Detector(s) used
Amigo II/Diablo uMax/Sidewinder
Upvote 0

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Desert Rat , the San Gabriel is a petty river , although it's been trashed for year's now . The gold , well you could find a few dot's with a few hr's work ,... but you never know till you try ? I'd say if you ever have found gold before , it's not "worth it " . There is plenty of river open to the public .

Sincerely Blindpig

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, theres a section that all the prospectors congregate at. Theres also a campground right across the road from the river.
If you dont want to prospect there you can drive all the way to the end of the east fork and park, theres a small parking lot, and then hike up the canyon. You do have to have a forest adventure pass to park anywhere on national forest land, except private property and a few other designated areas.

OP
OP
Desert_Rat

Desert_Rat

Jun 11, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Amigo II/Diablo uMax/Sidewinder
Thanks for all the information. I was just wondering if its worth the 2 hour driver from Oceanside to show a friend what I do in my free time and find a little color. I work Lynx Creek here in Arizona a lot. Only find flower and a small flakes every now and then. But its worth the hour drive from Phoenix for me. Just to get away and dig in the dirt.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Desert_Rat said:
Thanks for all the information. I was just wondering if its worth the 2 hour driver from Oceanside to show a friend what I do in my free time and find a little color. I work Lynx Creek here in Arizona a lot. Only find flower and a small flakes every now and then. But its worth the hour drive from Phoenix for me. Just to get away and dig in the dirt.

Do not go on a weekend, especially in the summer, It is packed with people swimming in the river and theres an offroad park right at the east fork bridge that is always full of people.
I cant say if its worth it or not, but If you do go, go on a weekday and make sure to have a forest adventure pass.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Back when I lived there the Adventure Pass was a big scam . The revenue from the Pass was used to pay people to go around and make sure you had the Pass .

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
paratrooper said:
Back when I lived there the Adventure Pass was a big scam . The revenue from the Pass was used to pay people to go around and make sure you had the Pass .

Having to pay for access to land that belongs to the people is a scam in itself, unfortunately if we dont obey we get fined,
So much for the constitution and freedom.

Its to bad that most americans are brainwashed robots that pay more attention to their favorite Hollywood entertainer than Washington politicians who have power over theyre lives...........

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
russau said:
you dont need to pay for this pass if your prospecting! and they cant make you pay for it! thankyou 1872 mining laws!

What mining law says that you dont have to pay to park?

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
The "Adventure Pass" is not a parking pass. Actually it is a pass to recreate in the National Forest.
If you are parked then the assumption is that you are there for recreation. If you have a mining
claim and are working the claim or doing any other work then technically you are working, not
recreating and don't need a pass. This the position of the "PLP" (Public Lands for the People)
and they have an attorney that works on such issues. Mining companies in the National Forest
don't buy an Adventure Pass for instance.
The Adventure pass is $5 a day or $35 a year and they are sold and Forest Stations and during
the weekend they used to have them available at the entrance to the San Gabriel Canyon, I
haven't checked this year. So you can pay for the pass or make an argument to the judge.
One detectorist I talked to claims the ticket issued is not a ticket, just a notice of no pass with
no teeth. I don't know, never got one.
Anyhow for $5 take a run up there and find a little color.
Rich

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
In what court EXACTLY would this judge be found ? It is my understanding that you are to mail the fine in with NO hope of arguing the merits of the case or lack therof .

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Well the tickets are issued by the National Forest Rangers, like I said I never got one.
I buy a yearly pass, don't want the Rangers looking over my vehicle and my equipment
so I pay for the damn thing. I have the same frustration level as you do, I was just
adding some info the subject. One other piece of info, you are supposed to hang it
from the rear view mirror, gives them a chance to look in your vehicle at the same time.
Constitutional rights are disappearing.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread