Homemade 2 1/2 inch gold dredge...

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I just completed my homemade 2 1/2 inch dredge. I floated it in the lake to find out what the displacement was and it was almost perfect. The front was about 5 to 10 lbs light but with the water in the sluice, it should weight the front end down some. If not, I will have to add some weight to the front (the neat thing is that you just add some water balast to the front tanks). Other than that, it was perfect and the front of the sluice was about 4 inches above the water.

Attachments

• 1dredge.jpg
    1dredge.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 8,779
  • 2dredge.jpg
    2dredge.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 17,960
  • 3dredge.jpg
    3dredge.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 7,021
  • 4dredge.jpg
    4dredge.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 19,183
Upvote 0

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks great! Good job! Did you get any gold??

It shouldn't take you long to get things balanced out. That is one advantage of buying a commercially made dredge, but I'm sure your savings of making your own is more than worth the efforts for balancing your floataion!

Show us the gold!

Good luck,

Lookin

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
I used my old Keene Sluice, that is about 25 years old, and made the dredge and high banker around it. The frame on the dredge is all aluminum exept for the venturi (prolinemining) and the flair, that my millwright made from steel. The floats are 4 pepsi dispensers so that one can balance the dredge by adding water to one or more of the floats. I have the 1 1/4 hose and the 2 1/2 inch hose ordered and I also had my millwright make a nozzle for me too out of steel with a handle on it. Proline wanted $75 just for that! I am heade west in a few weeks and want to be prepared. I lost most of my mining stuff including a beach box when I went bust on a large nightclub in Iowa years ago.....jim

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Congrats!

You saved a whole bundle of money over a prefab rig!

Good luck on your venture.
rmptr

NewbieOne

Greenie
May 23, 2007
Looking good James!

I wish I knew how to weld aluminum like you. I am going to bring mine in to a shop and have the corners and other stress points welded before dredge season because I can only put so much faith in pop rivets. I like the fact that you made the frame out of box aluminum so that back shelf sits above the barrels. I used angle metal on my sides so the barrels fit real tight, but they stick up above the frame making it harder to attach a shelf for the misc gear. Looks like you have a ton of space back there. I was going to do something similar and then attach some angle aluminum at the edges so I could throw small nuts and bolts back there if needed without worrying about them falling off, but I found out that my panning tub fits in between my frame in the back just right.

I also like the way you made those brackets so your sluice sits low on the frame. My buddy and I did a test last week to see how much small gold we are losing. I have my unbacked miners moss and green miners carpet under to catch the fines that sink though the moss. I used the stock riffles and took out the expanded metal because it would not fit. Eventually I will have ribbed v-matting under the moss and then I will do tests with and without the expanded metal. We rigged up another A52 to the end with a more shallow slope and the stock riffles, carpet and no expanded metal. I would guess that we ran maybe 15-20 3/4 filled 5 gallon buckets through for the test. When we did cleanup I noticed that the second sluice caught a whole bunch of black sand and a lot more garnets than the first sluice. I don't know if it was from less slope, the different material, or another factor. We panned out the concentrates and found only 4-5 small pieces of flour gold in the second sluice with 90-95% in the top box. I'm sure we lost some micron gold out the back, but from the test I think very little gold was lost. We are in an area that has much more flour gold than nuggets and we want to retain the 5-10% that wants to exit so we are going to attach a second sluice and your underslung design is how we will mount it. We'll lose the space in the back for the panning tub/storage tray, but I think we will have the tailing's end in the water so the tub can move to the front space where the sluice was when it was on top.

I found this awesome material that I put in the flair of my A52 that catches most of the larger flake gold before it even hits the riffles. It's some kind of conveyor belt material that has 1/8" deep pockets all over the place. Here is a picture:

P4040019.jpg

P4040020.jpg

P4040021.jpg

Did you fabricate that jet log, jet flair, and flap? If so...nice work! With my limited metal working ability I would not even attempt that.

Do you know what the final dimensions of your frame is? Mine is 42"x64".

Keep me posted.

-Kevin

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Great idea. Kevin, on the rubber mat (belt) material. I was lucky here because I have a millwright shop close to me. Many years ago, I worked as a UAW electrician for Fords and Chrysler and found it easy to work with millwrights. These guys, that normally worked for the local Lumber Mills, before they shut down because of this recession, found it easy to work with a UAW electrician. I laid out what I wanted and together, we built the thing. They normally work with steel so they were not equipped to work with aluminum. Bret use a wire feeder to weld the aluminum. They did not have heliarc equipment. He also fabricated the flair, based on the model that I made from cardboard. He did the same when I made a model of what I wanted for the Highbanker. I bet you have a ton of millwright that are idle in WA. I will be out your way come summer. I have a yahoo group, goldhunting. Perhaps we could hook up come summer to get that gold....gold...gold....I can here it calling me...come and get me...come and get me......jim

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
nice looking rig.
just one observation, you might want to put an extra strap around your floats.
the way it's setup, if you hit a rock or log or something, it looks like it could twist in the frame
jmo

Sniffer

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
No...it is blocked in as of tomorrow am. I am going to install slats so that only one strap will be needed and that can be loose....jim

NewbieOne

Greenie
May 23, 2007
arizonaames said:
Perhaps we could hook up come summer to get that gold....gold...gold

I'd be up for that. I'll try to see if my source has any more of that belting material and pick up some extra. You have my e-mail address so just hit me up as it gets closer to your visit and we'll hash it out. I know of a place with relativly easy access that I'm told has some nice pickers.

-Kevin

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
then I stand corrected. looks like a nice rig. how far do you usually move it to use it?

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
It cannot twist...it could just move backward but now with the slats to stop that, it is now secure. I also just had a 12 by 18 inch 1/4 inch diamond plate added 1 inch high on both sides of the front. That should take care of the displacement problem and give me a seat to fish off of. If I change the displacement in the future by adding a compressor or different pump and motor, I can add lead weight to the 2 platforms, that I added, if needed. This dredge is a lot more versatile than a prefab proline or Keen dredge. One has a place to put stuff on it or hang stuff from it and it has a proline venturi and a Keene (old one) sluice. :tongue3:.... :thumbsup:

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Thats a good looking dredge Ames. I just got here, this is a great forum. I plan on making myself
a dredge soon, just wanted to say thanks for sharing that. Big thumbs up. :thumbsup:

lion one

Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic barrel size

I just completed my homemade 2 1/2 inch dredge. I floated it in the lake to find out what the displacement was and it was almost perfect. The front was about 5 to 10 lbs light but with the water in the sluice, it should weight the front end down some. If not, I will have to add some weight to the front (the neat thing is that you just add some water balast to the front tanks). Other than that, it was perfect and the front of the sluice was about 4 inches above the water.

I would like to know the size of the plastic barrels that you used to make your dredge. They seem to be 20 gallon size . I will be going the same root and make my own . Thank you for your help

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I thought "man that dredge looks familiar!". Then I realized why. I saw it 4 yrs ago when this thread was new! Still a slick looking unit!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know the size of the plastic barrels that you used to make your dredge. They seem to be 20 gallon size . I will be going the same root and make my own . Thank you for your help

He used 15's way bigger than needed. 5's work fine

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barrels work just fine be it 2 1/2"-8" Many sizes,colors and configurations. I use the same frame for my 4"-5. Just 4 barrels for creeks and 6 for raging rivers and dual engine 5" all the time. 6" dual engine dredge, needs 6 Barrels also-John.

Attachments

• Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    Big Red Toy 001.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_0371.jpg
    100_0371.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_2203.jpg
    100_2203.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 2,799

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread