What are some ways to help combat global warming? - Page 9
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Like Tree647Likes

Thread: What are some ways to help combat global warming?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2013
    OC, Calif
    Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
    794 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I think pollution is a SMALL part of global warming. Remember , The earth is in constant change. IE: dinosaurs, Ice Age. Many of our deserts were once under water.
    We do need to clean up some of the pollution (especially China) but the climate will always be changing.

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    1032 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    I think pollution is a SMALL part of global warming. Remember , The earth is in constant change. IE: dinosaurs, Ice Age. Many of our deserts were once under water.
    We do need to clean up some of the pollution (especially China) but the climate will always be changing.
    that was very deep and insightful.

Ever wonder where your thoughts come from?
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1064 times
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtalker View Post
    It really does not matter who said it,you CAN NOT deny it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Abraham Lincoln - Internet quotes.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	435.3 KB 
ID:	1777422
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1often-find-quotes-on-the-internet-to-be-factually-inaccurate-50834565.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	1777421  

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1064 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davest View Post
    Chris, try as I might, I cannot find a citation to Twain of that quote. No date, no publication or opinion piece. Could you direct me to a credible source? Many thanks, Davest.

Kantuck, Have you ever watched trees breath? You probably have but if not, it's an awesome experience. I first saw it in the Chugach National Forest, Alaska, 1973. I've never forgotten it.
    I have. It's awesome.

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    Yes, the climate will always be changing, but it is the rate of change that is critical. And the warming that we see today is unprecedented. We should not be seeing such large changes in our short lifespans. We can't do much about volcanoes but much of the pollution is inexcusable and must be greatly reduced. It is the ultimate selfishness that fossil fuel companies can pollute at will. A new fracked gas refinery and export facility was built in my former neighborhood and they are exempt from any pollution requirements. You and I can't legally drive a car without a catalytic converter but these greedy *******s can buy politicians for exemptions from even the most common sense pollution controls - especially to create fuels we don't need or use.
    Kantuckkeean and Rebel - KGC like this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3223 times
    It is possible to live our lives with far less impact. Today's solar panels are a big help. As a child, I look back fondly on how we spent summers in the 1950's - early 1960's in the cottage my grandfather built on the shore of Buzzards Bay, MA, with re-purposed materials in the early 1930's. (The Hurricane of 1938 washed it off its block foundation and he moved it back, rolling it on pines that washed ashore) We had a cistern to wash with fresh water and re-purposed copper pipes on the roof to provide solar hot water. We didn't have electricity and didn't care. The days were long enough and we were so busy, we crashed when it got dark. The adults had kerosene lamps and used very little fuel. To get to where we wanted to go and to fish for our meals, we paddled small boats and kayaks we made with hand tools with wood recovered from abandoned vessels. Living at the edge of a salt marsh, we made purple martin houses and marveled at their flights as they ate mosquitoes. We were never bothered by biting insects until the local gov't began to spray DDT for mosquitoes, lying to us that it was safe. At the time and not far away, Rachel Carson was writing "Silent Spring". Soon the DDT killed all the natural predators and we never saw so many mosquitoes. With quick generation times, the mosquitoes adapted and drove us away. I still remember the sadness i experienced 60 years ago when we went out one morning after being sprayed the night before and found our place littered with dead birds - poisoned for the benefit of the poison manufacturers. It also saddens me to read jokes made on forums like this ridiculing responsible people and glorifying the destroyers of our world.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Dec 06, 2019 at 10:45 PM.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cornfield, IN
    F-22, cheapo pinpointer
    1064 times
    And it seems that history repeats itself (think neonicotinoids and chlorpyrifos).

Even though it often feels like I'm fighting a losing battle, I won't throw in the towel because the natural world is simply wondrous and worth fighting for. Also, even though many climatologists, ecologists, and "alarmists" are saying that we're hosed, I disagree. I do wonder at what point the populace will say, "ENOUGH!" The Great Barrier Reef is decimated. We've already lost so many amazing species and we haven't turned the corner yet. I guess that I'm an optimistic pessimist. I don't believe that we have a full understanding of the resiliency of the natural world and I know that people can accomplish amazing things, when they have the motivation.

I recognize that the majority of Americans have lost touch with the natural world and can't tell an oak from a maple or a pine from a cedar and simply do not understand how entwined our lives are with the environment and what is really happening out there. Most people probably can't even tell you that maple syrup comes from maple trees. I know people who can't identify wheat and soybeans. I feel that that is a large part of the problem... that too many people don't understand where their food comes from and where our other resources come from and at what cost (i.e. their own ecological footprint). I'm certain that I don't fully understand my entire ecological footprint, even though it's a large part of my life. If we all had a better understanding of the consequences of our necessities and luxuries, perhaps we'd see a greater conservation ethic in society.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterlilies.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	213.8 KB 
ID:	1777442

Kindest regards,
    Kantuck

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12519 times
    I think in a lot of ways you are fighting a losing battle.
    Just thought of something. We call people living in ways you and Megalodon describe the third world.
    Progress is bringing electricity and plastic to their villages. Teaching them to consume and desire goods.
    Look at some youtube videos of favelas in Brazil. The people were introduced to drugs, cell phones, guns, and material goods.
    In Africa people were living in grass huts and doing okay really. People came along and tell them they live in poverty. Now they live in ugly cobbled shacks and can't feed theirselves.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3223 times
    There is a lot of truth in that. I look back at times when my only food was what I could grow myself, catch or gather (the easiest way to gather clams is right after a strong nor'easter and just before the gulls also find them...). The fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seafood and a little meat was a far healthier diet than what I now buy at supermarkets, even with careful shopping. Obesity, with all its accompanying problems, was much less common then.

Charter Member
    us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800.
    3031 times
    Ah but we keep missing (or perhaps purposely ignoring) the root cause of global warming and pollution, the ever increasing number of Humans. Supply and demand. Global population say 500 years ago as opposed to today? Or even 100 years ago. Like a cage of white mice, sooner or later, to many mice, not enough cage. I'm just saying fella's. Anyone remember the old black & white movie "Soilent Green" w/ Charleton Heston." (Spelling for Soilent and Charleton, ummmmm)

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    Ah but we keep missing (or perhaps purposely ignoring) the root cause of global warming and pollution, the ever increasing number of Humans. Supply and demand. Global population say 500 years ago as opposed to today? Or even 100 years ago. Like a cage of white mice, sooner or later, to many mice, not enough cage. I'm just saying fella's. Anyone remember the old black & white movie "Soilent Green" w/ Charleton Heston." (Spelling for Soilent and Charleton, ummmmm)
    Yes Soylent Green, I remember looking for the book when the movie came out - only to find there was no book. In addition to "from my cold dead hands", the movie featured, the ubiquitous Edward G Robinson, and also "The Rifleman" Chuck Connors - one of a few people to play both professional basketball and baseball.

And yes, I agree that overpopulation is a serious problem and does increase pollution - especially nutrient pollution from human waste. The pollution that most infuriates me is that done unnecessarily - such as a VA energy company that pours coal and fly ash into striped bass and white perch spawning grounds. Why do they do it? Because, having bought all the politicians, they can get away with it and many other disgusting activities. They actually own/fund the county police force in my county - which stops and harasses motorists driving with bumper stickers opposing such pollution.

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    589 times
    Prospecting
    .......and still the mussels and clams in Portland Bay contain Opioids.....
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "The Bay of the Holy Spirit” - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    54473 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mendoAu View Post
    .......and still the mussels and clams in Portland Bay contain Opioids.....
    Don't say that...

IF the addicts catch wind of that... Mussels and clams will end up being an endangered species.

Snorting and smoking dried up clam and mussel dust will be the "next thing". heh
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Apr 2003
    128 times
    Having discovered that where I now live was at one time at the bottom of a swamp and before that a sandy wasteland and before that a volcanic hell as the climate and geography changed over the millions of years the earth evolved, I'm wondering why exactly just because the weatherr wasn't like last year everyone thinks there is some crisis.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by freeman View Post
    Having discovered that where I now live was at one time at the bottom of a swamp and before that a sandy wasteland and before that a volcanic hell as the climate and geography changed over the millions of years the earth evolved, I'm wondering why exactly just because the weatherr wasn't like last year everyone thinks there is some crisis.
    You are correct that the climate has previously changed - but it has changed over a long geological time. I go out about twice a week to hunt Miocene fossils that have been exposed when the seas receded. The reason why the current climate change is indeed a crisis is due to the rate of change. It is not the weather last year compared to this year. It IS the trend. Our lifespans are so short in geological time that we should not be seeing such rapid change as we are experiencing. Floras are changing and animals that are capable of moving are moving north to cooler climes. That is a fact, easily observed, and not my opinion.
    Kantuckkeean and Rebel - KGC like this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links