how to set up my sluice>>???

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
I have been reading several sites on how to set up the angle and speed of the material i send through my sluice.

after seeing all the pictures and reading the examples, i have concluded that they are working with MUCH faster water than i am.

the stream i work is rather lazy .. it has a few fast spots . but not where i am working or if so it is DEEP like 3+ foot. and the shallows are rather slow like snail slow.. I have mounted legs on my sluice to move to faster water which is about 1 foot deep but this is more trouble than it is worth .. because the current either moves the whole sluice box or sucks it down to teh bottom and does not make the ripples i need. It is just a flat out a pain.

i have tried damning it up but i must not have a good idea of what the damn should look like cause it does not seem to work at all .. the water just flows around instead of over and into my sluice. .. and then if any kind of rain comes along POOF there goes teh damn dam ..hehe ..but seriously .. i really need some ideas on what to do here.. cause as it is now .. it is easier to just pour water through the sluice while it is on the bank with my legs set to the proper angle that i have mounted... that is a lot more work than i need for the amount of gold i am recovering.

Now i would concider a pump set up .. but the hike would require two trips .. each way .. and that is not a fun thought.

Any ideas thoughts concepts experiments pictures dreams on what i can do this spring would be wonderful.

I am gonna post some of the pictures of the stream on my web site and see what you all think i could do.

Thank you

Axgar

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
ok here is the creek pictures that i promised... and a new pick of the gold i have found this year .. with only 6 weeks of actual looking. not to bad for a green horn .. smile that i found any at all here in Ohio.

www.chameleons-blinds.com/bones.htm

thanks for the help.

Axgar

Attachments

• family  gold 006.jpg
    family gold 006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 372
OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
I am using a self made 4' by 12" wide flume and 18" mouth opening. the sides are 2.5 " high.

I guess i could dig it out of the snow and take a picture of it. I will tommorrow.

.. thanks

Axgar

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
The going rate is 1 inch of drop for every foot. If you don't have much water flow, you might need to take out the riffles and use carpet only. I have a 51 inch sluice and it takes a lot of water flow to work properly. When its working right It will have about 1/2 to 1 inch of carpet showing between the riffles. The sand will be dancing behind the riffles if your flow is right. If you can't get enough water flow to keep your sluice from loading up you will have to revert back to just panning, or use a rocker box.

T

tallpaul

very interesting this sluicing and panning,, id love to have a go of this,,, only we dont have gold areas here in britain,, gets me going when i see the gold in the pans,, love it...

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
thank you kindly for the idea of removing the riffles... i set it up that i can do that so that will work ...

I think i have the water flow but the water is deep where it is flowing faster ..

in the spring i am gonna make a better damn maybe out of some sand bags and gardening plastic .. to make the water work for me .. i have plenty of sand here cause the creek is quite sandy.

thank you .

Axgar

Attachments

• family  gold 006.jpg
    family gold 006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 325
  • family  gold 006.jpg
    family gold 006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 317

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Axgar....Water flow will always be a problem with hand sluices. I have saw people extend the flare by attaching alum. to the sides and they were happy. I made a two foot wide flare for a little A 51 sluice and it gather more water. I built a flare for a twenty foot long piece of 6 inch flex hose so I could use my hand sluice late one summer. So I guess what I am trying to say is if there is gold a miner will find a way to get it....Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread