Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out exploring and came across Meramec, Ok. once a boom town butnow only a few families still there. Several abandoned houses and vacant lots. The "downtown" area is now all vacant storefronts. Just a little post office remains. 30 miles west of Tulsa.

Attachments

• Cemetary near Maremac, OK .jpg
    Cemetary near Maremac, OK .jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 950
  • First Baptist Church Maremec, OK.jpg
    First Baptist Church Maremec, OK.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 933
  • Lone Chimney Church.jpg
    Lone Chimney Church.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 927
  • Meramac Bank 1903.jpg
    Meramac Bank 1903.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 935

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Monty....ditto on TT's question. Well? Don't hold back on us, ol' buddy. ;)
----Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, never did get back there. Got side tracked on some old home places and searched files all summer but never did find the owners. A trust of some type owned nearly all of them. Just waiting on spring weather to get back out there now stoney. I'm all for it. Monty

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Monty, that would be a super chance to hit those places. WOW. IF I get back that way later this year, I'd love to hit it with you. Thanks for the update. Will be hoping to hear more.
---Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mel, any time you are planning on coming down this way give me a shout a couple days ahead of time and I will try to see what we can do. Monty

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Monty thanks for the tip. I finished hunting the place and found a few gold coins. :D Let me know about some more will ya.
OK I was just joking. Looks like a good place good luck.
Burdie

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tried to do some newspaper research on this place and couldn't find anything >:( :'(

I'll try again later.....
Annmarie

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't able to find much on it either. Don't know if it's a oil town or farm town or what. At one time it did have a bank so there must have been some kind of commerce there at one time. Monty

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Monty,

Trying to give this a go again....I can't find anything relating to MERAMAC, MAREMAC, MERAMACK, MAREMACK...(gotta' try variations of spellings ;))...

but I did find this. Have you heard or seen this book? Maybe it will help with Meramac, OK...

"Geography of Oklahoma", "Ghosts Towns of Oklahoma" and there are others by: John W. Morris.

Here's a google search I did ... this site list the books he has published. Just maybe, this town may be listed!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...pe=ss&index=books&field-author=John W. Morris

Good Luck...if I come across anything...I'll post for you,
Annmarie

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey Monty...

Just me again :)....ok...well, I'm not one to give up so easy...and I will look and look until I find something....well, as my post before this one stated...I searched the variation of spellings...well, got two more variations from searching the web....

And one that I got a hit on was Maramec...found an article about a guy, Master Sgt. Hobert A. Baker, who was a native of Maramec, Oklahoma. He was the Sergeant Major for the station hospital at Camp Barkeley. He enlisted in the Regular Army on 15 Sept 1937. He graduated Maramec High School and prior to enlisting, was a postal employee at his home town post office. His parents were Mr. and Mrs. George E. Baker and were still living in Maramec. (from The Abilene Reporter-News; Abilene, Texas; 18 November 1941)

So now I have something to work with...I'll see if I can research anything on the school.

Ok...from the Lawton Constitution; Lawton, Oklahoma; 26 February 1948...I find an article about a man, Lee Newlin, who would have been 80 years old on 26 Feb 1948, that has been a lineman on his privately-owned telephone exchanges, the last of which is his 80-subscriber Maramec system. He had been doing this for over 40 years.

Ok...back to searching more ;)

Think you are right about it being oil related. Just found an article from the DERRICK; Oil City, Pennsylvania; 31 August 1920..that mentions the Parks Brothers and others in section 5-20-6, Maramec District, Pawnee County, drilled into an unlooked for sand at 2.470 feet and the well flowed 90 barrels an hour for 24 hours and then fell to 90 barrels every three hours after which it stopped flowing, perhaps because of the 300 feet of cavings that clogged the hole. This well created quite a stir in the trade because it came at a time when the Lake Maramec Oil Co's "discovery" well in section 1-20-6 (or 4-20-6, hard to read) quit producing from the Skinner sand...

ok...back to more researching...:)

Another article list another Maramec, Oklahoma native born 7 May 1933...he was 41 in 1974. Lum(?) Carlton Lasater. He was a retired oilfield worker as well as an Army Veteran of the Korean War.

