GPAA, are most claims overworked?

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I'm finally able to start gold panning, which I have wanted to do for a very very long time.

I was considering joining the GPAA to get access to their claims. I was wondering if most of their claims have been worked so hard that they really isn't much left for guys like me starting out. I would be more interested in claims to use in Oregon ( western/southwestern).

Any feedback would be a great help.

Upvote 0

flourchild

Feb 25, 2008
I'm out in ohio and here the claims are heavily worked and lack a whole lot of color but I think your odds are better out west than back here in the east as you all have replenishable au locations as we only have the glacial gold that will never be replenished in my lifetime :'(

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Jocap, If you join GPAA you will get their claims guide. It has thousands of claims all over the USA in it. Most of them out west. Those claims are mostly private, but can be used by LDMA and GPAA members. Some for a small fee. The LDMA claims are for LDMA members only and can only be used by GPAA members when they have a general outing at one of those camps. Those outings cost about 175.00 for 3 to 5 days. Have been member for 6 years. Let me know if you need more info.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey jorcap…..I join the GPAA way back when the Buzzard was the man. A lot of the claims are marginal. Some are great for experienced miners. How do you get the experience? By hard work and doing it. My claim “Joyce” in California had a lot of gold on it when I turned it over to GPAA.I had found easier places to work. Is there anything there now? I would have to say yes. I don’t know what has happened there in the past 20 years or so but I know for a fact that they never got it all and no one will ever get it all…Art

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have read in places that many of these GPAA claims don't hold much at all and considering I would join specifically for this benefit I didn't want to be left skunked.

gametalman52, I wasn't even aware of the LDMA until I read your reply in another post. A lil on the steep side as far as price goes but in the long run this may be the way to go. Thanks for the info.

aarthrj3811, just outa of beginners curiosity, what are the average prices to stake a claim. I'm sure it varies alot depending on location ect. I'm just curious as to what someone can expect to shell out.

flourchild , I'm from back east and know exactly what your are talking about. Although, we do have many other outdoor activities that keep us occupied.

HH

submerged

May 20, 2005
Fishkill N.Y.
Jocap

I have been to Ga, Sc, Nc ldma propertiesat least 10 times each this past year and as usual dredging 4" you leave with marginal yellow pickings at any of these sites. I was able to get permission from a this older guy I helped in Ga his car was disabled on the highway, he gave me permission to prospect on his property and it is just above the ldma property so I stayed the day and that turned into a week on his stream and averaged an 1/2 oz a day and one pocket held over an oz. I have also dredged Sc and Nc private properties the same stream as ldma and did far better So yes the Gpaa/Ldma properties are picked out more than adjoining properties on the same waters. JMO

Ed

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a member since old Buzzard was there, too. I cannot really tell you about the eastern claims.

But, we have been to many, many claims in the west. (joined LDMA years ago, too).

Some are good, some are better, some are marginal. Except for where they have some outings here and there A - none of them are really over-used.

A couple around Stanton are a little crowded most of the time, and a few in California get a tad crowded from time to time (usually depends on the time of year), but we have been to many where there was enough gold to have fun, and had the places to ourselves.

The best ones seem to be the ones that are harder to get to, and don't have a place to park your camper 30 feet from the road. (we always tent camp).

A few - very few - have been misused - but the GPAA people will usually clean them up, and you are expected to help out by doing what you can, to make sure it doesn't get and stay that way. (that's the best way to get a claim pulled - trash it up or misuse it).

B

PS: What it costs to get your own claim definitely depends on what state you are in and what kind of claim.

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I do not know what it is like now with Tom (George Jr) and Perry in charge. But, with the 'Buzzard' it was a good organization. I am a member and the claims book is at least a third smaller. However, The claims is not the number one reason to join GPAA. Years ago, they were the only lobbying group for recreational miners. I do not know if that is the case today. The brothers sold everthing to a group that now owns 'The outdoor Channel' They just bought it back along with LDMA and the mine in Nome. You would have to check with them if they still employ a lobbiest. The other fact is dry camping. As long as you are on a GPAA claim, you can dry camp on a GPAA claim if there is access for you to do so.....jim

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
You got that right B. Nevada and California are completely different. Some people don’t know that you have to file with the County where it is located before you can go to BLM. The process can be easy or it can be hard. If the State has some kind of “Withdrawal” on the area you have to deal with them. It seems like the State of California has most every stream and river in a Power Withdrawal.
California BLM has a good book on how to file claims. It has everything that you need to know in it. There is a lot to learn but it is easy when you know what you are doing. The fees, taxes and rental are all very reasonable. You don’t own the claim just the rights to mine it. There are rules that have to be followed..….Art

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, don't know about other states, but I am positive that in some counties in California, you also have to pay property taxes. (Like Plumas County).

B

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give the GPAA a go. It's seems like a good organization.

I wont be expecting much in way of their claims but at least I will have areas to pan.

HH all

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats the right attitude--whatever--just gonna learn and have a bit a fun--besides--just think for a sec--Ifn' ya had a claim loaded with gold at $1000 a oz---would you give it away for free-- :tard: tons a au 2 u 2 -John

OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
Now thats the right attitude--whatever--just gonna learn and have a bit a fun--besides--just think for a sec--Ifn' ya had a claim loaded with gold at $1000 a oz---would you give it away for free-- :tard: tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Wouldn't be for free if I'm working my back panning or shoveling into a sluice. My labor has value ;D

DEMERSON

Dec 17, 2008
Hemet,ca
Detector(s) used
fisher F2
i dont know about being overworked. i think here out west. the few claims i've been to. have shown signs of activity.but i dont think the knowledge of the prospectors was very good. you just see random holes dug all over. without any ryme or reason. if people would just listen and research. before digging blind maybe they would find some color.

Mick93

Feb 27, 2008
MidWest
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
My wife and I hit many western gpaa claims , mostly drywashing and I would have to say that yes most gpaa claims have been hit very hard. There is still gold to be found but in my opinion you would do much better joining a local club in the area you will be prospecting. This is nothing against gpaa we are still members and they give you many places in many states to try your luck.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DEMERSON...

Good point.....about overworked claims... If you do your homework, you'll be surprised how much gold is still there...

When prospecting a dry wash, for instance.... one requirement is to envision how the water looks at high water times... try to see, from where the dry sands are piled up...where the larger rocks stopped... use Google Earth at home and study the area you are wanting to prospect..... and just seriously look for the common signs of where gold would accumulate... in other words... READ THE DRY WATER COURSE.....as if it had water in it....

If you're a dredger, during high water times of year round streams and rivers, actually visit the claims and take pictures of how the water is reacting during serious storms......record in pictures and by notes, where the boil points are in the areas you are contemplating dredging that year... and then set your dredge accordingly in the summer....based on the data you have recorded...

Profitable prospecting requires a similar effort of research as one would do in locating a hidden treasure story...the difference is you are looking for changes in the water currents and sands left behind in dry washes...or boil places in rivers and streams...

Happy and successful prospecting to all...

Klondike...

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oregon ey? oregon is very wet. some places show bedrock so digging is easy. But some places are too hard to reach bedrock because all the water in the area.
Theres a claim that started in 1870 here. I tracked it down on google earth and there are 3 trucks showering up. a loading trailer and a big yellow machine in the corner with what looks like some rv's or travle trailer. Best to my knowlege that place was supposed to be abandoned in 1925.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure of the Sierra Madre. J. Houston summed up the value of an ounce of gold that way. It's the effort that the miner puts into getting that ounce that makes it valuable. Great movie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread