What are some ways to help combat global warming? - Page 7
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: What are some ways to help combat global warming?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    20982 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I often see people dismiss facts because "they are just theories". The problem with that line of reasoning is that there are two definitions of how the word theory is used. The first is the colloquial english usage of the word, in which theory is not so different as conjecture. But the scientific use of the word is vastly different, as the following quote from the link shows better than my words:

"Scientific Definition of Theory
    According to the same dictionary, another definition of theory is “a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena.” An example of this type of theory is the general theory of relativity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1916. This is the scientific definition of the word theory, which holds an important distinction from the English definition: a scientific theory must be backed-up with evidence, must be peer-reviewed, and must have passed a rigorous testing process. According to Wikipedia, “a scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed, preferably using a written, predefined, protocol of observations and experiments.” The article continues stating that “scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge.”

https://medium.com/science-journal/s...w-5624633a8f1b
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1600_DSCN7720.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	1768221

Name:	K1600_DSCN7721.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	354.0 KB 
ID:	1768222
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

​The Key...http://antidoteforall.com/

It is easier to convince someone of a lie , than to convince them they have been lied to . -Mark Twain

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12113 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The vast preponderance of lies are coming from hate groups and conspiracy theorists who also harass the victims of mass shooters. Those monsters who attack the parents of children who have been murdered by domestic terrorists are the same people who are spreading the lies. There is no disputing the fact that the climate is warming. None. Open your eyes and your mind. It is affecting health, crops and native plants, marine and terrestrial animals, diseases, wildfires, enormous changes in rainfall.

What's next? Fake evidence for a flat earth? Denying gravity? The moon is really made of blue cheese?
    Proven beyond a doubt all of these bad things are the result of climate warming? I would like to understand how Califirnia wildfires are caused by warming climate.
    Seems all of our forests should be burning.
    Anyway, there is some dispute about how much humans contribute to GW. And is it possible we may need to worry about staying warm.

https://principia-scientific.org/for...age-is-coming/

What do you think should be done now to combat GW?
    What solutions do you favor?
    I have no doubt humans affect our planet.
    Was not aware parents of murdered children were being harassed by climate deniers. What hate hate groups? What domestic terrorists?
    Thanks for the expounding on theory.
    I have not heard anyone propose more than planting trees, and individual actions. If that will fix things, then it seedms there isn't much to do but preach the message.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2795 times
    Not all forests are burning because different regions respond differently to warming. Here on the East Coast, in contrast to the West Coast, we have been experiencing record rainfalls. When you get several so-called 100 year and 500 year storms each year, those old descriptions no longer apply. The high rainfall has changed the nature of how flooding occurs here. In years past, flooding was more gradual, and mostly from rising rivers. Now the flooding is more directly the result of rapid stormwater flows. I see one result of this high rainfall every time I walk the beach to hunt fossils. When you get several storms that dump over 10" of rain in a few hours, it weakens the edges of the fossil cliffs, causing large chunks, hundreds of tons of clay to come crashing down, covering the fossil strata I like to hunt. In addition, it carries down many trees that were at the cliff edges, making it difficult to walk the beaches. I'm fortunate to still be in good enough health to crawl under, climb over, and wade around these trees. But the conditions are the worst I've experienced in 40 years.

People living in the middle of the country don't see sea level rise (unless they get stationed to Norfolk VA, for example) and its coastal flooding consequences. Nor do they see the movements north of marine animals seeking cooler waters. Some of these are commercial species and there is an economic impact as well as ecological.

Both the high rainfalls on the East Coast and the wildfires on the West Coast are expected results of climate change. Neither region should be expected to respond like the other.

https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators
    Kantuckkeean and Rebel - KGC like this.

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    994 times

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com › principia-scientific-international

perhaps you should check that out.

The individual actions being promoted are not "individual" if they are composed of more than one person working toward the good of the earth. Kinda like that "alice's resturaunt" scene. (you'll have to look that one up).

I favor planting trees, preserving green space, lowering MY carbon footprint, recycling, repurposing, re-using every day products, reducing my drive time, exhaust emission control, smoke stack scrubbers,urban gardening, and a host of other actions. I can't speak for anyone else.

Here's a suggestion. Use your search engine, type in any of the questions you posed, read as much as you can, compare what you read with what you experience daily. Make an informed decision that works for you.

when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    933 times
    Found this interesting...

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/19/...-breakthrough/

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

Jun 2007
    13883 times
    If you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, do what Ted Turner (CNN) did...

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2006
    Florida
    Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
    30440 times

Name:	FB_IMG_1573419960333.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1774575
    worldtalker and Rebel - KGC like this.
    PLEASE READ OUR RULES. CLICK HERE TO READ ------> TreasureNet.com Rules

2nd Amendment
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

Si vis pacem, para bellum "If you want peace, prepare for war!

USAF 1967-1971

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

No Expiration Date!

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    20982 times
    Very informative article.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-11-...ince-2005.html

GOD Bless

Chris
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

It is easier to convince someone of a lie , than to convince them they have been lied to . -Mark Twain

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:12

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    2795 times
    The conspiracy theorists deny facts. And to believe the conspiracy mongers is to believe that animals moving north into cooler water are all part of the imagined leftist or "librul" agenda. Posting discredited fake news is irresponsible and does not contribute to any meaningful discussion of solutions to climate change and how we can become more resilient in adapting to its effects.

Climate change is a fact. The earth is warming. Animals are moving north. The big polluters are using fake news to convince the gullible and ignorant that their pollution is not a problem. It is a problem.

At the tnet level, the easiest thing to do is to block posters who post fake news and nutty conspiracy theories by using the ignore feature.

Good night. I have to leave early in the morning to hunt fossils along the Cliffs here. Thanks to rising sea levels, I have a narrow window of 2 hours before low tide to 2 hours after low tide and only when the wind is from the W or WNW. And much of my time walking along the beach is wasted climbing over and crawling under trees that have fallen from the cliff edges thanks to record rainfall and flooding. I see the results of climate change every day and this is the worst I have seen in 40 years of walking these beaches.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Nov 28, 2019 at 03:55 AM.
    Kantuckkeean and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    20982 times
    Two questions,1..where did science come from?2..where does GOD fit in?

GOD Bless

Chris

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    933 times
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtalker View Post
    Two questions,1..where did science come from?2..where does GOD fit in?

GOD Bless

Chris
    1. Science came from human curiosity and efforts to increase human understanding of the natural world... probably began with rudimentary engineering to understand properties of materials that would be useful for tool-making, fire-starting, making clothing and cordage, shelter building, etc. then on to mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry, etc. Develop a hypothesis and a methodology to test the hypothesis, replicate results, disseminate results so that they can be independently tested and verified or rejected... Anyone can do it. You don't need a special degree or training. Just need curiosity and a desire to learn. Seems to work. Isaac Newton got hit on the head by bird poop, an orange or something and now we've got mammals flying around in planes, talking on cell phones, microwaving meals, using hairspray, taking medicines to prevent and heal illnesses, etc.

"We've got department stores and toilet paper, got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer. Got a man of the people, says "Keep hope alive!" Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive. Keep on rockin' in the free world!" - Neil Young

In my opinion, people who don't want to believe what scientists are telling them should either devise their own experiments and report the results of their experimentation or stop using everything that scientists have given to humanity. The nonsense about scientists manipulating data is preposterous. There are literally thousands of scientists across the globe, studying the natural world and greater than 99% of them have concluded that climate change is occurring and that human activities are the primary cause of the recent warming. Even if you could convince thousands of scientists to manipulate data and go along with a "false narrative" (i.e. climate change), how the heck did the conspirators get the oceans, glaciers, Antarctica, and arctic sea ice to go along with it? Did they bribe the oceans and glaciers or something?

Megalodon is absolutely correct. Just do a little research or ask the trawlers and lobstermen on the eastern seaboard. Lobster and shrimp populations are decreasing in some areas and increasing in others as water temperatures are rising. Oh wait... I forgot that the shrimp and lobsters were bribed as well.

2. I don't think that we're allowed to discuss religion on TNet.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Last edited by Kantuckkeean; Dec 04, 2019 at 09:39 PM.
    Megalodon and Rebel - KGC like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    20982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantuckkeean View Post
    1. Science came from human curiosity and efforts to increase human understanding of the natural world... probably began with rudimentary engineering to understand properties of materials that would be useful for tool-making, fire-starting, making clothing and cordage, shelter building, etc. then on to mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry, etc. Develop a hypothesis and a methodology to test the hypothesis, replicate results, disseminate results so that they can be independently tested and verified or rejected... Anyone can do it. You don't need a special degree or training. Just need curiosity and a desire to learn. Seems to work. Isaac Newton got hit on the head by bird poop, an orange or something and now we've got mammals flying around in planes, talking on cell phones, microwaving meals, using hairspray, taking medicines to prevent and heal illnesses, etc.

"We've got department stores and toilet paper, got styrofoam boxes for the ozone layer. Got a man of the people, says "Keep hope alive!" Got fuel to burn, got roads to drive. Keep on rockin' in the free world!" - Neil Young

In my opinion, people who don't want to believe what scientists are telling them should either devise their own experiments and report the results of their experimentation or stop using everything that scientists have given to humanity. The nonsense about scientists manipulating data is preposterous. There are literally thousands of scientists across the globe, studying the natural world and greater than 99% of them have concluded that climate change is occurring and that human activities are the primary cause of the recent warming. Even if you could convince thousands of scientists to manipulate data and go along with a "false narrative" (i.e. climate change), how the heck did the conspirators get the oceans, glaciers, Antarctica, and arctic sea ice to go along with it? Did they bribe the oceans and glaciers or something?

Megalodon is absolutely correct. Just do a little research or ask the trawlers and lobstermen on the eastern seaboard. Lobster and shrimp populations are decreasing in some areas and increasing in others as water temperatures are rising. Oh wait... I forgot that the shrimp and lobsters were bribed as well.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    GOD is not religion.

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    20982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantuckkeean View Post

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Physics,where did the LAW of physics come from

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    994 times
    it came from countless scientists experimenting and reviewing each others experiments until they discovered verifiable facts that could be applied to the experiments they were conducting and attain the same results.

Or, as a pastafarian can I say, the flying spagetti monster passed it. (the law of physics that is)
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    20982 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davest View Post
    it came from countless scientists experimenting and reviewing each others experiments until they discovered verifiable facts that could be applied to the experiments they were conducting and attain the same results.

Or, as a pastafarian can I say, the flying spagetti monster passed it. (the law of physics that is)
    So GOD takes a back seat eh?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links