jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if Detecting allowed in all. ASK FIRST.

Curtin Village

Centre County

was an iron plantation community about 1810. Founded by Roland Curtin, the last old-style furnace in the U.S. was in "blast" here. Curtin's 30,000 acres provided food for the entire community, and Curtin Village became largely self-sufficient. The furnace ceased operation in 1922. The 1830's Federal-style mansion is resored and furnished in the period. Guided tours are available. Train rides from Bellefonte to Curtin Village are available through Bellefonte Historic Railroad.

No residents, PA 150 (former 220) 2.8 miles NE of Mileburg.

REMAINS: Old Mill, 1830 Plantation house, couple of houses.

----------------------

Fallbrook Tioga County

Fallbrook borough was formed in 1864. It was a coal mining town.
declined due to railroad service being stopped,
cemetery is amazing. A majority of the deceased are children. The ground has settled so much that you can see where the caskets are.
But Don't hunt the Cemetery.

no residents. From Morris Run drive northeast out of town, road will turn to dirt. at four corners (no stop), turn left. approx 1/2 mile turn right on hemlock road. turn on first road to left, park at gate, cemetary is beyond the gate.

-----------------------------------------

LANDRUS

TIOGA COUNTY

No residents. Located within Tioga State Forest just outside of Arnot. Passing through Arnot, going west, as soon as you leave the main part of town, take a left on Landrus Rd. (is marked). Town is approx. 3 miles (you will see a marker on right side that says landrus...), be sure to check out the waterfall/swimming hole on the north side of town.
REMAINS: foundations, road beds, railroad grade

Formed in 1882 as lumber mill town. In 1888 it was home to the first coal mine to use electricity. Deserted in early 1900's (1910-1915ish) because the railroads changed. A famed baseball player named Walter Blair was apparently born here in 1883.

Landrus and the surrounding mines and watersheds were the sites for some of the first acid mine cleanup operations in Pennsylvania. For some current pictures see website www.insanart.com.

---------------------------------------------

OLEANA

POTTER COUNTY

The park area is referred to as the Black Forest of Pennsylvania. Its dense tree cover and mountainous terrain attracts thousands of campers who bask in the serenity of the forested scenery along Kettle Creek. The park is named after Ole Bornemann Bull, the famous Norwegian violinist who toured this country in the 1850s. Ole Bull grew fond of the Potter County landscape and attempted to settle a Norwegian colony in this area in 1852.
Ole Bull State Park consists of 132 acres along the Kettle Creek Valley in Potter County. This area is called the Black Forest because of its once dense tree cover, mountainous terrain and wilderness habitat. The park is along PA 144, 18 miles south of Galeton and 26 miles north of Renovo.

----------------------------------

PEALE

REMAINS: many foundations, streets, mines

Clearfield County

http://www.peale.org/

--------------------------------------

Scotia Village

Center County

In about 1880's the town started up as a iron mining town called scotia and in about 1950's the town completly died out. while mining they hit a underground spring and flooded the mine shafts

No current residents its in scotia woods around scotia shooting rage . there is a bunch of cement structors and old mining shafts there is also a few wagon trails and a paved walkway cause there is also a realy old car off of one of the paths thats all rusted and shot full of holes
REMAINS: Old mining shafts filled with watter cement ruins and foundations

---------------------------------------

WISTAR

Clinton County

This village had its own station and school (which was moved to the top of Keating Mountain) Mine track ran to a mine on top of the mountain. All that remains is one old building, which is now a hunting camp, and the remains of foundations and the mine tracks.

Will need to walk into the old village along the railroad tracks from Keating or along a railroad access road Sinnamahoning end.
REMAINS: One old building and the remains of old railroad station sign, foundations and mining tracks

-----------------------------

ZANMORE

Clinton County

This village used to have its own train station/express office circa 1900. Now all that remains are some overgrown roads, foundations and walls.

have to walk in to the old village along the railroad access road as there is a railroad gate that blocks access.
REMAINS: Foundations only

alissam

Aug 30, 2011
Are any of these still there? Sorry- am new to this forum but have been searching for ghost towns for years. Can you give me solid directions to the Fallbrook Cemetery please? (if it's still there?) THANK YOU, if possible. -Alissa
[email protected]

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alissam said:
Are any of these still there? Sorry- am new to this forum but have been searching for ghost towns for years. Can you give me solid directions to the Fallbrook Cemetery please? (if it's still there?) THANK YOU, if possible. -Alissa
[email protected]

Not solid Directions, I'v never been

But looking at map

Morris Run Road (2014) north N.e. of Morris.
becomes River Road.

Travel to Fallbrook Road turn Left (North)

travel noth to Y turn right on Y onto HEMLOCK Rd.

watch for dirt road & Gate on left

New Imageg.JPG

alissam

Aug 30, 2011
Thank you so much- I sincerely appreciate your help with this and this forum as a resource in general!

Al/Lindley

Greenie
Jul 20, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landrus Pa.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good ghost towns in Northcentral, Pa to look around.

I have a 60 page booklet on Landrus Pa."Pennsylvania's Ghost Town and Electric Coal Mine' published in 1985 by Curtis Lytle of Wellsboro Pa. He covers the Topography and Town Layout, the Bear Run mine, Who lived there, Schools, Town life and Characters. It's interesting reading but i don't know if the booklet is still available.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread