Tom and Perrys Dirt Bag.

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
Upvote 0
S

stefen

Re: Tom and Perrys Dirt Bag.

Its called "Let the Buyer Beware"...

The dirt bags stated "Want to find gold in your pan? Now you can with Tom & Perry's Golden Dirt Bag. Guaranteed gold in every bag - Some bags may have up to a quarter ounce of gold."

The last lines expresses that some bags may have up to a quarter....

The intent of the dirt bag is to provide a gold bearing dirt medium for practice purposes only...if you think that you'd get a 1/4 oz for $29, think again...thats just good old american marketing and you got sucked in...

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008

stefen said:
Its called "Let the Buyer Beware"...

The dirt bags stated "Want to find gold in your pan? Now you can with Tom & Perry's Golden Dirt Bag. Guaranteed gold in every bag - Some bags may have up to a quarter ounce of gold."

The last lines expresses that some bags may have up to a quarter....

The intent of the dirt bag is to provide a gold bearing dirt medium for practice purposes only...if you think that you'd get a 1/4 oz for $29, think again...thats just good old american marketing and you got sucked in...

I wasnt expecting a 1/4 oz but I thought maybe a gram.

flyspekau

Apr 2, 2008
Fresno Ca
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT

YOu should have gotten close to a gram for that price but then you have shipping so maybe 1/2 gram at least.

I got a good one coming to you soon as I get the new scale FunWithTreasure

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flyspekau said:
YOu should have gotten close to a gram for that price but then you have shipping so maybe 1/2 gram at least.

I got a good one coming to you soon as I get the new scale FunWithTreasure
A gram for $7.99?

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250

He's saying that that is the value of the gold he recovered from a bag that cost $29.

Now I've only just started gold prospecting but in the little bit of research I have done I've been hearing increasingly negative feedback about GPAA. I understand that they are a business but its starting to sound like their product isn't quite worth the money. I couldn't tell anybody anything from personal experience as I decided not to join the GPAA bcause of what I read. Sounds like joining a smaller localized organization may be the way to go.

Just thought that might be relevant as it pertained to the quality of a GPAA product.

S

stefen

stefen said:
The intent of the dirt bag is to provide a gold bearing dirt medium for practice purposes only...if you think that you'd get a 1/4 oz for $29, think again...

Mojave Jack

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009

Packfan, as far as the GPAA dirtbag material goes, I wouldn't know. I do know it is intended for panning practice, and not to help miners make a profit on the gold therein.

As for joining to be a part of a good group of people and to gain access to claims, I think it does a great job. I paid $67 for my annual membership. For that I got a claims guide listing hundreds of claims I can prospect, a 14 inch pan, snuffer bottle, and baseball cap. I thought it was a good deal.

Prior to joining I was slinking around known gold bearing areas looking for a place to prospect without claim jumping. Since joining in November I have spent many a weekend on GPAA claims, panning away without worry. GPAA is a good deal in my book (IMO).

packfan_1982

Jun 22, 2008
Omaha NE
Detector(s) used
F70 / ACE 250

Just curious but have you found much working the GPAA claims? I know its not all about what you find but more about getting out on the river and enjoying the out doors, and being part of a group can be a good thing as well. I've just read that GPAA hasn't spent alot of time maintaining its current claims or looking for new ones with the exception of within the state of Alaska. I've been looking at joining Colorado Prospectors, as they have their own claims, and provide the group atmosphere as well.

Mojave Jack

Greenie
Jan 21, 2009

Sounds like your idea to join a local prospecting group that has claims is a good one. I'm happy with access rights to the GPAA claims, and prefer not to participate in group outings. I kind of enjoy prospecting and camping in the desert alone. Please note that I never enter mine shafts or coyote holes, and I never drive into a location that is further than what I could walk out if my truck broke down. Always be mindful of risks when you're out alone.

As far as finding color, I have a few spots where I know I can consistently find 5-10 small specks of gold in each pan. Not making any money, and finding these specks within the black sands takes slow and careful panning. I've yet to find a picker or a nugget, but believe it can happen anyday I'm out there.

My apologies to the thread for wandering a bit off the topic of Tom and Perry's Dirt.

RetRmy

Apr 17, 2007

I'm in an area that is not known for any gold, you might try a site called "Goldfever Prospecting.com"
I bought a bag of their dirt and was VERY pleased. got 3 nice pickers and plenty of small stuff. I recovered enough to cover the cost of the bag. it also had a few gemstones.
RetRmy

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008

Pacfan I did some dredging in N.California during the early 90s.Many of the GPAA claims had been worked hard but a couple had color. Have fun. Jim

Attachments

• gold2.jpg
    gold2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 936

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

packfan_1982 said:
He's saying that that is the value of the gold he recovered from a bag that cost $29.

Now I've only just started gold prospecting but in the little bit of research I have done I've been hearing increasingly negative feedback about GPAA. I understand that they are a business but its starting to sound like their product isn't quite worth the money. I couldn't tell anybody anything from personal experience as I decided not to join the GPAA bcause of what I read. Sounds like joining a smaller localized organization may be the way to go.

Just thought that might be relevant as it pertained to the quality of a GPAA product.
AH Hah,sorry missed that. :tard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread