Missouri/Ozark gold?

OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Thanks, but what I suppose my real question is; should I expect to get 3 or 4 specks out of a days work? Is there any gold bigger than that?

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
not to sure one what you might find in MO .. but i find 10 -20 specks as you say in about 3-4 hours worth of sluicing by myself.

but those specks add up .. it is the pleasure of finding it and the hunt so to speak that keeps me going out there. In Ohio that is.

Best of luck

Axgar

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
in missouri it all depends on your prospecting skills! its all glacial drift gold. in northern missouri ive found lots of fines and small peices big enough to pick up but not what would be called a picker.youve got to do your home work and study where the glacial drift was and then work down stream of it in the creeks! best bet for the bigger peices is to look down the middel of the creek. it seems the fines blow out to the sides.

RetRmy

Apr 17, 2007
Im also in Missouri, but the extreme southwestern corner. about 2 miles from the oklahoma, arkansas, missouri cornerstone. what part of oklahoma were you at Stonebrook 56?
In the articles I have read, most of the mentionable gold is north of the missouri river. We are about 2 hours (more or less) from Branson and the ozarks, I have heard that there is good stuff there.
Would be glad to share info with anyone else in Mo.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
RetRmy said:
Im also in Missouri, but the extreme southwestern corner. about 2 miles from the oklahoma, arkansas, missouri cornerstone. what part of oklahoma were you at Stonebrook 56?
In the articles I have read, most of the mentionable gold is north of the missouri river. We are about 2 hours (more or less) from Branson and the ozarks, I have heard that there is good stuff there.
I was down on the Kiamichi River.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RetRmy said:

I would be glad to know any info you know on prospecting here in Missouri. I'm here in Springfield... and I've wondered often about being able to pan for gold here in some of the creeks. I've found some spots that really looked promising, though I know this state isn't known for it's gold. lol Guess the next step would to just give up and get some pans and just try...

Bran <><

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
most of the land in Missouri is privatly owned, so the owners permission is required! like they said, a general rule for placer drift gold is north of the Missouri river. but get a map showing the glacial drift limits in the midwest and go from there. Chuck Lassiter has a book out on the glacial drift for the midwest. hes over on www.midwestprospector.com and he has a lot of info on his site aswell as info on his book and a video on dredgeing in the midwest also.good luck!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
most of the land in Missouri is privatly owned, so the owners permission is required!

But it's alright to pan (not dredge) in a State Forest area, correct?

Bran <><

Fyurstarter

Feb 27, 2015
Northeast Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fellow Missourians,
I'm new to prospecting and I'm trying to dig up information on prospecting in Missouri. I've heard a lot about the Chariton river valley, but haven't heard of anyone prospecting further south.
I'd really love to know if anyone has found any gold around Central MO/Northeast Missouri near the Salt River, Missouri River, or the MIssissippi and what kind of minerals you're seeing in the area where you've found anything.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Gold has been found in the Mississippi R. and the Missouri R. and the northern section of the state. Im currently looking for access into the streams / rivers up in the N/E part of the state. particularly the Wyconda River in Lewis - Clark countys . I know you have to dig / dredge deep to find anything worthwhile and im ready to try. I have a 4 inch dredge just itching to get in there.

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the land in Missouri is privatly owned, so the owners permission is required! like they said, a general rule for placer drift gold is north of the Missouri river. but get a map showing the glacial drift limits in the midwest and go from there. Chuck Lassiter has a book out on the glacial drift for the midwest. hes over on Midwest Prospector and he has a lot of info on his site aswell as info on his book and a video on dredgeing in the midwest also.good luck!

Russau is right, chuck's book is a must read. it help my learning curve in ohio.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread