When the glaciers shrink the planet is cooling
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By piegrande
  • 3 Post By Peyton Manning
  • 2 Post By smokeythecat

Thread: When the glaciers shrink the planet is cooling

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    May 2010
    500 times

When the glaciers shrink the planet is cooling

A while back, I picked up an old book by Isaac Asimov from my piles of books and read it. Asimov was famous for his science fiction, but he was also an accomplished science writer. This was one of the non-fiction books. I have that book, but it is with other books. I do not have good shelves so they tend to sit in piles. And, right now I feel too lazy to dig it out of the piles.

In it he said clearly that glaciers shrink when the planet cools, not when it warms. I will try to explain why. I was a farm kid and we were outside even when it was 30 below zero. I have also been to the Arctic Ocean and Alaska Glaciers. I have been up Mt. Rainier and overlooked that big glacier.

A glacier exists when more snow falls in the winter than melts off in the summer. Period. Don't let anyone confuse you with talk about temperatures, which matter not. If more snow falls in the winter than melts off, you have a glacier. Did I say, PERIOD!

In the summer large storm fronts sweep across the country. When a lot of rain falls, the farmers early the next morning can see the 'steam' rising as the rain fall evaporates. And, you can then get secondary rains. A major storm front in fly-over country will sometimes result in several local storms.

In the winter, snow and ice may evaporate, but very slowly. So, winter once the ground is covered with snow and ice, snow comes only from the open water of the ocean or great lakes, once the ground is covered with snow and ice. (My eldest son some years ago, taught math at Bowling Green Ohio, and they got some fantastic snow falls when a cold front came across the Great Lake just north of them.)

When the planet is warm, the Arctic Ocean is open water very far north. There is a lot of open sea, and thus a lot of water vapor floating around. And, glaciers will get a lot of snow. Since summer temps don't really change by magnitudes, the extra snow on the glaciers makes the glaciers grow.

As the planet cools, as it is doing now, the ocean freezes further south, and proportionately there is less water vapor and the glaciers will shrink in the summer time, but will not get enough snow to maintain their size.

All humans tend to be products of their culture. And, most people, especially younger ones, are products of a culture which mistakenly believes the planet is warming. So, I am well aware this posting will result in a lot of people demanding my head on a platter. What I tell you is true. Furthermore, most of the climatologists who say we have global warming well know that glaciers shrink when the planet gets colder. Well, maybe not. Universities are not known for great amounts of scientific knowledge.

When I hear some propagandist on TV stating that the glacier are shrinking because of global warming, I have just received more proof that the planet is cooling.

A year or two ago, I posted this fact on my private mailing list. My best friend of 25+ years went berserk telling me I was just another ignorant, superstitious Christian who believes the world is flat. He is now and will ever be my former best friend. I don't know any Christians who believe the world is flat. The Bible does not say such a thing. And, anyone who goes up in a plane well knows is it not flat.

I do not care if anyone believes me. You believe what you want. I did tell you the truth.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    13378 times
    Metal Detecting
    You could very well be correct, I doubt anyone really knows

Man thinks he knows more than he actually does
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    26159 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Jeff-Gordon is right! He wins a prize to my PA civil war farm!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links