Journals, Records, winter time blues.

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
This being my first year sluicing for gold, i wonder what you do in the cold snowy winter months.

* do you keep a journal of your outings, GPS cordinates, BLM maps ect to pass down to family members and fellow gold hunters?

* what do you do with the gold you found this year? sell it keep it frame it .. stare longing into it trying to figure out where the next nugget might be.. hehehe

* watch reruns of gold prospector and gold fever tv .. (( which i do not get here Grrr ))

Ok i guess that is enough blabbering for a while ..

have a great day

Axgar

Upvote 0

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Avgar...This time of year I set in the garage with the heater running and a bottle of beer and proccess the black sand from the summer. When on the location I only take the easy gold and the rest goes home. I guess I should have kept a journal as names and places escape me now. I am already thinking about next summer. I am thinking about trips I am going to make to the high country this winter. I contribute a lot of my success to the fact that I go to the places I plan on working when they are flowing at high water. If the gold is going to move it will be during the high water. Places that you throught were an inside bent maybe straight or the outside bend. Look for low pressure places as that is where the gold will settle.Take photo's if you can and campare them to the low water....Do your homework....Art

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
thanks art..

I have taken some pictures of the stream behind my house that i work during semi high water.. i have them posted to my web site ...

http://www.chameleons-blinds.com/bones.htm if you care to take a look.
the year before we had a LOT of flooding .. major flooding and so i know the creek has moved gold around. it is a very sandy base and lost of rocks about the size of a soft ball or bigger.

I plan to test down further this spring where more rapids are, but how can i get teh sand gold and clay up with out it washing down the creek with the fster moving water. i dont have a dredge. i want one but it is not on the christmas list this year. nice 2 inch dredge would be grand.to own.

I got a late start with gold panning, and did not get that many concentrates .. went through them in about 4 hours ...

i plan to take home more concentrates this year and hit a few better spots in ohio as well. I was just tickled to find any gold in the stream behind the house to begin with.

this is my findings this year .. after i figured out where to look and what to look for.

Thanks again

Axgar

Attachments

• family  gold 006.jpg
    family gold 006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 229
  • family  gold 006.jpg
    family gold 006.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 222

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
I can't Dredge anymore but made my living for 20 years with a Dredge. I worked areas within 150 miles of Sacramento. Spend years on the forks of the American River. Behind a boulder or a rock outcropping and inside bends. Behind anything that slows the water. Even large rocks that are under water will catch some gold....The higher the water the more gold will move. If the storms are not big enough to move the gold it will still be in the same areas....You can do the same thing by standing in the water and imagining what it would look like with the water being 20 feet higher. I travel up there as it gives me something to do...Art

gold_mine

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2005
Southern California
Art. Thanks for sharing your gold experience with us. I think most of us are into prospectors are into it prospecting just because it give us something to do. What else are we going to do? Stay at home with are wifes..LOL :)

Have a great Christmas and a wonderful new year.

gold_mine

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
I must say .. this year when i got the gold bug .. I was working the creek and reading and learning and building and experimenting .. for the purpose of finding that lil bit o gold. ..

sad to say but teh NOW ex GF was neglected... i tried to get her down there to help but she siad the bug would eat her up.. cant argue that . oh well

well have a great holiday and merry christmas to all.

Thanks

Axgar

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
Yeahhh .. it almost made it to 50 today .. so i got out the shovel, buckets and pans and went to the creek for a lil fun. I wanted to get there sooner but it did not waqrm up fully so i lost some time there..

I was trying someting new... sniping on dry land where the flood waters go around the tree roots.. i did find four flakes so i guess i did something right no to mention that was about an hours and half worth of sifting and digging and panning .. for Ohio that was not to bad. not to metnion i was not sure if it was gonna work anyways .. Yippie.

anyways it helped with the winter time blues..

Axgar

OP
OP
A

Axgar

Sep 23, 2005
Columbus, ohio
hehe .. i was talking with my neighbor the other day .. and he still doubts what i have found is NOT gold but Fools gold .. so i have told him, put his money where my gold is..

here is the deal ... sounds good to me...

if it turns out that it really is gold .. he has to come down to the area where i am digging and dig the whole time for me... i figure i can get a good 12-14 buckets out of him ..

if it is NOT gold then ihave to chop wood for him on his next truck load...

I am sure i will be the winner here .. hehe ..

not to metnion the weather has been wonderfull here .. for january and febuary .. i got out 4 times last week and found over 40 flakes ...

with a little help i am sure i will find more .. HEHE ..guess i better get some more buckets so i can dig too .. double my efforts..

anyways .. hope every one is haveing a good winter like i am.

Axgar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread