Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sea levels

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    993 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Are we talking about the same Al Gore that invented the internet

Bottom line, the weather is the weather and it will change for better, or worse. You can also look at recent history as we did have a so called mini age age in the late 1600's and again in the 1700's, but nothing long lasting. This mini ice age was preceded by unusually warm weather. To say we had a mild winter this year is an understatement

Like they say in Boston,
    "If you don't like the weather, stick around for 5 minutes and it will change."

us
    Pronounced "Shadow" - ---= Wolfpack Forever! =---

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2090 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Powers View Post
    Again I see with Chad's statements a bunch of platitudes and especially conspiracy ideas.
    "As with anything suspicious" and "In fact, the truth be known" are common statements we hear in politics, with salesmen and those with a conspiracy bent; both remarks meaningless.
    And again from Chad, "If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck" it is a duck and this best describes his arguments as being light as a feather and having no substance.
    Actually, I got all three of those statements from an early 20th century Native American bounty hunter . . . who hunted bounty in the Indian Territory of Oklahoma --- my grand dad.

Thanks Spartacus for being a "voice of reason" on this thread.

Austin, scream a little louder and put your hands over your head while jumping up and down. The visual effect will be funnier.

Now, go back to my previous post and do the research instead of trying to change the path the thread was following. It's called "Google Earth", and it's safe to use.
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which ones to use ... and their meaning:

"Know" is related to knowledge, while "No" is a negative response.

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2090 times
    Cache Hunting
    Has anyone else noticed that the same folks who believe in MMGW also believe that Al Gore invented and perfected the internet?
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which ones to use ... and their meaning:

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

us
    Oct 2009
    2146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadeaux View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the same folks who believe in MMGW also believe that Al Gore invented and perfected the internet?
    No, but I've noticed a lot of the same people who believe in MMGW also believe the government really is here to help and never does anything bad. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1804 times
    Why are global warming/cooling/changey type believers so quick to be nasty? Does it help their arguments? Does it change facts?

Guess it helps them feel superior in a small way.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2090 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    Why are global warming/cooling/changey type believers so quick to be nasty? Does it help their arguments? Does it change facts?

Guess it helps them feel superior in a small way.
    Truthfully, I believe it is to bait thinking people into responding out of character. They try to provoke us so that we look like the hate mongers they in fact are.

I just try to imagine them all in their cute "chicken little" outfits running around like the keystone cops and screaming in a Robin Williams cocaine induced hysteria voice saying: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! All hail Al Gore! All hail Al Gore! Save us President Obama! Save us President Obama!"
    Dave44 likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    704 times
    Global average sea level rise 2mm/yr. However where you actually live is more important. If you live in more Northern states or Canada, the continent is actually rising due to isostatic rebound, and sea level will rise less than the global average there. This means that since continents float on the mantle of the earth, Ice sheets during the last ice age weighed the continents down and they actually sunk deeper into the mantle. Since the ice sheets have melted, the continents have been slowly rebounding, essentially raising in height. However, if you live on the coast of Louisiana, such as myself, sea level rise is greater because land down here is actually sinking into the ocean. The reason for this is channelization of the mississippi river. It doesn't flood it's banks anymore and deliver sediment to the greater area. This is combined with erosion from the gulf, as well as fossil fuel extraction in the Gulf, which causes the bedrock to settle a bit.

So, as far as how it will affect your hobby, The beach may creep further inland with the water line, or it may not, and you will have less beach to hunt. I can't say I know this one for sure, and once again it probably depends where you live. Some beaches in more urban areas are continually supplied sand from the city or state, and therefore you would always have beach to hunt. Best case scenario, hope for a massive storm to stir things up!
    Last edited by SilverForBrains; Apr 20, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

au
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Silver.
    Over a 10 year span on a beach with a 5 degree slope that's about 10 inches of beach lost with the rate of sea level rise being constant at 2mm/year.
    That's bad enough; let's hope the rate doesn't increase.

us
    Oct 2009
    2146 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Powers View Post
    Thanks Silver.
    Over a 10 year span on a beach with a 5 degree slope that's about 10 inches of beach lost with the rate of sea level rise being constant at 2mm/year.
    That's bad enough; let's hope the rate doesn't increase.
    With the ever changing sand levels from storms and tides, it's not something that will be noticeable to you or your children, or probably grandchildren.

May 2005
    19 times
    Sea levels.

We sure do seem to have some differing opinions.
    May I stay neutral for the time being

have a good un..............
    SHERMANVILLE
    In the academies many books, at the circus many sacks of peanuts, at the club rooms many cigar butts.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2090 times
    Cache Hunting
    Shermanville, you have always been a strong voice of reason, thanks for posting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links