Lost Gold Mine

john12

Greenie
Dec 21, 2005
I found a reference to a lost mine in Washington State. "The Lost Swank Creek Gold Mine is in the area of Ostrander off US 5". I have never seen anything in writing about this lost mine. I have been trying to find out more infomation, but come up with nothing. I did find Ostrander, but did not find a Swank Creek in the area of Ostrander.
In the directory of lost mine's there is mention of a "Landside" lost mine on Ostrander Creek in Garfield County, However Ostrander Creek is in Cowlitz County. Does anyone have a other reference to this lost mine or where I might get more information.
Thanks john

Upvote 0

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey John…..Been there, done that….In the old days names of places changed by who was there at the time…..46 12.391N 122 52.394W…Do some research on this area and see what you can find out..Art

OP
OP
J

john12

Greenie
Dec 21, 2005
Thanks Al
I have been looking in that area. All the maps that I have viewed don't show a Swank Creek. I went to the library and looked at old maps without any luck. The coordinates you gave me are just north of Ostrander Creek and the terrain look like there might be a creek there. Is that what you are try to tell me.
Thanks john

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey John….The old timers would follow the gold up a creek until they found none. Then they would follow the float up the mountain. The gold comes down the mountain in an upside down V pattern. I dowsed the area and that area is the only place I received a gold signal….Art

OP
OP
J

john12

Greenie
Dec 21, 2005
Thanks Art. I thank you for your efforts. I suspected that you might have dowsed the area. This area was not a major gold producer, however a few colors have been found in the local streams. I will check it out.
John

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
aarthrj3811 said:
Hey John….The old timers would follow the gold up a creek until they found none. Then they would follow the float up the mountain. The gold comes down the mountain in an upside down V pattern. I dowsed the area and that area is the only place I received a gold signal….Art
Gold signals are great, but until it is in your pan, the signals really don't matter all that much. Where is the gold??? Get it into your pan/crusher/et al!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread