Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched the TV Show Gold Fever several times and just can't get interested in it. Every episode starts out and ends up about the same. It's this guy walking around a bunch of guys working a sleuce or flume of some kind and talking about them. Then they show a little gold flake and try to sell you on joining thier club. Every episode shows the people working their butts off for not much return. I've seen one pretty goodhaul of gold "sand"and an occasional nugget but mostly just show gold. They mention meta detecting but I havenever seen anyone doing it. I would like to see a program that tells about a good find from beginning to end and gives some of the history of the land, etc. Maybe I'm expecting too much but after a while it gets boring. Anyone else been watching this on OLN? jimakaks

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to Watch Tom Tripping Over Boulders, Bumping his Head on Cave Roofs, & Running from Bats (I'm supprised he dosn't wear a Cook pot on his head to enter) & Dynamite?(He goes from Talking to a Whisper as soon as he sees it) :D

Last show on caves , he started Chucking (Caughing & Gasping for air), Realized there was bad air & had his Camera man & himself Running for the Exit? ;D

He always Makes Caveing Look like alot of fun? :)

HE Should NEVER try to sing tho.

At the Last GPAA Gold & Treasure Show I attended, They had a poster of him, With the Headline.

DON'T DO AS I DO
? DO AS I SAY.

And it Listed all the Stupid Things he Does.

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
I watch the Gold Fever show whenever I can and just take Tom with a grain of salt. He seems to be a alright guy, maybe just a bit goofy at times. I'd rather hang with a guy like him than some of those guys with no sense of humor.The theme song for the show is what irritates me so I hit the mute button and wait it out,lol.

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
bigticket said:
beeper said:
bigticket said:
beeper said:
Prospecting America
That is the name of the other show.
CORRECT there are about 4 different titles
When I looked, there two shows, and a third one very occasionally.
i'll have to check out my tivo season passes, i belive there 4 or 5, gold fever, buzzerdite classics, prospecting america,gold prospecting, and as what Jeff brought up gold prospecting with george massie

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
beeper said:
bigticket said:
beeper said:
bigticket said:
beeper said:
Prospecting America
That is the name of the other show.
CORRECT there are about 4 different titles
When I looked, there two shows, and a third one very occasionally.
i'll have to check out my tivo season passes, i belive there 4 or 5, gold fever, buzzerdite classics, prospecting america,gold prospecting, and as what Jeff brought up gold prospecting with george massie
Anyway, there were two main ones, which were on regularly.

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom started filming the Gold Fever Shows in1994 after his Dad passed away.
Tom's dad the Buzzard (George Massie)had two shows both of them Tom filmed and Produced.
I think Perry started filming Prospecting America in 1999 after being on tom's shows a few times.
Tom's wife Cindy was doing alot of the filming for him but after all the crazy places he likes to find him self in she has stepped aside but she still go's out with him on most of his trips.

Great shows some are better than others.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bulletboy said:
? The theme song for the show is what irritates me so I hit the mute button and wait it out,lol.

He did a Show on COLORADO once.

He tryed to sing a John Denver song. NOT that I like John Denver , But Either Tom Didn't Know the Words, Or He Just Decided to Bucher it, But After the First Course, I had to hit the Mute :D

He can be glad he's got his show, Because a Music Career for him is Definately OUT OF THE QUESTION :P

I'll have to tell him that, next time I see him at a Gold Show ;)
I'm shure he'll get a laugh out of it.

he Definately has a sense of humor.

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
jeff of pa said:
Bulletboy said:
? The theme song for the show is what irritates me so I hit the mute button and wait it out,lol.

? ?He did a Show on COLORADO once.

He tryed to sing a John Denver song. NOT that I like John Denver , But Either Tom Didn't Know the Words, Or He Just Decided to Bucher it, But After the First Course, I had to hit the Mute? ?:D

? He can be glad he's got his show, Because a Music Career for him is Definately OUT OF THE QUESTION? :P

I'll have to tell him that, next time I see him at a Gold Show? ;)
I'm shure he'll get a laugh out of it.

? ?he Definately has a sense of humor.

No mute button for me,I bounce and dance to all of it, even drive down the highway, bellering MOTHER LOOOOOODE!, HA! gotta love it!
must be that snake bite medicine in me!

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres another show on outdoor channel 2 - cant remember th name of the show, but its all about metal detectorists..and their finds..goes nation wide. problem is the channel is for HD, and if its not available in your area,,,oh well..all i can get in my area is outdoor channel 1. wish i could get it..rather watch that than the same faces every week soliciiting new GPAA members.. i really wish I was close to a good area for finding gold..but I'm in North Texas..not much around here that I'm aware of.

Rockyredbaron

shadowwalker

Feb 19, 2006
Been Lurking here for a couple a months.In 1992 or 1993 I was in the GPAA in Wyoming. I was new to prospecting and had a blast in southern and northwest part of the state.
I had a buddy that was a prospector for 27 years in Arizona,Colorado,Wyoming,Montana. His name was William Budd. He saw a couple of shows on GPAA with Buzzard and laughed at me when I said I was a member.
"I been in some of those general area's, an I got only one thing to say about ol' Buzzard there. He's gittin rich alrighty. But it ain't off them gold sites. It's off the folks he's selling the tickets to, to go there! An your goin to have to hunt alot of gold at them places for seventy-four dollars worth!
I learned alot off Budd about prospecting and cache hunting. One day I realized in 1999 I hadn't heard of him that spring on his way through town. Since the last year. I figgured he was gone on.

CACHEHNTR

Jan 25, 2006
Hibbing, Mn
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the shows but have to admit that they are disapointing alot of the time. Tom sure does seem to fall down alot. He seems alot like the goofy cousin nobody wants around them at the family reunions. I have watched them for quite a few years now and used to think the same as monty (alot of work for not much to show) but now in the last few months damn it if I'm not getting bitten by the gold bug myself! LOL I never expected to be doing this but I've just bought the garrett gold pan kit and have been searching the net tying to find as much information as I can. I live in Michigans Upper Peninsula and there is gold here,maybe more than I think along with silver and copper. Which brings me to a question. Where is the best place to get some information on the how to's of gold/silver/copper prospecting? I've done research and found information on placer gold being found in rivers around the U.P. but I'm just not quite sure of the correct areas to look at when out prospecting. Anybody on here from the U.P. ? Sorry I guess I'm taking this off topic, :-\

cpt_peewee

Jan 22, 2004
LA (Lower Arkansas)
Yeah he falls down a lot! ;D It's great to see someone on TV who's as graceful as I am. Hey it takes a lot of hard work to build a physique like Tom, Larry the Cable Guy, and I have. (I would have included John Candy but he worked a little too hard at it.) Maybe there's room for one more robust hillbilly in show biz. Get R Done. Nahh.
HH
CPW

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
Thats funny, I have seen about every gold show the Massey's have taped, I have direct tv and purchase the outdoorchannel ala carte for $1.99 per mo. I have TiVo and record every epesode, as i was watching tv the other night I relized I have had enough of Perry being to cold and a personality of a frog, as far as Goofy Tom, has the heart of a warrior.
Perry does more of showing what the other people do, where as Tom does it first hand, from jumpin in a river to walking a cave, seen Perry pan but not dredge. you won't see Perry with holes in the knees of his pants.

C

catch

I don't really get bothered by Tom. I liked that one episode where he was diving and came up yelling to his daughter Shae to get him a screwdriver, and when he came up he had that fat nugget! Gold fever really got me there! Him showing off those old giant drenchers was intresting too. I like how he went in that cave and saw that antique stick of dynamite bleeding nitro glisteren. Now that was funny!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
catch said:
I like how he went in that cave and saw that antique stick of dynamite bleeding nitro glisteren. Now that was funny!

Yea it was ! LOL .

Funny thing, I always thought they scouted the cave ahead of time because of Snakes, Etc.

So either he acts alot, Or he realy does like to take chances.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions