how can i build a dredger

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, c-scope,laser b2
how do i go about dreging, ive managed to make a 5ft tube so far, with a wire grill at the rear,to stop large rocks, and put a handled off/ tube in the middle for the air to come in, about 3ft from the front of the main tube....i just need to get the tubing now to connect to the wire grill end.....how am i doing so far..

what size motor compressor do i need, p.s.i. wise

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you havent given enough info into what your building to give a answer! what size sluice are you going to use? what size/lenght hose do you wantto use? what is the depth you want to go? will you have breathing air on it? do you want a flair or a crashbox system? to be honest,it sounds like your a prime candidate for buying a good used dredge instead of building one! i hope this dont stire up any stuff. this time of year you can get really good deals on used equipment.sometimes it can be cheaper/quicker to buy used than building.even if you know what your doing! Just my opinion!

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
Come on guys, be nice!
It's obvious that he knows what he's doing, he's got a handle on it (I think)
These guys don't want to tell you, but I will. For the configuration you described, your air pressure should be at precisely 2.3 psi. If you are as much as .0001 psi over or below, it won't work.
:icon_jokercolor:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah they don't have to be nice... Dredging is illegal in the UK any ways. ::)
You can only (legally) use a sluice box and pan.. the "light" equipment, even a highbanker is "no go". ;D

OP
OP
rubberdiver13

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
EggyOG said:
Come on guys, be nice!
It's obvious that he knows what he's doing, he's got a handle on it (I think)
These guys don't want to tell you, but I will. For the configuration you described, your air pressure should be at precisely 2.3 psi. If you are as much as .0001 psi over or below, it won't work.
:icon_jokercolor:
got the handle.....

the dia of tube is 5" , im hoping to put the motor on the boat or bank side....then pump out the silt, and mark out the floor area after, i hopefully will produce a photo. if i can get one on here..

dregding is not illegal...... not on protected sites

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey RubberDiver.. I'm not convinced but I'll talk to some UK citizens who are aware of the prospecting laws.

If he confirms what you are saying then I'm sorry. :coffee2:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EggyOG said:
I honestly don't have a clue what you are talking about. ???

Maybe this link will help you to understand.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/mines_royal

May I ask RubberDiver, what is a protected site; do you have a definition? :icon_study:
You got me a bit interested in the laws of the UK regarding prospecting.. :D

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
EU,
I understand what you're talking about. It is Rubberdiver that I don't understand. I know my way around a dredge fairly well and I can't even visualize what he is talking about!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Eggy. :)
I see, I thought that comment was for me.. :-\
To be honest I don't have a clue either... :D

OP
OP
rubberdiver13

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
EggyOG said:
EU,
I understand what you're talking about. It is Rubberdiver that I don't understand. I know my way around a dredge fairly well and I can't even visualize what he is talking about!
, i just need someone to explain about making the box that all the sand,rubbish from the bottom goes to,sorts out the heavy stuff, and lets all the light stuff(sand etc) filter back out, im sorry if its confusing you guys, ive seen pictures, and want to have a go at making one....

after reading another article...it sounds like what you call a sluice, so whats a dredge ;D

OP
OP
rubberdiver13

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
Eu_citzen said:
EggyOG said:
I honestly don't have a clue what you are talking about. ???

Maybe this link will help you to understand.

http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/mines_royal

May I ask RubberDiver, what is a protected site; do you have a definition? :icon_study:
You got me a bit interested in the laws of the UK regarding prospecting.. :D
protected sites, you are not allowed to dive on, without permission

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A sluice is a whole different thing. :thumbsup:

Google Popandson sluice, maybe that helps. :thumbsup:

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I'm confused, also...

Are you building an airlift?

...any screen completely covering the end of a suction tube would quickly plug up completely.

They once built underwater sluices, but just one tip could lose all the possible valuables.

Density separation in a fluid matrix is just not a very difficult task.
a sluice is very simple, and it can be adjusted.

The problem is with the pump/motor combo ...
Those manufactured for small dredge use are a whole lot superior than what you can coble together.
Next problem is the suction hose. It's expensive.

Good luck!
rmptr

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006
Got me a bit lost too, ??? ??? ??? How about doing a google search on what you want. :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study: There are a million gold fossicking/dredging sites in the world full of all sorts of info. I dont understand why people are sooooo lazy that they dont a little bit of homework & read over forums & posts to find the answers they want rather than waste other peoples time etc etc. You will be damn suprised at other very usefull & helpfull info that you will come across at the same time...... ::) ::) ::)

Happy golding

JW

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
No one is wasting your time if you don't respond. Sure, you can google and find information, but of course a google search will also lead you here.

OP
OP
rubberdiver13

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
Shenandoah Digger said:
No one is wasting your time if you don't respond. Sure, you can google and find information, but of course a google search will also lead you here.
thanks guys, you have been helpful

JamesE

Reminds me of when I started prospecting 20 years ago in Iowa. 2 guys with a homemade wooden sluice and one pan. Library research from history and soil maps, no internet. We were really riding the short bus as far as know how :tard:.
Closest thing to prospectors were rockhounds, they knew where every rock came from but had no interest in gold or sharing info if they did. >:(
Best I can offer is try to find someone or a club and DVD's to see first hand how everything works. Probably not a lot of possibilities in your area.
Are you sure you wouldn't have just as much fun with a good quality detector? :icon_scratch:
A lot of good stuff from way back and forever is found all over Britain. :icon_study:
Best of luck, Jim
Here's one that's about as far fetched as it gets.
A recent documentary says that geology indicates the US Appalachians were once joined with the Loch Ness area and ain't no more due to tectonic movement. If you want to study the subject, there may OR probably isn't some of the same gold from Americas' early eastern gold rush still on the once common shores of GB. :icon_study:
If you find it there, keep quiet and PM me, I'll bring my equipment. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions