Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• P3260193.JPG
    P3260193.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 213

burgessbogy

May 15, 2012
Is there a lid with it? That's a nice one, looks like it could be an "edited" one - some Ball jars were made with what's called a 'third L.' It was an extra loop at the end. Several of those 3Ls were sanded down to a regular 2L, but if the former L is still even somewhat visible, it's awesome.

Attachments

• image-3436358524.jpg
    image-3436358524.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 196

HulingirlDigginNC

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2012
Lexington, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this is a good for sure way to help Identify the years? I like it and makes sense and helped me with alot of mine that was in question....Thank You so much, you have been most helpful to me!:thumbsup:

Is there a lid with it? That's a nice one, looks like it could be an "edited" one - some Ball jars were made with what's called a 'third L.' It was an extra loop at the end. Several of those 3Ls were sanded down to a regular 2L, but if the former L is still even somewhat visible, it's awesome.

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think it is a great way to identify the time period, i think the ball mason webcite has all their logos on there somewere, but i am not sure, Great Mason jar though! HH

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Several of those 3Ls were sanded down to a regular 2L

Hello burgessbogy,

I don't know where you are getting this "information," but it is complete nonsense.

"All 3L embossed Ball MASON jar moulds were cut by hand. Because of that fact, there can be an endless variety of embossing styles, errors/mistakes, lettering size & mould reworking. Another words, total inconsistency.
• For the Ball Collector, this makes for a fascinating & endless hunt for just such peculiar examples.
• 3L & 2L Uall MASON jars were made in the hundred of thousands..." balljars.net

ballbrothers530.jpg

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello River Rat,

That site is very informative, I've used it also. His statement about the "sanding down" of the 3L's is, however, utter nonsense, as in there is no factual basis for his assertion. I've seen equally as uninformed supposition before, and always try to correct it. Mr. Clay makes no such claim about the 3L's on his site, nor would he. It is just plain Wrong.

"I like the really crude embossed Balll (3-L) MASON quarts now; the ones that look like the mould cutter was drunk when the mould was cut. If you have any of these jars that have *extremely* crude embossing, drop me an email and send me a pic of the jar." Dating Ball jars

crudes.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread