Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
    51 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

bilge pump "mini-dredge"

Ok-without causing a p****** contest,what about a large bilge pump going into a small venturi with a 1"-1 1/4" suction hose run it off of a battery,for sniping and cleaning cracks and bed rock (not for over burden)possibly dumping it into a 5 -gal bucket or a sluice box?for smaller creeks ( to small to dredge) it would be very portable ,quiet,could even recirculate the water when scarce,and would be more productive than a hand sucker.anybody ever tried this route?
    no matter where you go,there you are!

us
    Sep 2007
    So. Cali
    Well,.Sometimes ?
    69 times

Re: bilge pump "mini-dredge"

Well , this will be my first post here on the “Gold forum “ ... I think , usually hang’n down around the Native-American artifacts forum .
    Anyway I’ve made ,and use this hand-bilge pump , it works good and it can REALLY clean them cracks out !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEGcracksucker.jpg 
Views:	3630 
Size:	207.7 KB 
ID:	243053

Starting at the bottom left of pic. The material starts its journey through a suction-nozzle , travailing though a 1 in. Suction -hose [ all hose used is of same type ] . The material then “drops” into the white canister . The water travails on , though the screened hose to the pump and out the discharge hose ..... you can put a nozzle on the discharge hose to flush out the cracks .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JPEGcracksuckertwo.jpg 
Views:	2819 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	243054

This pic , should explain the “in” to suction nozzle and the “out” screened discharge side ??
    I have it labeled on the out side , almost - Proof , almost !!
    Well, I’ve used it from 4 ft. sub-surface to 40 ft from the creek , bring the creek to the crack by bucket !

Sincerely ;Blindpig

us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    51 times

thanks takoda ,and blind pig for the input please try to load pics i couldn't see them,i do have hand suction devices several ranging from modified oil suction guns to a new one that is hand operated and puts the sample in a peanutt butter jar ,they work ok but would be nice to get a 5 gal bucketfull at a time with out wearing my arm out.i know someone out there has this problem solved .seems to me years ago i saw a mini dredge for sale in the back of a gpa mag that was built using 2 bilge pumps and pvc ,i was wanting similar but instead of a setup like a (bazooka) style ,a simple venturi dumping in a bucket or sluice.maybe i'm chasing rainbows-but it would be a little more productive than hand pumping 1-2 cups at a time.just a thought-

us
    Jan 2005
    Knee Deep In A Creek in Maryland

You may want to read through this thread.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,156184.0.html

Good Luck. It works for me!
    MARYLAND  PROSPECTOR
    www.placergold.blogspot.com

"Semper Fi"

"78-82"

us
    Jan 2008
    Villa Rica georgia
    51 times

towcritter ,i take it you got it to work.please put up pics -and lots of details-i knew this would be possible.i started to put in my thread -i bet you can't-that usually gets them going l.o.l.glad you did it. please send plans. thanks

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    564 times

to gain suction for a dredge nozzel, the gph of a pump isnt the main factor,what you need is pressure. on this small of a nozzel, pressure can be aquired by reducing the water into the nozzel by a orfice at the nozzel. there are some really big 12voltDC pumps out there that would work,but they pull a lot of juice to run them. you would need several 12 V batterys and then how big of a solar pannel would it take to recharge/top off these batts while running??and then hiow portable would this be while snipping? a off/on switch would be manditory to save juice! good luck, i hope you get it to work!

Sponsors