Back to researching...:) I'll find something here soon...I just know it! :)

E.M. Easley, in 1935, was a Maramec farmer.
Burneti Cave, in 1935, was a Maramec Gasoline Jobber (what's a jobber??? that's a new one to me)
(this is from a photo printed in the Mason City Globe-Gazette; Mason City, Iowa; 15 February 1935.

...researching.....

Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Kramer of Maramec, Okla., announce the engagement and approaching marriage of their daughter, Miss Waneta Kramer, to Royce Fulton, son of Mr. and Mrs. B.O. Fulton, of Latta.
The wedding will be an event of December 19 in the United Brethern Church of Maramec with the pastor Rev. Jerry Armstrong of Stillwater, officiating.
Miss Kramer and Mr. Fulton both are students at Oklahoma A. and M. College, Stillwater.
(The Ada Evening News; Ada, Oklahoma; 29 November 1953)

.....researching......

Marriage announcement of the above couple..states the church is Evangelical United Brethren Church in Maramec.
(The Ada Evening News; Ada, Oklahoma; 28 January 1954)

.....researching....

In 1973, Mrs. Hazel Gripe was living in Maramec, Oklahoma....as per the obiturary of her brother, Vernon C. Willis of Eaton.

........researching.......

In 1963, Jerry Quigley was living in Maramec, Oklahoma as per a marriage annoucement of his brother, Thomas.

.......researching.....

In 1910, Nellie B. Lawrence was living in Maramec, Oklahoma.

.....researching....

Daniel Maynard Green was born 21 October 1897 in Maramec, Oklahoma territory and moved with his parents t Palacios in 1908. This is as per his obiturary from 1972.

........researching.......

In August 1931...a family reunion was held north of Stanley in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Bert Adler who were living in Maramec, Oklahoma. This was the POND Family Reunion.

......researching....

In August 1931, Frank Adler, his wife and two children, Melvin and Irene were living in Maramec, Oklahoma.

.......researching.......

In 1995, there was a Misty Meadows Farm in Maramec, Oklahoma. Fayette D. Curtis was the owner of NICE MISTAKE (in 1995, the mare was 7 yrs old). Curtis lives in Cleveland, Ohio. Curtis is a CEO of an inspection business and operates the Misty Meadows Farm.

....ok....I'll continue to search...trying to really find older articles of this town, that apparently was an oil town.

I provided those names above as well as some places listed in the articles...that can help you in your search of this place. It doesn't quite seem to be a complete ghost town yet...but it's on it's way of being one. :)

Hope I can find some really good stuff for you and the spelling I have been using is MARAMEC.

Have a great night,
Annmarie

PS: searching the net, I ran across this...you were right...it is a GHOST TOWN :):):)

http://www.ghostsofamerica.com/7/Oklahoma_Maramec_ghost_sightings.html

Here's another site that might interest you:

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ok/state/pawnee/index.html

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
AnnMarie, FYI--a gasoline jobber is basically a wholesaler. He buys from the refinery and then sells to various service stations or convenience stores.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
stoney56 said:
AnnMarie, FYI--a gasoline jobber is basically a wholesaler. He buys from the refinery and then sells to various service stations or convenience stores.

Thanks Stoney...in all the research I have done in my genealogical research...that is one job occupation I have never run across. I will add that one to my list. Thank you very much for telling me what that meant!!

Annmarie

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
TreasureTales said:
Annmarie, awesome research. You must be good at your genealogical work.
Awww Thanks Treasure Tales....I just love researching. I love looking through TNet and finding articles about things people found or about cities and stuff they have an interest in....some are real challenges...like this one...still haven't found any great info on this town....but it's out there....just have to keep looking.

I love genealogy and the I love the history of people!!! Hopefully this keeps my mind sharp for a very very long time!....it's almost like doing a puzzle and finding all the pieces.

Maybe someday I'll go professional...LOL...naw....doubt it...I don't charge for my research and if I did....I could only charge for copies of articles made, not for my research time, unless I became certified...and it's not a big deal to do so....because when you give to others, it always comes back to you threefold!!!!

Ever need help...just hollar and I'll do my best to see what I can locate :).....

Again, Thank You,
Annmarie ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread