Apr 15, 2009
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh yea black stuff? i find placer gold with dirty black mercury on it,and i have found galena, and silver deposits that started as black streaks, so a long time ago when these minerals were intoduced within these pockets as a hydrothermal mess they layed the foundation for an ugly treasure, remember most of the highest yielding goldmines have very little visible gold in their lodes.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
I am 74 yrs old and I have been mining and prospecting since I was 18, and I have never heard such a bunch of crap from people who knew nothing about gold or mining.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must not have heard cause no one wants to be around your close minded cranky a**. and im sure in your old times callin someone a liar entitled you to a ..... well, i guess times have changed.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
Don't know nuttin about your brothers, wusses, purple hearts, lawn tractors or even venna sauage or any other of your "old mans" complaints. Sounds like you must have had a lousy child hood. Sorry.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well duke,My mentor and lifetime miner is 76(all he has ever done is hardrock mine and is the king of "pocket" mining),and I am a seventh generation miner,Your opinion is appreciated though!!!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
black coating is manganese I believe

Attachments

• pkt_640x480.jpg
    pkt_640x480.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,079

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you for having a camera that works.....

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
kuger said:
Well duke,My mentor and lifetime miner is 76(all he has ever done is hardrock mine and is the king of "pocket" mining),and I am a seventh generation miner,Your opinion is appreciated though!!!
I didnt say the posts were all crap. I should have been more specific.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AUDuke said:
kuger said:
I didnt say the posts were all crap. I should have been more specific.
Thanks Duke,I share your opinion ocassionaly myself. :wink:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Hoser John said:
As soon as dredgn' season is done/get caught I'll have time to go through boxes/find and email info ifn' I ain't in the pokey :tongue3: -John
John let me know where to send the bail money or plan #2 i have a battery power saw and ill be there at midnight!

BBad

Greenie
Sep 9, 2009
pvillehunter said:
if you find quarts its a lode,if you find gold in it its a vein, if its eroded its eluvial no watercourse yet, when it hits the creek its aluvial placer, aluvium.thats your mini geology lesson for the day.. :icon_thumleft: :read2:

Slight clarification, if the quartz 'vein' intrudes another rock it is a vein. Gold in quartz (in bedrock) is Lode. Gold can be in quartz as a placer as in a stream cobble, yes, alluvial, more specifically fluvial. Alluvium doesn't neccessarily have to be water deposited, alluvial fans in the desert are dry talus slopes at the base of mountain ranges.

Eluvial implies wind erosion, as in dune sands.

No offense, just wanted the terms to be used correctly. It helps us all speak the same language and can talk to each other. I don't blame anyone, geology jargon is difficult. I have two geologic dictionaries, both heavily used.

Edit, more than likely the black staining is a manganese oxide coating, very common.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
all very true, and the possibilities are endless.in 1993 i found a very rich pocket of alluvial eroded pocket. actualy about 35 yards of slate and magnetite, and talcum powder sized gold, gold was very rough looking upon magnification,wasnt much quartz at all.that 35 yards of material seemed to have just slumped down to the back of a river bar.back then i was skimming the bars for flood gold.big highbankers.one afternoon while disgusted,walked over to the hillside and kicked a few rocks.could see heavy black sand mixed with bragsdon slate.country rock was shale w/old river placer.went and panned some.rest was history, my brother and i had a great week after that.and spent a month after, scouring that whole ridge and mountainside.nothing there.there was just that patch a pocket gold that sagged off the hillside.you just never know. best a luck.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
for every rule, there is an exception.used to try to explain that to my high school principal. anyway, most black gold i have seen usually tertiary channel gold, was stained somehow with manganese.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find that black(Stained) gold all time in certain places (Placer)

BBad

Greenie
Sep 9, 2009
Astrobouncer said:
Speaking of gossan stains, I do have a question about those. Do they stain the ground brown too or just the rock?

It is my understanding that the rock takes on a gossan form due to leaching, bacterial activity, ect... When the rock has reached that gossan type of degradation it deosn't take too much more to completely break it down into a soil like material so that there is a natural transition from solid rock-->gossan/highly wathered rock-->soil. Analagous to a saprolytic (saprolite) soil if you know the term. If you didn't before, now you do. Bust that one out in class.

beaks

Jul 8, 2008
texas
Detector(s) used
garrett 2500
i just call it what it is, GOLD! LOL

it doesnt matter if it looks like the sun or like a buzzard puked it up its still good ole yeller gold when it comes down to cashin in.

i dont care if it pops out of the ground like a turd and hollers howdy ho! i will pick it up and cooker down til shes purdy n bright, stare at it fer a good long time and then sell it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread