Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Why not make a "roll-yer-own" 2.5 dredge/power sluice/hi-banker combo rig?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    bo
    Nov 2005
    Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
    White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
    106 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Why not make a "roll-yer-own" 2.5 dredge/power sluice/hi-banker combo rig?

Looks nice so far Lamar.....just have to wait for dry season. See you in April.

G
    Whites V3, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL

May 2006
    30 times

Hi there Lamar, Nice work but I can see problems with your suction nozzle blocking at the bend. The reason being that where the pipe has been bent to form the curve, I would say you had it bent in an exhaust pipe bending machine, you will see that the bend is actualy smaller in diameter because of the stretching of the metal to curve than the rest of the inside diameter of the pipe both before the bend & after it. You will need to fit a reducer ring at the entrance of the nozzle that will reduce the size of material to be less than the smallest diameter of that bend. It would pay to cut the nozzle entrance square (90 degrees) Also where your pressure hose connection enters the nozzle it should be right at the bend & facing dead centre back down the nozzle & the suction hose towards the sluice box as in the pic below.

Happy golding

JW
    Bonaro likes this.

May 2006
    30 times

Forgot to mention that I used an old road works cone to make a flare to replace the old crasher header box on my 4" dredge. Notice the black sands behind the riffles

JW

Nov 2003
    Abbotsford/Okanagan B.C., CANADA!
    9 times

If you put the reducer at the pump end of the high pressure line there will be a drop in pressure at the venturi and reduced suction. There will also be more of a possibility of hose kinks. Put any reducer right at the end of the high pressure line to get maximum suction. The jig bent suction nozzle will probably cause plug-ups, which are a real PITA.. try for a mandrell bent one. ..Willy.
    Bonaro likes this.

Dec 2007
    Tierra del Fuego
    Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
    24 times

I'll put in my two cents!

any reduction in the output of the pump should be done at the nozzle where it shoots in to form the jet (aspirator). If I recall, a nozzle is best at 7 degrees or 1 to 7... 1 or the other.

All told, a great job you are doing, Lamar. Especially in a place without the resources we have here in Estados Unidos.

It will work!

Gold is about the easiest thing to separate from the other solids in a stream.
    16 times more dense than anything else... or something like that.

IMO your biggest obstacle will be the pump, itself. and the Kanaflex hose.
    Both are expensive even here.

rmptr
    I am a pathological liar and a functional illiterate.

sd
    Apr 2012
    Sudan
    Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
    87 times
    Thanks LAMAR for the simple yet elegant work you 've done

I think reviving this thread from time to time would be of help to some of the DIYers here in the forum or to any one who wants to learn a bit more about modifying their rigs !

us
    Jun 2018
    Arazona/montana
    18 times
    Prospecting
    That's awesome work on that flair🖒🖒🖒

Make America Great Again

Apr 2013
    Oregon
    3554 times
    10 year old thread...
    " A pessimist is an optimist with experience "

us
    Aug 2004
    Olympia WA
    Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
    1738 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by winners58 View Post
    10 year old thread...
    Pessimist...
    winners58 and beekbuster like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links