Gold Prospecting in Arkansas

SynthetiX

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Arkansas
I've been having a heck of a time attempting to find location in Arkansas that are known to have at least a flake to find. The standard answer seems to be 12 Miles SW of Hot Springs, and "somewhere in the Ouachita National Forest". The GPAA has a claim "somewhere outside Mena". I've seen pics of gold found supposedly north of Little Rock, but of course exact locations were omitted. Anyone have any ideas? There used to be a guy named Jay that advertised paydirt in the GPAA magazine who lived in Mena that would give people maps of productive panning locations around the Mena area, but I've had no luck locating him. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SynthetiX

SynthetiX

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Arkansas
Found this today in Pike County.

Attachments

• DSC07092.JPG
    DSC07092.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 3,930
OP
OP
SynthetiX

SynthetiX

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Arkansas
Found this today in the middle of Howard County using a new 3 phase 12" blue keene pan.

Attachments

• DSC07274.JPG
    DSC07274.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 4,338
OP
OP
SynthetiX

SynthetiX

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Arkansas
Found a few specks of gold dust in Norman, AR. Found this little silver nug too.

Attachments

• DSC07355.JPG
    DSC07355.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 3,207

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you check the link i sent you?

OP
OP
SynthetiX

SynthetiX

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Arkansas
strickman said:
did you check the link i sent you?
I did. Unfortunately, there were only trace amounts found in some really strange locations, fairly distant from where people have reported finding gold. :( Still a really neat link, I sure do appreciate it!
Thanks again!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure the silver piece isnt gold covered with mercury. Are you finding bedrock and evidence of previous mining. Id look for the oldest town in the area maybe the reason its there is gold.Go wherever the history books say they mined.

jaculp

Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked as well and have had no luck finding any of this info. I am in Texarkana and have been up to Kriver in Oklahoma but have only found flower gold and nothing more. If you have any info I would appreciate the help. Also I have followed the Kiamichi river all the way back to the back side of Mena and have not found any gold other than flower. We have a site as well http://www.a2zlist.net if anyone want to post stuff forsale.

Last edited:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THERE IS SOME IN NW AR. PANNING CAN PRODUCE FLOUR GOLD IN WITH "SAND DIAMONDS", WHICH HAVE LITTLE VALUE AND CAUSE THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BEST PAN AND ALL OF YOUR SKILL TO COLLECT, ONLY A FEW SPECS OF GOLD WHICH ARE REFRACTED THRU THE SAND DIAMONDS. ODDLY ENOUGH, I CONTINUE TO PAN HERE AND PICK OUT THE INDIVIDUAL PIECES OF GOLD AND DUMP THE SAND DIAMONDS BACK FOR SEED.

I'VE BEEN AT IT FOR OVER A DECADE AND IF THE PRICE OF GOLD WILL GO BACK UP... I MIGHT GET ME A NEW GOLD PAN.
#/;0)~

IT'S ABOUT FINDING IT!!!!

Louisa

Dec 15, 2006
Ouchita Mountains, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I live west of Mena and abut to the Ouachita N/F, almost to the Oklahoma state line and have heard the stories also about gold being found but no direct info. I have a year round creek and a wet weather creek that runs through my property and haven't found squat other than some old coins metal detecting.
With all the quartz in this area I really thought there would be more gold quantity here. Also this area is high in iron.
I have found 2 locations on my property where my Whites went a bit bonkers probably for the high iron content but I was also getting intermittent gold hits. I actually dug a good portion and brought it back to the cabin in a 5 gallon bucket to sift and pan over but got nada.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live west of Mena and abut to the Ouachita N/F, almost to the Oklahoma state line and have heard the stories also about gold being found but no direct info. I have a year round creek and a wet weather creek that runs through my property and haven't found squat other than some old coins metal detecting.
With all the quartz in this area I really thought there would be more gold quantity here. Also this area is high in iron.
I have found 2 locations on my property where my Whites went a bit bonkers probably for the high iron content but I was also getting intermittent gold hits. I actually dug a good portion and brought it back to the cabin in a 5 gallon bucket to sift and pan over but got nada.

You're the closest of anyone yet

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. Go to your nearest mountain too and look for evidence of glacial scraping, like lines from south west to the north east... Even south to north where the great glaciers slid across and then drawn back...

Then let gravity lead you in the same trenches and watch for sudden flattening and watch for the layers of hard pack sand and rounded gravels.

Capture the lowest layer of gravel and clean out the area between the bedrock and gravel... Each layer of round gravel lays on top of hard pack. Most of the placer gold will be between the bottom of the gravel and the hard pack.

When gold gets washed down hill and falls out of the flow just as the gravel, then the sand and silt fall out last and harden into hard pack. It earns it's name!

Get a little gravel and a little of the hard pack and try to not load your pan with too much and clean and screen gravel.

Pan out and break up the hard pack. Try to not get discouraged. Work slow.
Remember that you are looking for flour gold

Always spray mist of dawn dish / clean water in your pan to keep the gold from floating out.

Be patient you'll have enough to buy a nice shiny shovel in a few years!!!

You are where it's been found and I'm just kidding about the small amounts,
You are in much better spot than I am!

#/;0{>~

ANWoods0122

Aug 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in NW Arkansas

THERE IS SOME IN NW AR. PANNING CAN PRODUCE FLOUR GOLD IN WITH "SAND DIAMONDS", WHICH HAVE LITTLE VALUE AND CAUSE THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BEST PAN AND ALL OF YOUR SKILL TO COLLECT, ONLY A FEW SPECS OF GOLD WHICH ARE REFRACTED THRU THE SAND DIAMONDS. ODDLY ENOUGH, I CONTINUE TO PAN HERE AND PICK OUT THE INDIVIDUAL PIECES OF GOLD AND DUMP THE SAND DIAMONDS BACK FOR SEED.

I'VE BEEN AT IT FOR OVER A DECADE AND IF THE PRICE OF GOLD WILL GO BACK UP... I MIGHT GET ME A NEW GOLD PAN.
#/;0)~

IT'S ABOUT FINDING IT!!!!

Where in NW Arkansas do you pan for gold?

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in long
Valleys where small streams flow
Into creeks, or where creeks flow into rivers.

Dig into steep banks where you see the layers of round river rocks on top
Of layers of hardpack.

The gold will fall through the gravel and get trapped in the top of the hard pack
Sand.

Try to find the lowest layer. Finish each
Pan as if it will be your last one. Much of what you will find will look as if is mixed
With silver. It sorta looks like it was painted on the pan.

It is a big job, just to spot the layers!

Good luck.

#/:0{>~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread