I doubt there are ghost towns in Conn. that remain-- yet have not been written about.
More likely, if they did exist they have been absorbed into modern communities that have since been highly developed.
But if you hear of such a place, you'll let us know--right?
Don......
PS: I went to Connecticut high school in the 50s.

OP
OP
H

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We must be about the same age, 73 years old. I agree with your above comments. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
H

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK; so you know about Bara-Hack, Bloomfield, Cuties Island, Dudley Town, Easton, Gay City, and other Conn.ghost towns.
Have you also exhausted speaking with the historians of each of those areas?
Don...... (former New Canaanite)
Thanks, they are well known ghost towns and search by many people. Dudley Town do not allow people to search there.

OP
OP
H

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I doubt there are ghost towns in Conn. that remain-- yet have not been written about.
More likely, if they did exist they have been absorbed into modern communities that have since been highly developed.
But if you hear of such a place, you'll let us know--right?
Don......
PS: I went to Connecticut high school in the 50s.
The bad news is that you are correct. That is why I am asking for unpublish stories. Right, I let you know about such ghost towns.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
99.9 percent or more of my old coins were found in towns that still exist. This includes old towns, and new suburbs where farmers lost coins on spots that are now city parks or public schoolyards. You should not feel hopeless about sites that have been searched before. Try to calculate how many square inches there are in an acre, to help you see how this is possible. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions