Update on Sunset Review of Alabama Historical Commission

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
September 20, 2005

On September 29th the Sunset Review Committee will determine their recommendations to correct problems or abolish the Alabama Historical Commission. All divers, collectors and historians need to write to Senator Larry Dixon this week and give your suggestions concerning the AHC. A written letter is best but an email is better than nothing. Here is his email address [email protected]. The important thing is to do this now before the meeting. Please take time today to write your letter or email. Senator Dixon is the Chairman of the Sunset Committee and will share your letters with the other members.

This is a copy of the letter I have sent.

September 20, 2005

Senator Larry Dixon

820 East Fairview Avenue

Montgomery, AL. 36106

Dear Senator Dixon,

I am writing to you about the Sunset review of the Alabama Historical Commission. The AHC has proved itself to be totally incompetent in performing its mission and serving the people of Alabama. I appreciate the Legislators becoming involved and hopefully fixing the problems within this rogue agency.

My suggestions for the AHC are:

1. All directors who have been directors for more than two years should be asked to resign. They failed to exercise their responsibilities to control the staff of the AHC. The Governor should appoint new directors who are interested in Alabama History but not with a hidden agenda of funneling business to the Schools who they work for. The schools and colleges should not be appointing the directors and we don't need the AHC to be an archaeology department. The AHC should be about history not archaeology referrals for colleges.

2. The department heads of the AHC and the acting Executive Director should be fired or allowed to resign. They are and have been the main problem with the attitude of the AHC in serving the public.

3. A state of emergency should be declared at the AHC and Jim Bennett should be hired to clean up and repair the AHC. Jim Bennett is the only person that I know of who is familiar with the problems and capable of correcting them. He has done a great job in making Tannehill Park the great success that it is. Tannehill gets as many visitors each year as all of the AHC properties combined and does not require any monies from the state to operate.

4. The other solution would be to put the AHC back under the Dept. of Archives and History. The properties could be under the control and management of the Dept. of Conservation. Both of these agencies are good and capable with excellent management and leadership.

5. Whatever recommendations are made I hope the Sunset Commission will monitor the AHC in the future. The people of Alabama can't allow the incompetence to continue at the AHC.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Steve Phillips

Southern Skin Divers Supply

4515 5th Avenue South

Birmingham, AL. 35222

205-595-3052

http://www.ssdsupply.com/

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread