Detecting/Panning in Utah

2fishon

Jul 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
You can pan anywhere in Utah. You can't use a sluice or dredge without a permit though. I beleive the state parks have some rule about metal detecting, but I haven't heard of them enforcing it though. Most of them are happy to have someone picking up trash.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks 2fishon,
I just wanted to try it out as a recreational activity. We're going to Lake Powell to "Get Away From It All!" Do some fishing, swimming and boating. I thought bringing my metal detector along and trying some panning for gold would be fun too.
Aquanut

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
There is an area north of Lake Powell that has some places that are open to the public for panning. South of the town of Hanksville about 20 miles or so. Know as the Crescent Creek area. As in many areas of Utah late summer has no guarantee of water in the smaller creeks and rivers. This area records some of the hottest temps in the state make sure you have plenty of drinking water! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Thanks jagdpanther,
I Googled Crescent Creek and it won't work for me... My knee is so bad that two doctors said the only way to fix it is a complete knee replacement. I was hoping to access an area off lake Powell where I could take the boat to and walk no more than a short distance.
Aquanut

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lake Powel is off limits for metal detectlng.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions