GPAA, are most claims overworked?

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I'm finally able to start gold panning, which I have wanted to do for a very very long time.

I was considering joining the GPAA to get access to their claims. I was wondering if most of their claims have been worked so hard that they really isn't much left for guys like me starting out. I would be more interested in claims to use in Oregon ( western/southwestern).

Any feedback would be a great help.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I joined GPAA last year, and at first I was a bit bummed about not finding
gold right off at their claims. Truth is, I think much of the digging at GPAA
claims occurs in the areas with easiest access, and not necessarily where
the best gold is located. GPAA claims are typically 60 ac.+, so if you're
willing to get out, bust some brush and prospect the claim you can still find
decent gold.

That said, I just checked the GPAA claims book and there are -0- claims
in NY. If you wish to travel south, or out west there are plenty of their
claims you can visit. In your case, if there is a local prospecting club then
your $ might be better spent there, but if not (and you're prepared to
travel) then GPAA might be a good choice for you.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There is gold on gpaa claims...you just have to know where to look.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mick, I expect there will be some great finds this year around the GPAA claims around Randsburg. The summer storms ripped this area up real good and moved a lot of earth. I stumbled across one area out here that has an underground water source bubbling up, it's right under a crop of stained quartz. One day I'll return there and dig down and make a pit to pan in. May or may not have color but it'll be a blast actually being able to pan it right there.

Mr. Seeker

May 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Let me give you some thing to think about.
I wondered the same thing , so decided to join the LDMA life time. It was a little bit more money but, It gave all the claims of the GPAA and also all of the LDMA. I don't know
if they are still having there promotion of joining them . They are giving away a metal detector worth about $900.oo and the price is there. I check . If you take away the cost
of that you'll be close to pay for the GPAA membership.
Just a thought.
I' getting ready to find out myself. I'm total ready and it's all new. GOOD LUCK we all need just a little.
MR SEEKER

Last edited:

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, Let me give you some thing to think about.
I wondered the same thing , so decided to join the LDMA life time. It was a little bit more money but, It gave all the claims of the GPAA and also all of the LDMA. I don't know
if they are still having there promotion of joining them . They are giving away a metal detector worth about $900.oo and the price is there. I check . If you take away the cost
of that you'll be close to pay for the GPAA membership.
Just a thought.
I' getting ready to find out myself. I'm total ready and it's all new. GOOD LUCK we all need just a little.
MR SEEKER

Way to resurrect a thread from 2009. Welcome to T-net.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my best and largest gold has come from gpaa claims.

Tony_agr

Jun 1, 2014
Placerville
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The GPAA just added 5 new claims in my area, the first Old claim I went to was kind of a bummer..some "A"hole thought it would be fun to load the creek with#8 lead shot
makes the metal detector and operator work really hard for lead... I'm going to check the mew claims as soon as it cools down a bit..not much fun when temps are upper 90's
For the $85 bucks to join,I'd say its well worth it, find a claim which is a hike to get to,I think that these are not worked as much because of the locale
Good luck..the mining guide is awesome , the Newspaper (Pick &shovel Gazette) lists new claims with GPS coordinates and area descriptions

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's still gold there.

Checked out a claim a while ago and it wasn't too bad.
Beautiful place and very remote.
History of being dredged out so I assume what I found was fresh deposit from within the last 10 years or so.

Thanking of playing hooky next week and check out another GPAA claim south of me.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's just like hunting on public land, the closest and easiest areas to get to are going to be hit hard. The more remote area's are going to be the best producers, as long as you know what your doing. Here in Colorado, the Arkansas River GPAA claims are replenished every year. So if your willing to work harder to reach areas away from the camp grounds, you will be in areas that don't see any prospecting for five to ten years at a time. If your going to another state, you can join local clubs to increase the availability of good claims while you're on your vacation. In Colorado you can also join the Gold Prospectors of Colorado (GPOC) for $25 a year, and you get access to all the claims for that as well as other benefits.

Frank Durham

Dec 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a very new member to GPAA .. but from what I can see from reading the magazines and newsletters that I found online,.

it would seem to me that the GPAA drops 'x' number of claims a year, and picks up 'x' of new claims per year.. seems some stay around .. but within a 5 to 10 year span I think they have dropped and added enough claims to keep things interesting ..

my guess they lose claims sometimes because people being people can be disrespectful , and seem to forget there NOT on there own claim .. and should treat others land with respect, when you don't. and you leave holes all over someones claim, leave trash everywhere, and keep doing it, they kind of get pissed and take away the right for any joe shmoe to come dig on there claim. and allow only there friends on the claim. just my observation.

I realize some other reasons are vaild for claim loses too.. like greedy claim owners wanted more from the GPAA for whatever reason.. etc.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is something I enjoy doing...
1.) Take a friend out that is excited about panning for gold.
2.) Show them how to gather a pan full of potential gravel.
3.) Pan it down in front of them...telling them the whole time how you have to carefully wash the lighter material out or you will lose the gold.
4.) When you get to the bottom of the pan...swirl it around and show them the gold flakes.
5.) They will usually ask you in amazement "That's gold?...Can I touch it?"
6.) Allow a few minutes for them to soak in the idea that they are holding gold.
7.) Throw the pan of concentrates back in the river and watch them nearly jump in after it. "HEY what are you doing!?"

"Good Color" is a relative term.

I would guess...that most of the GPAA claims in California all have enough "color" to make a novice prospector happy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread