San Gabriel River
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jun 2007
    Arizona
    Amigo II/Diablo uMax/Sidewinder
    4 times

San Gabriel River

I'm heading to Oceanside for a few day as was thinking of driving up to the San Gabriel River for a day. Is it worth it this time of year? Is there a public place on the East Fork that I sluice without getting in anyones ones way?
    Me
    Diablo uMax/Sidewinder/Amigo II
    -------------------------

us
    Sep 2007
    So. Cali
    Well,.Sometimes ?
    120 times

Re: San Gabriel River

Desert Rat , the San Gabriel is a petty river , although it's been trashed for year's now . The gold , well you could find a few dot's with a few hr's work ,... but you never know till you try ? I'd say if you ever have found gold before , it's not "worth it " . There is plenty of river open to the public .

Sincerely Blindpig

us
    Sep 2004
    Kingman AZ
    44 times

I was there years ago and you had to pay to park .
    TOM
    KINGMAN LODGE #22 F&AM KINGMAN, ARIZONA
    NRA
    LDMA
    U.S. PARATROOPER

us
    Diggin It All

Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones Lesche
    113 times
    Metal Detecting

Yes, theres a section that all the prospectors congregate at. Theres also a campground right across the road from the river.
    If you dont want to prospect there you can drive all the way to the end of the east fork and park, theres a small parking lot, and then hike up the canyon. You do have to have a forest adventure pass to park anywhere on national forest land, except private property and a few other designated areas.

us
    Jun 2007
    Arizona
    Amigo II/Diablo uMax/Sidewinder
    4 times

Thanks for all the information. I was just wondering if its worth the 2 hour driver from Oceanside to show a friend what I do in my free time and find a little color. I work Lynx Creek here in Arizona a lot. Only find flower and a small flakes every now and then. But its worth the hour drive from Phoenix for me. Just to get away and dig in the dirt.

Me
    Diablo uMax/Sidewinder/Amigo II
    -------------------------

us
    Diggin It All

Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones Lesche
    113 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Rat
    Thanks for all the information. I was just wondering if its worth the 2 hour driver from Oceanside to show a friend what I do in my free time and find a little color. I work Lynx Creek here in Arizona a lot. Only find flower and a small flakes every now and then. But its worth the hour drive from Phoenix for me. Just to get away and dig in the dirt.
    Do not go on a weekend, especially in the summer, It is packed with people swimming in the river and theres an offroad park right at the east fork bridge that is always full of people.
    I cant say if its worth it or not, but If you do go, go on a weekday and make sure to have a forest adventure pass.

us
    Sep 2004
    Kingman AZ
    44 times

Back when I lived there the Adventure Pass was a big scam . The revenue from the Pass was used to pay people to go around and make sure you had the Pass .
    TOM
    NRA
    LDMA
    U.S. PARATROOPER

us
    Diggin It All

Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    113 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper
    Back when I lived there the Adventure Pass was a big scam . The revenue from the Pass was used to pay people to go around and make sure you had the Pass .
    Having to pay for access to land that belongs to the people is a scam in itself, unfortunately if we dont obey we get fined,
    So much for the constitution and freedom.

Its to bad that most americans are brainwashed robots that pay more attention to their favorite Hollywood entertainer than Washington politicians who have power over theyre lives...........

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4801 times

you dont need to pay for this pass if your prospecting! and they cant make you pay for it! thankyou 1872 mining laws!

us
    Diggin It All

Nov 2005
    So. Cal.
    113 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by russau
    you dont need to pay for this pass if your prospecting! and they cant make you pay for it! thankyou 1872 mining laws!
    What mining law says that you dont have to pay to park?

Apr 2006
    Los Angeles
    Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
    56 times

The "Adventure Pass" is not a parking pass. Actually it is a pass to recreate in the National Forest.
    If you are parked then the assumption is that you are there for recreation. If you have a mining
    claim and are working the claim or doing any other work then technically you are working, not
    recreating and don't need a pass. This the position of the "PLP" (Public Lands for the People)
    and they have an attorney that works on such issues. Mining companies in the National Forest
    don't buy an Adventure Pass for instance.
    The Adventure pass is $5 a day or $35 a year and they are sold and Forest Stations and during
    the weekend they used to have them available at the entrance to the San Gabriel Canyon, I
    haven't checked this year. So you can pay for the pass or make an argument to the judge.
    One detectorist I talked to claims the ticket issued is not a ticket, just a notice of no pass with
    no teeth. I don't know, never got one.
    Anyhow for $5 take a run up there and find a little color.
    Rich

us
    Sep 2004
    Kingman AZ
    44 times

In what court EXACTLY would this judge be found ? It is my understanding that you are to mail the fine in with NO hope of arguing the merits of the case or lack therof .
    TOM
    NRA
    LDMA
    U.S. PARATROOPER

Apr 2006
    Los Angeles
    Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
    56 times

Well the tickets are issued by the National Forest Rangers, like I said I never got one.
    I buy a yearly pass, don't want the Rangers looking over my vehicle and my equipment
    so I pay for the damn thing. I have the same frustration level as you do, I was just
    adding some info the subject. One other piece of info, you are supposed to hang it
    from the rear view mirror, gives them a chance to look in your vehicle at the same time.
    Constitutional rights are disappearing.
    Rich

Sponsored Links