Panning Wheel

jamace

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2009
morganton north carolina
ok i have a Panning Wheel and i need help on how you set up and what you do from start to finsh ok i do the frist split and after that i do 20 30 50 screen and after that i use a magnet get all that out and i am getting more gold out of cons but not all the gold after i run the 20 i get it all i go back and test pan the 30 and 50 i dont get all of it it about 1/3 gose over the edge of the Wheel
how minnie times do i need to run my cons

post what you do from start to finish

i have had this Wheel about a year its is alot better then panning all my cons but i need to know how to fine tune it

Upvote 0

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
clean the wheel,chute,catch pan,tub, bucket,everything with simply green,then when setting up for a run,add 5 drops of jet dry,like for a dishwasher,rerun those same cons. if well screened, you should get most of it first pass.and you are recirculating right?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have one of the older wheels,they were better.I had one and sold it,I wish I hadnt.The edges on the spirals were sharper and I got much better results.I now use a newer one,and noticed the edges arent as sharp,and my recovery suffers.I have heard that the mold cost $55,000 and through time it has gotten worn,but he isnt going to get another mold.You must classify,I dont get carried away,just sand.I run everything 30 mesh minus through the Blue Bowl.I find that it does catch very small gold yet often times will find pin head size in the waste and for some reason certain size and shape gold just wont go up and through.I keep saying I am going to get another(sold that one too) big Spiral Panner.Adjust so your black sands will nearly go through the hole but dont about the second "rung",down.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamace said:
ok i have a Panning Wheel and i need help on how you set up and what you do from start to finsh ok i do the frist split and after that i do 20 30 50 screen and after that i use a magnet get all that out and i am getting more gold out of cons but not all the gold after i run the 20 i get it all i go back and test pan the 30 and 50 i dont get all of it it about 1/3 gose over the edge of the Wheel
how minnie times do i need to run my cons

post what you do from start to finish

i have had this Wheel about a year its is alot better then panning all my cons but i need to know how to fine tune it

Ok from start to finish.

First fine tune the wheel.
1. Start with the wheel at about a 50 degree angle and add 5-8 drops of jet dry to the water.
2. Turn on water and start wheel. (let run for a couple minutes to allow the jet dry to soften the water and lubricate the surface of the wheel)
3. Add a tablespoon of black sand to wheel.
4. Adj speed of wheel and angle of wheel until black sand comes to within half an inch of center hole. (keep adding black sand until properly adjusted) If black sand is coming up too high then increase angle or slow down wheel or increase water pressure.
5. Once adjusted add a BB into the wheel with the black sand, it should climb above the black sand and fall into the hole. If not then back off water pressure or lesson angle or speed up wheel until it does.
6. Next try a tiny piece of lead smaller than the BB. (shave a piece off a fishing sinker or else use a tiny piece of gold)
and add to wheel with a spoonful of black sand, it should climb up past the black sand and fall into the hole. if it doesn't make it past the black sand then speed up the wheel until it falls in but no black sand falls in.
7. Now run your concentrates a spoonful at a time don't overload the wheel by feeding it too fast. 1 scoop every 20 seconds.
8. Check your catch cup to see if it is collecting too much black sand. if it is then slow the wheel down or increase the wheel angle. It takes awhile to get it just right. You want hardly any black sand in your bottle, but you do want a tiny amount so that you know that you are getting all the gold.

Hope this helps,

Check out this detailed info from T-Net archive: http://www.treasurenet.com/forum/prospecting/messages/1013759.shtml

GG~

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1-All wheels are slightly different-whose wheel??
#2-ALWAYS lower your wheel to get all the black sands AND gold in the first pass--then raise up the angle to remove the gold
Using this method you have double classified your cons both by specific gravity and size for better results. There is no wheel on earth that recovers like a blue bowl so make sure to rerun. My buds Rich/Gary let me run 2 -55 gallon drums of waste and I got just under 5 ozs of talc size au. We had 3 different wheels in my store demo area and customers could run their cons through a dozen differing type concentrators to see what the reality of concentrators was-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
#1-All wheels are slightly different-whose wheel??
#2-ALWAYS lower your wheel to get all the black sands AND gold in the first pass--then raise up the angle to remove the gold
Using this method you have double classified your cons both by specific gravity and size for better results. There is no wheel on earth that recovers like a blue bowl so make sure to rerun. My buds Rich/Gary let me run 2 -55 gallon drums of waste and I got just under 5 ozs of talc size au. We had 3 different wheels in my store demo area and customers could run their cons through a dozen differing type concentrators to see what the reality of concentrators was-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Thanks John,
Based on your post, I am going to get a blue bowl ASAP!

Also does this older post by you need any tweaking? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,81784.msg598051.html#msg598051

Any other tips on using the blue bowl?

Thanks,
GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread