A Few Ideas About Sluices

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
A Few Idea's About Sluices

Well ,I’ve been thinking about posting some of my ideas here on sluicing , not really the “right” way or about the no-no’s , more about things I’ve made that might help in just setting up your sluice . Each person will have there own preference on where to “set” there sluice , some for water velocity , others closer to the gravel they wish to work , or others may chose a spot , just because there’s afternoon shade ? Rarely will you find a “perfect” spot . Even in the most perfect spot you will need to move a few rocks , build a wing dam ,etc .. Now I’m sure many here have had there sluice “set” well ,... ‘till the water blows out to one side or beneath the sluice . Now you can use a few sand bags , I found they work well . Years ago , I took a damn O’ board and cut a long notch in it to ,so I could set my sluice “in” it , with the sand bags , setting the sluice was getting easier . I still had a bit of trouble with my material in the sluice riding to one side or the other , so the damn O’ board “evolved” into a two board adjustable dam board ,.... the skirt soon followed ,.. Make’n it the “Skerted Adjustable Dam Board” or SADB !

DSC02196.jpgrs.jpg

In these Pic. You can see a properly deployed SADB , a damn ‘O board in front , and a few early proto- type classifying devises , a Creek-shovel and a “flow -gate “ on the front of the flare of the sluice .

The Flow-gate , isn’t used all that often , has saved me a few times when the water flow in the creek wasn’t adequate to run my sluice , I could close the gate let the water build then run the sluice .

DSC02194.jpgrs.jpg

Flow-gate ; inside detail

DSC02189.jpgrs.jpg

Now , classifying could become a topic on it’s own , the screens and things in the pic,s work , ..but I believe could be better . Show us what you have ?

DSC02207.jpgrs.jpg

In this Pic , I’d like to point out how I like set my miners moss and expanded metal , moss about ½ in. In front of first riffle and the expanded metal 1 in. More , it will hold a lot of your pickers . Also this pic shows my riffles I made , deeper then the factory one’s , better ? I like ‘em

DSC02202.jpgrs.jpg

It’s late , need to hit the sack , maybe post more pic’s tomorrow , Blindpig

Upvote 0

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Re: A Few Idea's About Sluices

Some great ideas for classifiers for pre-sluicing! :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

looks like a nice setup. are those prototype screens?
I'm just asking, because if you have to transport it very far, it's going to be real heavy when the water soaks into the wood

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like it!!Is the screen removable to dump rocks?Great idea!I judge my water speed and angle by how quickly the blacksands leave the "intake",they should kind of drift and be the last thing that goes over the ribbed matt...slow.

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Arizonaames , thanks as I said in your post ,"I do enjoy plugg'n away in my shop , nutt'n like take'n a good idea ,... a wee to far ! And for that matter ,. a bad idea is just an idea that needs some attention ,... or does that work only with kids ??
Sniffer , yeah the prototype screens seem to work , but usally can be better ,. so they seem to never get painted ,. why that would mean I'm done ,... rarely do I ever finish an idea ?? I don't believe I've ever had mutch problem with water-logged Prototypes ,.. that could be ,becouse I usally leave them up on the creeks , for later use .

DSC02215.jpgrsc.jpg

Bagged -up and ready to go , the large screen [pic just below flow-gate ] and the SADB devise

The trasport of gear , why a great subject for yet another post !! I do have a few,... ideas & prototypes ,... hmmm .

DSC02190.jpgrs.jpg

Yeah ,.. thats right , it's a poop-tube sluice ,... may loose all [not mutch ] creditablity here with this one !! Anyway made it for "sampling" , you can just about throw it into the creek and find some AU . Anyway ,.. it's not like I've made a dredge , using a poop-tube , .. why that would be plain O' nuts ;D or just maybe ....
Anyway there you go , Blindpig

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So.............is the screen removable????Did you miss my post? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Hay Kuger , Yes I did miss your post ,as I was writing then type'n [ I'm very slow at this] my repost . And yes the screen on that classifyer is removable , the idea is to slide it to one side or the other and get one hand under [no wire or nails] slide it into other hand and give 'em a bit of a toss . As you know tailings can start to build-up and become a bit problematic . And did you see the "T" handle to control the feed ? I'll try to get some more pic's of it and throw them up here in the next day or two ?
Sooo,.... Kuger what ya make of that nutty poop-tube sluice ??
Thanks , Blindpig

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just razzin' ya Pig.....felt left out! ;D Good idea,thats the key,move as much material as possible through.I too use a "poop chute",for con cleanup.....love it! :thumbsup:

kiwi jw

May 8, 2006

G'day Blindpig, Nice set up. What spacings do you have between the riffles, How high are they & what angle is the face of your riffle?? Looks to be 45 degree. Is there a formular to riffle spacing relevant to height??

Many thanks & happy golding

Regards

Kiwi JW

deathray

Greenie
Mar 8, 2009

Very nice, I may have to steel some of your ideas.Just curious, is the skirt single ply roofing membrane?(I'm a roofer, so that caught my eye).Good luck-Ray

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Hay Deathray , I used pond-liner ,becouse I had it. Now , I don't know a thing about roofing membrane , other that I've seen some gray ruber like stuff on some roofs as I build my chimney's [I'm a mason], I think that stuff would work ? And if it doesn't try som'n else the next time ? Hell , 6 mil will work ,... once anyway . ;D
good luck , Blindpig

deathray

Greenie
Mar 8, 2009

Yep, its single ply then. they sell it as pond liner material.Anyways, real nice job on your sluice, great pics too.Thanks for sharing-Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread