Looking for a new dredge

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: Great idea but 1st check on legalities in your state. I believe you must be on private property back east?? A 2" puddle pumper by keene/proline would be great and in this depression, they are CHEAP !! Buy used but not abused off the many forums and you'll get a deal. Check into local clubs--be it gem/mineral,gold,detecting whatever--to ease the terrible learning pains it sure helps to have mentors !! Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
russau,

I think you have a typo in your link. Shouldn't it be www.prolinemining.com ?

Sounds like a great deal to me! Sorry I'm not in the market for one!

Lookin

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're new to the hobby, you may try this sluice out. It's called the E-Z Sluice and was suggested on another thread. It seems to be good for starting out... and it's affordable too! They also suggested getting the flare kit with it... http://www.blackcatmining.com/mining-equipment/e-z-sluice.cfm

Bran <><

OP
OP
S

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll probably wait until spring, because we're gonna have some cold weather here for the next few months. Then I'll give it a go. We have a farm in the Shenandoah Valley with tons of creeks. Not sure if there's any gold there, but I gotta find out. Thanks again.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
It's a good time to start shopping and find one for a good price then your ready for spring thaw.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shenandoah Digger,

If you don't already know this fact, it is legal to dredge in the state of Virginia in most state waters and private property with permission, just be sure that you are not on private property without the permission of the property owner, it is up to you to your homework as to where you are prospecting, alot of info is out there on the internet that is public record.

A few years ago a group of prospectors campaigned and petitioned the state to get the laws change so that is was legal to dredge with up to a 4' dredge.

These same prospectors are still active in gold prospecting in the state of Virginia, they have a forum and a couple of prospecting club/groups that you could join and get the hands on experience and first hand knowledge as to the laws that will greatly help you in your new adventure, also where the gold is and where the gold is not, the clubs/groups have leased properties that you can go and find real placer gold, and Virginia gold is some very nice gold..

Here is a link to the VaGold forum,

http://au-prospecting.com/gold1/portal.php

Here are the link to 2 prospecting clubs/groups, both of these clubs/groups have a forum section on the VaGold Forum

http://www.contrarycreekprospectors.org/

http://www.centralvirginiagoldprospectors.com/index.html

Good Luck with you soon to be found FEVER!!!!

Skip

OP
OP
S

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Wow thanks for the info Skip. That helped me a lot. I've had the metal detecting fever for years, and I'm sure this will be no different. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shenandoah Digger,

Your welcome and a Merry Chirstmas to you!!

I just noticed that you are in Manassas, Virginia that is only an hour or so from Contrary Creek which is the property for the CCPO as you will see on their site it is free to join, but you will have to do 3 hours a year(it was 6 hours for 2008, but in 2009 it will only be 3 hours) of helping do property maintenance, they have scheduled times for the maintenance, but if you don't get your 3 hours by the end of the year you will not be allow to join in the future, so to continue with CCPO it is important that you "do the time" or you will not be able to prospect there in the future, they are serious about this property and only want serious members.

If you are serious you can't go wrong or find better people then the CCPO or the CVGP a GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE!!!!

Maybe I will see you on the VaGold Forum, I'm "Gold Seeker" there.

Skip

furmanorange

Dec 22, 2008
Gordonsville , Va
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1000
Shenandoah Digger said:
New to the hobby and looking for a small dredge to use in very small creeks in Virginia. Any help would be appreciated.
Hello I am a member of the Contrary Creek Prospectors Organization in Louisa, Va you may wish to to long into Contrary Creek.com or VA Gold.com. they always have something for sale. and if you would like to visit the Creek let me know i could take you one day. Hope you have a Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. Susan

OP
OP
S

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Thanks Susan, I will certainly do that. As soon as I get my dredge or highbanker I'm going to try it on our farm in Page County-the Shenandoah Valley. We have a 400 acre farm on the Shenandoah River, and the farm being mountainous, creeks everywhere. Of course I don't know if anyone has ever found gold in that area, or if there is any there or ever has been. But it will give me some experience anyway. If I find any there, I certainly would have no problem with anyone else giving it a shot. It's not like I'd be protecting the mother lode or anything. I'd be happy with a couple of flakes. Kinda like finding your first relic with a metal detector. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread