Gold Panning In NC Rivers and Creeks around Southern Pines?

Riverstotter

Jan 24, 2006
I have been Metal Detecting on our old farm land around Seven Lakes NC and we also have 2 Streams or Creeks going through our land. I have heard stories from ancestors about small nuggets comming from the area and was going to try and pan to see what I could find...I never have done this but I now have a 14 inch sorter pan and plan to head back uot tomorrow to hit the creeks...Any advice or any other experiences from NC?

Thanks for any type of help...

Upvote 0

ChuckNC

May 8, 2005
Riverstotter,
Dig down to the bedrock, or better yet, find some exposed bedrock. Clean out the accumilated material from any cracks and crevises. These are natural gold traps. Breack apart the bedrock if you can.
Don't be surprised if all you find are fines. Tha't what's mainly here in the Carolinas. A few pickers here and there, but fines out the wazzu. Nuggets are few and far between. The largest I have seen was around 1/4oz.
Oh yeah, if there are any old mines close to the creeks, look for the tailings piles. Especially if the piles are near or falling in the water. There should be gold just downstream of them.
Chuck

Sandpit

Jan 28, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Nautilus 2Ba & Tejon
Riverstotter,
There are 2-mines the Iola & Uwarre located about 2 miles north of Candor. One of them produced almost $1,000,000 in gold when active. May want to check the streams around these, if you can obtain permission. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread