Any thoughts appreciated

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
This is a small greenish blue bottle that I think is a Inkwell. It's two inches tall. I can't read the markings very well, but I can make out H C with other words that I can't figure out- below H C is the word "Step " but it appears to have other letters after that. Any help is appreciated-

image-843200615.jpg

Attachments

• image-275363958.jpg
    image-275363958.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 112
  • image-3305037029.jpg
    image-3305037029.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image-2608752131.jpg
    image-2608752131.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 98

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Darryl,

It's a burst top bell shaped inkwell, likely British made. I believe it's "H. C. Stephens, London"

How are you finding your glassy goodies?

See this one: H.C. STEPHENS. LONDON. BELL INK. | eBay

"Stephens' Ink was invented by the British physician, Dr Henry Stephens (1796-1864), who in 1832 first developed his indelible "blue-black writing fluid" that became the basis of a successful manufacturing enterprise lasting over 130 years. Stephens' ink revolutionised office life in the latter half of the 19th century saving clerical workers much time previously spent mixing powdered inks and cleaning nibs. Being indelible and non-fading, Stephens' ink was made mandatory by the British government for all for legal documents and ships' log books.

In 1848, Dr Stephens moved production of his inks to Finchley in North London, were he bought and renovated Grove House, establishing a laboratory amongst the outbuildings for his personal research into new recipes for making inks and wood stains. After Dr Stephens collapsed and died at Farringdon Station in 1864, the business was taken over by his son Henry Charles Stephens (1841-1918) who turned the business into an international operation, making ?Stephens? Ink? a household name throughout the world. In the early 1880s, the ink factory and offices of H.C. Stephens moved from Aldersgate Street, London, to 275 Holloway Road, Holloway, and then in 1892 the factory moved again to nearby Gillespie Road. Popularly known as "Inky" Stephens, Henry Charles served as a conservative British MP from 1887-1900 and was a prominent local figure around Finchley. In 1874 he bought Avenue House at Finchley, with 10 acres of adjoining land that he turned into extensive gardens and upon his death bequeathed the house and grounds to the local community - it today operates as a museum housing the Stephens Collection.

Imported Stephens Ink was being advertised in Australian newspapers as early as the 1850s. The company exhibited at the Sydney International Exhibition of 1879 and later established a distribution office in Sydney that was managed by William Mould in the early 20th century. After changes to the Australian import duties on inks, a local manufacturing works was established in the early 1930s by Stephens Inks (Australia) Ltd. and in 1935, the company had a new two storey factory designed by architects B.B. Wilshire & N. Hodges built on the Pacific Highway, North Sydney. The ink was sold in locally-made glass bottles that remained the property of the company and were collected for reuse.successful worldwide company for over 130 years." Sign - 'Stephens Inks', Thermometer, Metal & Enamel, 1920s - Museum Victoria

168902_Large.jpg

OP
OP
darryl

darryl

Oct 13, 2012
Surf you're a great source if info and I do appreciate it. I hit flea markets every wknd but I get most of my goodies from individuals that had collectors in their family. I also pic up some off ebay- especially if I think I can dig up some good info on the item. Thanks for your help Surf

detectingarizona

Feb 4, 2013
tempe, arizona, usa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter challenger, and Ace 250, gold nugget bucket!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a friend selling one like that one right now, but the color is diffrent i think, :) great find! GL HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread