Sluice Setup and Expanded Metal

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
Playing around with sluice designs (again). I have seen different configurations for expanded over carpet or M-moss. Some have the larger expanded at the feed end and smaller at the discharge end. Others are vice-versa. I have always thought that having a slick plate area or an area with ribbed rubber at the input end followed by larger expanded working down to smaller (even lath size) over ribbed carpet was the better type setup for fine gold recovery. What are your thoughts, ideas or experience?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Jaydpanther , I hear ya , Many ways to set up your sluice for sure !! Many seem to like the ribbed rubber and/or expanded metal in there flare /input . I've tryed it a few times while high-banking , had a piece of "WELCOME" mat under the header-box ,.. it held alot of AU . I did have about 10 in. of "slick-plate" before my first riffle . But I must say I do like just letting the riffles do there job .
I like to use the small lath type expanded-metal, it has a nice "twist" on it , that makes for a good micro-riffle , I've also found some at a salvage yard a bit larger that has the same "lip"or twist to it . I supose ,. in the end it all works , but it's good for us to try new things ,... then go back to are old ways !! ;D
Blindpig

OP
OP
Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther

Jun 22, 2005
The Edge
So, I'm thinking, if I know I'm working an area that has only flour gold do I really need to go with a graduated setup of expanded metal? If I were to use just 1/4" or even metal lath the full length of my sluice I should increase my recovery of gold while all of the larger stuff just runs through. Maybe I'm not thinking with the right side my brain here! :icon_scratch: Any ideas?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,First off,you are going to lose really small gold no matter what you do,BUT you can cut that down significantly.Water flow speed effects ability to hold small gold as well.In my sluices I have at the intake end,smmoth metal to ribbed matt,to ribbed carpet under miners moss under,expanded metal under the riffle frame,basically the same set up on my dredges.It sounds like a lot under your riffles but its not, they compress once the frame is locked down.Then the smaller stuff is able to filter down and out of the current and bigger cobbles and such.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread