Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: don't tell me there is Global Warming, Show it to me

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Pronounced "Shadow" - ---= Wolfpack Forever! =---

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2089 times
    Cache Hunting
    That's a good question Jeff. I think I can (so a small extent) define what I think a troll is. If you follow someone across topic and always have something negative to say about them and their ideas and opinions, you may be a troll. Usually, they just latch on uninvited to someone who may have strong opinions and then just lay in wait to make personal attacks designed to provoke their "crush". It's not unlike a stalker. There are others who just can't wait to disagree with everyone and make derogatory statements about everyone for the purpose of provoking a hostile response. Couple of old members come to mind . . . but they never stalked me . . . only because I was a lurker and not a member.
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which ones to use ... and their meaning:

"Know" is related to knowledge, while "No" is a negative response.

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6517 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    in some of these cases humor could be mistaken for sarcasm.
    I know there are some mornings I wake up & Find humor in the strangest places.
    Sometimes I respond & later regret it, sometimes I Don't regret it.
    sometimes I want to say something but realize "no can't say that"
    just saying, if someone already has a formed opinion of you or me,
    and that opinion is not good, odds are they would take our Humor as troll like, right ?

anyway, I guess what I'm saying is I like to be 100% sure before I Label someone troll.

Would rather label them Pain in my Backside
    stilllookin likes this.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2089 times
    Cache Hunting
    My wife says that my humor is "an acquired taste". So I have come to expect that others don't always see as funny what I do.

I have gotten there honestly though. It comes from years of dealing with the world's bottom feeders . . . the "for hire" legal profession.

And the following statement isn't political (sorry if it sounds that way) but here goes:

NO terrorist organization is as dangerous to our freedoms as our money grubbing judicial system. PERIOD!
    Last edited by Chadeaux; May 11, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
    Dave44 and snakeyes like this.
    Know your homophones (as opposed to homophobes like me)! Know which ones to use ... and their meaning:

"There" is a location, while "Their" shows possession and "They're" is the contraction of "They are".

"Which" specifies an item from a set but a "Witch" casts spells and wears a pointy black hat.

"Patients" (people receiving medical care) must show "patience" (tolerate delay).

rex

Apr 2012
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    The data that is out there is very "microscopic" when compared to the tiny window of modern day data collection and record keeping. What isn't being mentioned are all the first hand historical accounts of what we would perceive today as being, "alarming signs of doom" instead of the "cyclical trends" that have frequented this planet long before we ever started accumulating modern data. Like anything else "change" always stirs debate, discomfort, and panic.....not to mention new industry, a ton of various reports, and lots and lots of data, theories, and most of all, speculation and controversy.
    i think if the earth can recover from a major volcanic eruption, what we throw at it is not going to do enough to affect the climate.
    Dave44 and Chadeaux like this.

au
    Jul 2011
    Rex, volcanoes only emit about 0.3 Billion tonnes of CO2 / year worldwide; whereas human activity is about 100 times as much at 29 Billion tonnes and
    increasing.
    I hope this is not construed as a conspiracy of the trolls

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1794 times
    Nope. I have always wondered what the green stuff that produces oxygen needs? Wonder if there is more CO2 if there is more chlorophyll to use it?

Is that a bad escalation? Think it could get worse if there was no CO2? I believe we would be in a big problem if we could stop co2. But I am not a scientist. Just a casual observer, taught public school, before a political agenda.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2089 times
    Cache Hunting
    I believe those figures are a bit skewed and refer to years of limited activity. I'll do a bit more research to see.

Interesting read: 1883 eruption of Krakatoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That one 1883 eruption changed world wide temperatures 1.2 degrees Celcius, 2.2 Farenheit. Weather patterns continued to be chaotic for years, and temperatures did not return to normal until 1888.

On to CO2:

If NUVO-Science is to be believed (and I believe that popularity and science very strange bedfellows indeed), just the existence of humans --- apart from cars and industry --- is the reason for global warming. Our carbon dioxide emissions alone account for the problem. Man was here even during the ice ages (frozen remains in glaciers prove this). So, how did they occur if man's existence is the cause of global warming.

Got a simple 2nd grade science question for anyone to answer:

Animals breathe in oxygen and give off carbon dioxide. Why is that important to plants?

Anyone know?

Notice, not just humans give off carbon dioxide, ANIMALS do . . . all animals. They all also give off methane and other gasses. Why then has it taken 4 million years (those Nuvo-scientists' timetable not mine) for things to come to a head?

BTW, those animals were also here during the ice ages. And, if these scientists are to be believed, in much greater number before humans tried to wipe them out. All of their CO2, all their methane, everything. Why did it take 4 million years?

I'm curious, so help me out.

au
    Jul 2011
    Re. Krakatoa. An eruption of this size was a very isolated event and so can be discounted when compared to the continuous emissions(burning of fossil fuels) caused by man.
    In any event this particular eruption caused an average global DROP in temperature of about 1C due to less light reaching the earths surface and so has nothing to do with CO2 emissions.

"Animals breathe in oxygen and give off carbon dioxide. Why is that important to plants?"
    It is not important to plants as they developed photosynthesis about 1000 million years ago, before any creature walked, flew, swam or crawled.
    Or if the question is refering to an increase of CO2 due to the increase in humans then:
    "Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing."
    Plants do not thrive on CO2 alone. For one, a bigger plant needs more water and the planet's usable water is rapidly shrinking (due in part to global warming).

True, CO2 levels have been rising slowly and STEADILY for thousands of years as has the average temperature, but not at such a rapid rate as over the past 120 years
    where more has been added than in the past 15 million years.

rex

Apr 2012
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Powers View Post
    Rex, volcanoes only emit about 0.3 Billion tonnes of CO2 / year worldwide; whereas human activity is about 100 times as much at 29 Billion tonnes and
    increasing.
    I hope this is not construed as a conspiracy of the trolls
    i did'nt get on this site to talk politics. i got on it to share information and thoughts with like minded people. however sometimes i find it hard not to respond. yes i can throw global warming myths at you and you can respond thats great. free speech is wonderful. the difference between you and me on this subject is i look at the global warming science as scientific theory and you look at it as scientific worship.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2089 times
    Cache Hunting
    Much of what is presented to the public as "fact" is in actuality "theory".

Many criminal cases are built on theory, but when you get before the judge you can throw theory out the window. You better bring facts because the folks on the other side know the difference between being in deep S*** and deep shinola. Bring the pretty window dressing and it's over, you'll be ripped to shreds by the defense attorneys.

Unfortunately, the masses are uneducated enough that they will accept theory as fact without questioning: "What's in it for you?"

Scientists don't arrive in their positions because they are dumber than the average person. Their intelligence is above average as it must be. Unfortunately, greed is an equal opportunity destroyer.

When you see other scientists making the big bucks because they are riding the populist "MMGW Bandwagon", in some cases it is difficult not to join in regardless of what your data states. That is why there was something to find in the emails.

"Massaging numbers" used to be associated with embezzlement only, but now we see it in science. Science is supposed to look at the facts and draw conclusions, not draw a conclusion and find (or make up) facts to back that "scientific" conclusion. If you're as old as I am, imagine your fate if you had done this in your high school science class.

Good science may start with a theory, but the theory must be based on observations. Then you examine the facts to see whether they prove or disprove your theory.

With MMGW science, it started with a theory, ignores all contrary evidence, and even alters numbers to achieve the results needed to give the theory populist credibility. We, the masses, are expected to accept it as "fact" when it is no more than conjecture. We are expected to accept the "costs" of correcting the problem . . . but no matter how much we spend (taxes and penalties to corporations all eventually come out of the working man's pockets through higher utility, fuel and commodity prices) the problem can never quite be solved. So they try bigger, more expensive solutions. The hope for them is that this will continue until all production is done solely for their benefit.

Then they'll have enough money to get a hot girlfriend because we all know that a rich nerd with a Ferrari --- well, all the hot girls see is the money and Ferrari. Who has it them immaterial. They're just here to party.

Kentucky Kache
    What's the difference in these discussions and the ones that are banned? Looks to me like it's the same old thing under a different name. And that's what I was trying to say in my thread which is now locked. I wonder if this thread will also be locked.

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6517 times
    no it won't be locked, because If it gets out of hand
    I will delete it.

& If I miss something the other mods & admin are welcome to Name:  a55a0c37.gif
Views: 119
Size:  39.1 KB the thread without Hesitation

Kentucky Kache
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    no it won't be locked, because If it gets out of hand
    I will delete it.

& If I miss something the other mods & admin are welcome to Name:  a55a0c37.gif
Views: 119
Size:  39.1 KB the thread without Hesitation
    Other threads are being locked that are not getting out of hand.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    2089 times
    Cache Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Powers View Post
    Re. Krakatoa. An eruption of this size was a very isolated event and so can be discounted when compared to the continuous emissions(burning of fossil fuels) caused by man.
    In any event this particular eruption caused an average global DROP in temperature of about 1C due to less light reaching the earths surface and so has nothing to do with CO2 emissions.

"Animals breathe in oxygen and give off carbon dioxide. Why is that important to plants?"
    It is not important to plants as they developed photosynthesis about 1000 million years ago, before any creature walked, flew, swam or crawled.
    Or if the question is refering to an increase of CO2 due to the increase in humans then:
    "Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing."
    Plants do not thrive on CO2 alone. For one, a bigger plant needs more water and the planet's usable water is rapidly shrinking (due in part to global warming).

True, CO2 levels have been rising slowly and STEADILY for thousands of years as has the average temperature, but not at such a rapid rate as over the past 120 years
    where more has been added than in the past 15 million years.
    I threw in the Krakatoa comment to see if anyone was paying attention. and you are completely correct except that science in the years preceding the IPCC and Al Gore's hysteria shows a 1.2 Celsius degree drop. The numbers appear to have been revised to support their cause.

As for CO2 levels "rising slowly and steadily for thousands of years" that may or may not be true. Data on CO2 levels must be interpolated from past living things. Interpolated is pretty much a fancy term for a "guestimation" based on available information. The available data is gathered, but we can only assume we have the correct math to decipher the information and guess that this is how things were. We have no hard data . . . accurate measuring tools did not exist during period in question. Thus, the interpolation has to make assumptions, then an imprecise formula is applied to get an answer and Bob's your uncle we have today's data about a past which may or may not have happened as they believe it did.

To the same end, other scientists decided to do their research only within the time periods where we have had measuring tools available, as well as records. You might enjoy reading http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/im...t_too_much.pdf

au
    Jul 2011
    A scientific Theory is not a dirty word. It is not "Gospel". Every theory is being rigorously tested as per the "scientific method" which means that until
    new facts emerge or a better theory evolves that gives a " better fit" to explain the facts, then the old theory stands.
    Chads argument and understanding of the scientific method is at the same level used by those who object to Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
    The world has moved on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links