Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've watched the TV Show Gold Fever several times and just can't get interested in it. Every episode starts out and ends up about the same. It's this guy walking around a bunch of guys working a sleuce or flume of some kind and talking about them. Then they show a little gold flake and try to sell you on joining thier club. Every episode shows the people working their butts off for not much return. I've seen one pretty goodhaul of gold "sand"and an occasional nugget but mostly just show gold. They mention meta detecting but I havenever seen anyone doing it. I would like to see a program that tells about a good find from beginning to end and gives some of the history of the land, etc. Maybe I'm expecting too much but after a while it gets boring. Anyone else been watching this on OLN? jimakaks

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Enjoy the Shows Jim, But I can't Get Intrested in them anymore Either.

I guess Their Just Not Hitting any good Spots Right Now Or Running Out of Ideas.

I Still Enjoy them When He's CAVEING, Otherwise, I Change the Channel.

I realy Can't Take the way TOM, Talks Down To everyone Anymore Either.

The "Baby Talk" is Getting Rediculous.

jeff

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I've met Tom Masse and belive me Jeff, he isn't talking down, He's just a little slow. That's one of the things I like about him. His brother is all about the money. The LDMA and GPAA are not the organizations that they used to be. The show could definately use some freash ideas. Maybey a few letters from folks like us would help. By the way Jeff, I mentioned some time back that you guys should , perhaps, compile some of the wisdom and stories found here on TN, write a book and make lots of loot. Just a thought. HH! Chris

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Tom comes off as a hick, I'd probably not tolerate him well if he came up on me while I was hibanking or dredging and ask if I could do a clean up to see how we are doing..

Now Perry I enjoy, he is an educated man and comes off as one. He curbs the urge to show off like Tom doesn't.

Tom's english is atrocious. he kept repeating a word on this weekends episode that drove me nutz, "PREGNATED" with Gold!!
He said it probably ten times, that and Man O' Man.. Ain't, gonna, I am sure he is trying to come off like his dad who was a simple man, but a humble man, Tom is neither.

I'd like to see someone with some polish do a decent prospecting series. Au, AG, PMG, and industrial metals, exploration, geology, rockhounding, recover methods, claims, etc, etc.
Au is great stuff, In fact I've got the bug myself, but I don't say Man O' Man anytime I see a flash in the pan!!

I've never seen a program where Perry goes off in one of the one mines with a single mantle Coleman Lantern and get back it 1000' and the lantern goes out. I've seen Tom do that and SFB keeps filiming and the air it!!

I know 90% of Tom is him trying to tell you how much Gold is "still out there", his kids getting in the way while he's taping, I don't want to see his yard apes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
southern gent said:
I've met Tom Masse and belive me Jeff, he isn't talking down, He's just a little slow. That's one of the things I like about him. His brother is all about the money. The LDMA and GPAA are not the organizations that they used to be. The show could definately use some freash ideas. Maybey a few letters from folks like us would help. By the way Jeff, I mentioned some time back that you guys should , perhaps, compile some of the wisdom and stories found here on TN, write a book and make lots of loot. Just a thought. HH! Chris

I met TOM also at the GPAA show here in PA last Year.

In My Opinion, his Persona in Person, Compaired to on TV is Like NIGHT & DAY.

I could See Being Comfortable Around Him, Even Tho, I couldn't Get along with the Person He Comes Off as On Alot of his Shows Lately.

Just My Opinion.

Jeff

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
As an aside, I do think the value of the club is worth it's fee for a new comer, and for people that don't have time to stake or maintain their own claims.

I don't like the fact that the programs have become infomercials for the GPAA this degrades both the shows and the club.

I do like the claim guide, but I also like I can do my own due diligence and find my own claims if I so desire, Perry did a show with Joe P from Durango CO, where they staked a claim down around Silverton CO. It was a great program, I still have it on our DVR. I also have Perry's episode on Black sands.. I am trying to figure out how to burn them to CD so I have a permanent copy.
I think probably what happens with a lot of GPAA claims is that the areas easiest to work get overworked so it requires a bit more prospecting then they let on to find good color. I see them working common digs on the programs a lot, I'd rather see Perry meet a couple guys in an area and they do some geology prospecting, showing formations, and then dig, test and produce.

I'd like to seem them do one on hard rock operations showing the entire process rather then the some old lets go back in a old mine and poke around.. Damn, if you are going show it!, do it!! from extraction, crushing, leaching, separation, recovering and smelting.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Sure the show is all about the GPAA and alway's have been. Back in the 80's and early 90's the GPAA was the only one's that helped the miners fight the goverment in California. I still donate to them for what they did in the past. I think the newbie's can still learn from the show's so if you don't like it just use your remote...Art

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
In person and up close,both Tom and Perry are super people.Their mother died this past year and the reruns did get a little stale.A lot of what you said about Tom were from very early shows.This past spring,I know they were filming again in CO the same wknd the gold show was in Denver.New episodes will be out as soon as they can.However,even in the reruns,I have seen four metal detecting episodes.

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to love watching Buzzard use a detector. BANG BANG BANG! I can't belive how tough those old Whites were. HH! Chris

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
art,

I agree for newbie the GPAA offers the BEST and Quickest way to get started and places to go. I for one will keep my Membership active for a couple of reasons.

1. Availability of known Claims
2. Opportunity for trips
3. Learning values - (even old dogs can teach new tricks)..
4. It develops the interest in placer mining no other group has been able to do.

I've yet to experience a Motherlode or AK trip but I am hoping one is in the offing in a year or so.

I do like Tom and Perry on their shows I just kind of wish the infomercial idea would tone down a bit, I think the past few episodes have decreased a bit in lieu of actual commercials, (bookoo, and Joel P. )

I do think with Tom its "imitation is the best form of flattery.." His dad was truly a simple man.. I believe George simple roots are something Tom is trying to capture for himself. Perry on the other hand doesn't hold the same type of reverences for George, this is not saying he doesn't hold his dad highly, he just is his own man.

I do believe Perry and Tom are probably very personable, I've yet to meet them, my only way of getting a picture of them right now is on the tube. I hope some day to meet one of them in Wyoming or Colorado. or on a Motherlode trip.

Here in the flatlands, my options are limited. I'd jump at the chance to get out "that way" more often.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too don't like the persona Tom reflects on TV. I watched one of Bozzards shows about a month ago and he had a much younger Tom on (of course)! He didn't introduce him as his son but as Tom Massey and said he was a CPA! I agree he is trying to be more like his father, but he should just be himself. His father was natural.

A

abishiai

I'm a big fan of all the gold shows on the Outdoor Channel. I guess I'm still new enough to prospecting that some of these things haven't started to wear on me. I saw my first show several months ago and the next Sunday I was out to Follows Camp (the spot featured on the show) and found a fleck of gold. Since then I'm hooked. I watch every show, spend my Sat evenings reading this forum, and counting the hours until my next venture into the hills.

A couple weeks ago I joined the GPAA and went out to one of their claims. I poked around and found nothing. Then tried one more spot and found twelve flecks in one pan!!

Someday I'll probably cut the umbilical cord and start staking my own claims, but for now, I've got my TiVo recording every episode so I can watch 'em while I run on my treadmill.

Cheer,

Kevin

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess gold prospecting just isn't my cup of tea?? Being somewhat physically handicapped it looks like more hard work than I would be able to do.? I never intended to bad mouth any of you guys who enjoy this sort of thing, just mostly curious about how much interest there is in this aspect of treasure hunting.? I did finally see an episode where the host was prospecting with a metal detector, working the cracks between layers of bedroc, etc.? I found it interesting, probably because it is something I could do.? But my gosh, how he treated his equipment!? Coil wire hanging loose and dangling all around the coil, banging into rocks, etc.? I am surprised he found anything as he was probably picking up some sort of interference at least from his own coil wire!? But in spite of that he dug one pretty nice nugget and another smaller one in just a few minutes.? Do you think it was a live segment or perhaps was it salted with earlier finds because of time limitations?? I don't really see anything unethical if it was salted for that reason but it would sure give the average novice unrealistic expectations.? Well, at any rate it doesn't really matter I don't suppose, so curiosity satisfied I'll politely bow out and thanks for your insightful comments.? Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I guess gold prospecting just isn't my cup of tea?? Being somewhat physically handicapped it looks like more hard work than I would be able to do.? I never intended to bad mouth any of you guys who enjoy this sort of thing, just mostly curious about how much interest there is in this aspect of treasure hunting.? I did finally see an episode where the host was prospecting with a metal detector, working the cracks between layers of bedroc, etc.? I found it interesting, probably because it is something I could do.? But my gosh, how he treated his equipment!? Coil wire hanging loose and dangling all around the coil, banging into rocks, etc.? I am surprised he found anything as he was probably picking up some sort of interference at least from his won coil wire!? But in spite of that he dug one pretty nice nugget and another smaller one in just a few minutes.? Do you think it was a live segment or perhaps was it salted with earlier finds because of time limitations?? I don't really see anything unethical if it was salted for that reason but it would sure give the average novice unrealistic expectations.? Well, at any rate it doesn't really matter I don't suppose, so curiosity satisfied I'll politely bow out and thanks for your insightful comments.? Monty

I still Think they Find those Nuggets with the Detector as is suggested.
However, I also think it takes alot longer then they suggest.
but then , their only 1 hour shows & they only do 10 minutes on detecting at a time.
? I DON't THINK the camera is there for every dig they do.
? SO I think when they find a nugget, they call the camera guy over & Reinact the find.
As you said No biggie.

I believe this because I have seen shows where they got Skunked.
IF it was Salted, I would think they would Salt it for Every Show.

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho
I enjoy watching the shows. I have never panned or gone prospecting before, but I will eventually. I set them up to record on my DVR and just fast foward through the informercials and commercials. It makes an hour episode about 20 min. I scan though a week of the outdoor channel shows and record every prospecting show. It makes for a good hour or two of entertainment some time during the week. -- Commercials are getting worse and worse. When I was younger it seemed like there was about 2 min of commercials ever 15 min. Not it is about 5 min for every 15 min. I mostly record anything I want to watch now and fast foward though the commericals -- I figure it saves me about 20 min for every hour of televsion I want to watch -- adds up pretty quick. If I watch 1 hour of TV per day and I save 20 min on each hour that equates to 120 hours per year. -- Sorry had to go off there :-\ :-X :-X

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
I used to watch gold shows occasionally, and it seems that there was another show, called Gold Prospecting (I think). What about that one?

A

abishiai

I don't think they do too much "salting" on the Gold Fever show. I think Mr. Tom has a cameraman follow him around all day as he prospects and chatters. When he finds something, they've got it on camera "live". Then they take the tapes back and their editors / producers put the show together with a recorded voice track to tie it together.

One of my favorite shows was when they recently showed an ocean dredging operation in Nome. The guys got 400 ounces in about ten days. The pile of gold made GREAT video!

Cheer,

kp

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I watched Perry on one show and he looked all day with a detector (minelab) and didn't find a nugget.He did find a bullet.If you don't want a claim guide when you renew,you can just get your card and the magazine for about $30.

beeper

Sep 23, 2005
California
i have seen about every episode on the Outdoor channel , Gold Fever to Prospecting America, with TiVo, i have it set for a season pass. I enjoy all of it, my wife thinks I'm a little nuts but hey, we all need to something to occupy our time. the show is only for entertainment and to sell the membership. the claims guide is everything a modern day prospector can ask for, the membership is CHEAP, what other hobby can you pay $79.00 to do your hobby and camp (in most places) free, OUTDOORS!, other than staking your own claim, it is just getting out and the quest for finding GOLD. We MDers do the samething, THE QUEST!.
as far as Tom or Perry, two different people, Perry a little to stiff for me, sure enjoy Tom jumping off BIG rocks splashing into rivers, Tom is entertaining to say the least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread