Share your tips or ideas of what works and doesnt work.

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
Share your tips or ideas of what works and doesn't work.

I thought it might be cool to see what every one has done new or learned this summer on what works and what did not work.

How about sharing some experiences out there .. friends, animals, disasters avioded, those kinds of things.

Hope to hear from you soon.. i really dont have any stories yet to tell cause i am very new to this.

thanks

Axgar

Attachments

• Ohio gold.jpg
    Ohio gold.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 589
  • Ohio gold.jpg
    Ohio gold.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 619
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
Re: Share your tips or ideas of what works and doesn't work.

come on now dont be shy .. i am not asking for your bank accounts ... just some friendly tips or ideas from what you have learned in your vast experience of looking and find gold ..i say GOLD!

thanks Axgar

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio

WOW must be some seriouse trade secrets out there .. if i was not such a newbie i might have a tip to tell. Ohhh got one ..

Look for your tools and water gear at yard and garage sales. i just picked up a good pair of hip waders for 15 bucks .. and NO leaks how about that .

well keep them coming guys and gals.

Axgar

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA

Paint all of your tools bright florescent orange...Don't know how often I've set something down while crevicing or dredging and couldn't find it for fifteen or twenty seconds...Doesn't sound like a long time but it gets to be frustrating after awhile. Some things I've dropped or set down never to be seen again!

TOWcritter

I have found all my gold in a small section of creek in the decomposing bedrock. Popping rocks and scraping out the mud. Works for me. I found gold where it's never been found before. Hopefully it pans out for me. LOL. No pun intended.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To REALLY find great info fast go to Marcs great archives,there are thousands of threads containing much needed info.Join a club,be it gold,detecting,or gem and mineral and you'll find goldnutz.You'll see different equipment in use,gain access to claims(usually)and meet some fantastic same minded fanatics with goldlust same as you !!Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

O

oregongoldprospector

if you are like me, i hate panning, but it is a necessary evil.... one i determined to ALMOST eliminate.
i made a mini recirculating sluice, using a 1x4x6 board and some 1x3x6 and some deep V ribbed matting..... i use a 500gph bilge pump to recirculate the water in a big tub. first i classify my material down to 12 mesh, then run it over the sluice in small amounts so that i dont clog up the ribs. then, when im ready to clean up, i spray it out onto a 30 screen, and put my -30 to the side, and pan the +30. i repeat the process until i have a third of a five gallon bucket of concentrates, which i then run back over the sluice to eliminate most of the black sand. then i use the blue bowl from DAM industries to recover the fines and flake.
you will find that panning the +30 concentrates a LOT easier than panning!!!
i hope this helps! btw, the whole thing cost under $30! now if only i had a small trommel, or plans to make a small portable trommel, maybe something with a six inch tube on it? any ideas?
thank you!

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio

Wonderful ideas and tips so far .. keep them comming cause i am rure there are newbies such as me out there looking for guidence.

If you are just starting and have not found any color yet Keep going .. cause i almost quit on an area that actually is doing quite well. No short cut to success but working smart does not hurt .. hehe.

I took digital pics of the creek i work when the water was high and low and i am gonna cross compare them when the weather gets really cold to make a plan of attack this spring.

Happy hunting and gold is where you find it.

Axgar

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio

snuffer bottles...

when i got into this i was not sure what to expect so i did not get a kit with a pan, snuffer, and video ... i just went and bought a pan online. hoping to eliminate the overhead cost. Not really expecting to find to much gold here in Ohio. well if you are like me El CheapO i have a simple solution for a snuffer bottle.

Go to wally land ( Walmart ) and get some childrens fever reducer with a eye dropper .. empty out the medicine and Wha La .. a snuffer .. for the fine flakes it sucks them up real good and it is good for friends or kids that want to come along for the day to help out or search on thier own. It is small and compact and works great for me.

Hope it helps and happy hunting.

Axgar

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005

The suction thing is great for fine gold, but if you get into an area where there are chunkier pieces the syringe bulb won't have a large enough opening.

you might want to get a clear squirt bottle like the ones they have for ketchup in cafes..

Snuffer bottles are available online at several places, I prefer Tom Sanders (Gold Dredge Hog).. Tom is one of us.
http://www.golddredgehog.com/catalog.shtml

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio

Just wanted to kleep this thread alive...

so here is a tip. Read as much as you can about your style of gold hunting and Talk to the old timers because they have already done it mostlikely.

thanks

Axgar

Willy

Here's a little tip. Turns out that most bulb style suction devices & snuffer bottles simply ...SUCK! They generally don't have enough suction to pick any reasonably sized gold. Well, I've got a solution to that little problem. First, get some clear lexan tubing. They sell it for beer/winemaking & usually have a bend near the end. The second is a bit embarrassing so some background. I was visiting my parents one day and was looking for TP in the guest bathroom. Well, lo & behold, guess what I saw. If you said ENEMA BULB, you got 'er in one. Turns out my sis left it there when she moved out. As soon as I saw that gorgeous puppy the lightbulb (actually, it's an LED.. uses 80% less power) went on in my head & I thought GOLD SNIFFER BULB!! All one has to do is to cut a 10" or so length of the lexan tube, chamfer & smooth the end, & insert it almost all the way into the bulb. The one I have isn't the jumbo sized colon blaster bulb but hey, it was free. It also has incredible suction & will pull up nuggets near to 1/4". Pretty good , eh? ..Willy.

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio

well i must say you have seen the light at the end of that dark tunnel... (( bad joke i know ))

but that is a great idea and thank you ...

Keep the tips and i deas on the way. None are to simple or obvious to us newbies.

thanks

Axgar

B

brz

Before I got a dredge, I bought a syringe type of super soaker. The tube was about 1 inch by 16 inches long, and drilled a larger hole in the end of it so I could suck out from the bottom cracks and crevices and squirt out into my pan. and it also works great for washing out crevices into my pan or my tarp. works great! Brian

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio

well the weather finally warmed up some so i went out and took some pics of my self made sluice box .. not to mention the lil bit of ohio gold i found with it ..

if you want i can get you a run down of what my costs were and what i used. just send me a message.

here is the link..

http://www.chameleons-blinds.com/bones.htm

thanks Axgar

Jan 4, 2006

Hey,
Here's a better idea Willy, just visit www.gldtube.com, I think you'll find a crevicing tool that will get any gold thats in the bedrock, it's foolproof, and it fit's in your pocket 8)

fanatic

Feb 4, 2005

one advantage of using a "real" snuffer bottle is that the tube extends up where your water level doesn't allow any gold to escape.

No matter how you intend to clean up - panning, mini sluice, blue bowl, or my favorite - the Keene Green Bowl, classify, classify, classify! I take my cons down to -12 and -20. I pan the -12 and green bowl the -20. Then I screen the overs again to -30 and green bowl them again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread