Best VSAT setting for very small nuggets

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's no specific setting. It all depends on the ground you're hunting. I like to set the gain for a reasonably smooth threshold and then turn the V-sat up until it starts getting a little scratchy. It's sort of a personal thing. What I consider perfect, other people may consider less than perfect. The gain and V-sat work against each other as far as a smooth threshold is concerned. Turn one up, and it gets noisy, so you reduce the other and it will quiet down. A balancing act. If the ground is really variable, it's better to lower the gain and increase the SAT. If the ground is constant, I'd rather have the gain higher, and the SAT lower. If you're getting a lot of ghost signals, I would lower the gain slightly, and increase the SAT, until the ghosting disappears. You want the gain as high as you can run, without falsing, or undue variation in the treshold.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions