mercury

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
It has been my experience that it will be right at the bottom of the pan whether covered with mercury or not. Just keep the gold that is not covered away from the covered as it will all be covered with the mercury.

OP
OP
spawn00x

spawn00x

Jan 25, 2009
El Paso Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70
Thanks, Ive been finding this white looking material in my pan that acts like gold but is not as heavy.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No,the gold is still gold.Mercury is heavy too.Once you see it you cant mistake it.I thought I had a better picture(I should %60 of the gold I find has mercury on it)but you can see it in the bottom vial.Bigfish has a good picture of some.

Attachments

• mercury.jpg
    mercury.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 473

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Kuger is right, especially in NV. The Carson river is full of mercury (from the old Dayton mines) and if you sluice in it, your sluice box will be covered in it. The mercury will dissapear (evaporate) with a little heat. Do it outside or use a retort.....jim

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes most water ways in gold country is loaded with it.I have some interesting stories about the Carson River and the Gov.,but I wont get into that.ITs rhetorical but I do not recommend putting any kind of heat or using Nitric acid on Mercury unless you absolutely know what you are doing......it kills

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
To me, Bigfish's looks more like lead shards than Kugers...

I'd wash it in a bit of dilute nitric acid to see if it reacts.

Sure, as Kuger says, it's all toxic when you go messin with it..

Stayin in the cold water to get more will get you arthritis, too!

I've also had gray slivers in samples I'd taken down in southern California after running through a small ball mill.
Nitric wouldn't touch it. The sample was poor for Au so we didn't pursue further testing, but all we could think was that it might be some free platinum. I dunno...

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
It does look like lead when the coating is thin. I accidentally added some contaminated material to my smaller nuggets and it spread over some of it. One piece is half covered. I am familliar with it's characteristics.

Attachments

• mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 392
  • mercury 022.jpg
    mercury 022.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 318

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread