Gold Lights / Flashes to Guide the Way to Riches???

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay,

This subject has been brought up several times in other sections, but never a Thread devoted entirely to it, so I think some of our Miner/Prospector friends here might not have been able to chime in.

In the diaries of his travels in New Spain, Father Juan (Johan) Nentvig SJ (Jesuit) wrote about the silver and gold mines all over Pimeria Alta (Northern Mexico and Southwestern US). He wrote that during the rainy season, there were many flashes to show that there was still much gold and silver to be had.

I had heard about these stories for a long time, but didn't put much stock in them, until I met an old timer who makes the rounds to Stanton (Rich Hill), Rye Patch, etc. He actually had pictures of the lights. He sets up his video camera about dusk and leaves it running till after dark. He collects it and reviews the video. If he finds something, he gets a frame from the video and prints it. I have to say that I was impressed.

The theory is that gasses develop from the different minerals associated with the different types of ore (like arsenic in gold ore). During periods of high humidity/rain, as the sun goes down, the temps radically change. The pressure differential is so great that the gasses vent to the atmosphere and phosphoresce. Different minerals/ores give off different colored lights. That is the theory anyway.

Anybody have anything else to share? Pics maybe?

Thanks-Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold Lights / Flashes to Guide the Way to Riches!!!

Hoser John said:
What a hoot. Plants being in the ground always tell whatzup below. I have been in the deserts and forests camping at least 200+ days a year for over 50 years-I owned a mining biz with many 10's a 1,000's a customers with millions of friends and relatives and belonged to multiple clubs for over 50+ years and NOT A SINGLE ONE EVER MENTION ANYTHING LIKE THIS. In this world of infathonable options anything is possible--even insipid things--but it don't make it a reality--just blind dumb luck to an unbelieveable incident Common knowledge dictates lightning rods and getting out of your car because of lightning but it don't make it a gold indicator. Anything can happen in this life-LL we can't dredge in running water-now THATS some crazy shat-John.

Once again John,

Ignorance of a subject does not mean it does not exist. The phenomenon was well known to Spanish and German Miners beginning in the middle ages. Here is the actual quote from Father Juan Nentvig SJ from his book "Rudo Ensayo":

In the vicinity of Oputo there are many silver mines which are abandoned because of the many outrages committed by the Apaches, such as what happened at Nori, three leagues north of Oputo, and at San Juan del Río, nine leagues beyond in the same direction. Numerous veins with good metal showings have been located southeast, southwest, and northwest of Oputo at distances of from four to fifteen leagues. The color of the mass as well as the night flashes visible during the rainy season are indicative of mineral deposits, but the utter poverty of the residents and the constant enemy danger hamper their being worked. Similar flashes occur in the environs of Huásabas, and the deposits remain untouched for the same reasons.

That was written by a Jesuit Priest in 1764. I don't think he was puff-puff-puffing on anything. Like I said, it was a well known phenomenon to Spanish and German Miners. Just because YOU or whomever your friends and associates are haven't heard of it, says more about you and your friends than the phenomenon. :wink:

......but like you said; This is America where you are free to believe (or disbelieve) anything you want. I'm 46 years old, and I only recently found out about it (in detail anyway). I had heard of it before, but until I saw some pictures, I thought like you did. No worries.

Best-Mike

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer

Oroblanco said:
I don't know how this is being so mis-interpreted. For the skeptics, have you never heard of St Elmo's fire? Look it up, and it doesn't "go" in a huge bolt/flash like lightning, just a natural electrical discharge, which is almost certainly what we are talking about with these "ghost lights" or "fires" seen over gold/silver deposits. I don't think St Elmos fire has ever been photographed either, but it is a very real, and very natural phenomenon. I will even go so far as to say, that these "ghost lights" over buried treasures are manifestations of a type of St Elmos fire.
Oroblanco
St Elmo's fire has been photographed, pilots who fly at night have seen it on the wings of their aircraft, its a discharge of static elec.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

Hoser, just let it go. You can't convince these people that they aren't using rational thought processes. You've got people in this very thread who have claimed to have "found treasure" from seeing treasure gasses yet they will tell you that the gas is never actually over the treasure. So in reality they actually found treasure by using hunches and metal detectors (or just plain dumb luck). They create all kinds of pseudo "scientific" explanations that actually aren't backed or supported by science at all. In fact, science consitently shows that it isn't even possible. But they WANT to believe it so badly that they are blind to the truth and refuse to use common sense. It just HAS to be real because some old kooky prospector has pictures. Well just because someone has pictures of lights doesn't mean that those lights are being caused by gold. Maybe they are being caused by groundhogs mating under the soil. Why not? It's just as plausible. But people don't want to believe it's groundhogs now do they. They want gold!

If you went out and tried to sell people on the idea that the strange lights being seen come from groundhogs they'd tell you that you were insane. But if you even hint that it could be from gold they are ready to jump right on board and go along for the ride without any proof whatsoever. It's human nature and people are just so darn greedy that they let common sense just fly right out the window.

Science doesn't back it up and even common sense doesn't. If gold gives off a gas by reacting with the ground then there wouldn't be any gold left in the world. You can't get something out of nothing. The amount of gas that would need to be created in order to be visible would also cause the gold to deteriorate significantly. Yet when people dig up gold it's always in perfect condition. Gold is inert. That's one of the things that makes it so valuable. So use common sense. Imagine that you've got gold sitting in the ground. If it generates gas then it is ALWAYS going to be generating gas. Not just when someone happens to walk by and be in the perfect place to see it. No, it will be doing it constantly even though no one is around. Thousands, even millions of years this gold is making gas and deteriorating. And there wouldn't be anyting left. At the very least you'd see major signs of deterioration. People just don't stop and do a simple "back of envelope" calculation as to what it would mean for gold to give off such a volume of gas. They'd rather assume that they could possibly have discovered something that all of the scientists in the world have not. Surely there have been millions of people throughout time who have had this idea and have tested it. But all have failed.

No, I don't want to argue with the likes of Real De Tayopa. I've done that already and you can't convince the guy. He grasps at straws and tries to come up with logical reasons why it "could" happen. But using simple logic you should easily be able to see why it doesn't happen. But hey, if you people want to chase phony lights all of your life then by my guest. I'm going to stick with common sense which says that these lights have just as much chance of being the result of gold in the ground as they do of being the result of groundhogs mating. Go ahead, prove otherwise.

Now if you'd like a reasonable explanation as to the relationship between treasure lights and gold finds try this: these visible gases could come from underground caverns. So seeing treasure lights could mean that there are caverns and caves nearby. And if there are caverns, caves, and thus potentially old mines, then there could also be gold. But does that mean that treasure gases come directly from gold. Absolutely not because that just doesn't even make sense. But a simple explanation like this could explain why the Spaniards and old prospectors look for treasure lights. It's because they actually UNDERSTOOD cause and effect relationships. Treasure gases don't have to come directly from gold in order to potentially be useful for finding stuff.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

jb7487 said:
Hoser, just let it go. You can't convince these people that they aren't using rational thought processes.

::) ::) ::) By your definition of "rational thought process" I presume. I did not say anywhere, that I USE this idea at all - it is an ancient belief, which MAY be scientifically explained as a NATURAL phenomenon. I will remind you what Mike posted as the starter for this thread:

The theory is that gasses develop from the different minerals associated with the different types of ore (like arsenic in gold ore). During periods of high humidity/rain, as the sun goes down, the temps radically change. The pressure differential is so great that the gasses vent to the atmosphere and phosphoresce. Different minerals/ores give off different colored lights. That is the theory anyway.

Anybody have anything else to share? Pics maybe?

Now how do you get that we are TELLING you or anyone else to USE this method from someone asking what the "lore" is they have heard I do not understand, but you are not the first to so glaringly MIS-read what has been posted.

jb7487 also wrote
No, I don't want to argue with the likes of Real De Tayopa.

Probably a wise choice for you, as Real de Tayopa has MANY years of experience in successful treasure hunting, I see you don't post your own age but would bet he has quite a lot more experience (and broad knowledge) than you or I do. A little respect on your part would be nice but seeing your post I know that won't happen.

Sheesh jb7487 ::) - so I suppose you are the "rational" one here, and everyone posting that doesn't agree is by your definition, "irrational". Good luck and good hunting, I hope you find the treasures that you seek; - and please, go tell everyone that I am pushing you to hunt for "ghost lights" to find buried treasures, since MIS-understanding seems to be very commonplace among folks reading this thread. ::)
Oroblanco

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt

wow had not considered gases causing lights.had only thought of high voltage charging a large rich deposit near surface.like from lightening.gold does not give off gas,until heated up,way up.now the plant/vegetation thing.i dont hardrock much.but do spend a lot of time finding/tracing ancient/tertiary rivers.vegetation can be usefull.one old river system here,the ancient columbia.mile wide,300 feet deep gravel,much cemented.its course is known,but some sections missing.like to be up high,different times of day,same places.where country rock meets old river aggregate,vegetation changes.these lost/buried/washed away sections are usually on or around ridges.ridges are younger than old fossil river.thus,when these hills/batholiths thrusted up through the country rock/old rivers,the gravels were often shouldered aside.then eroded away by water runoff.the bedrock is sometimes still intact upon these ridges.along with what it held in its cracks and crevices.will try to take some pics relating to vegetation changes and post on this thread.about real de la tayopa,he deserves respect.i have been reading his posts long time.with age and vast experience comes unbending conviction. sometimes .good luck all.andrew

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JB7487,

I agree with Oro that you aren't the first person to so glaringly misread my post. I have heard of it before. I was impressed with the pictures I saw (I know a lot about photography as well and know why things look like they do in pictures). There is more to the story that I am not at liberty to post, but there are a lot of people who vehemently believe it.

ALL I DID in beginning this thread was to find out if anybody here had heard or had any experience with this phenomenon. I NEVER said that I believe the lights are absolutely associated with finding gold/silver/mercury. I posted what I have found out about the subject and asked what others know. YOU and HOSER seem lgnorant of that fact. Remember: RIF (Reading Is Fundamental). Not only reading but comprehension!

Patches,

As I posted in the initial post; I can't say for certain what causes the lights. I know that there are lights and flashes (documented evidence for hundreds of years). I know that German and Spanish Miners associated them with underground veins of gold, silver, and mercury (quicksilver). I know that they happen during rainy season or times of high humidity. I can't say for certain that there is an association between gold/silver/mercury veins and light flashes. I AM open to the possibility though.

Are they a product of electrical/static electricity occurrences? Maybe. Are they are product of mineral outgassing? Maybe.

I DON'T KNOW! I am just looking for other people's input.

Best-Mike

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used

At one time the belief was that the sun rotated around the earth,. Now that we know everything, we realize that was wrong. Since we now know all there is to know and there is nothing left to learn, the strange light can't possibly exist.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They're not saying the lights don't exist. They are just saying that they are certain the lights have absolutely nothing to do with veins of ore underground. That is the part I find funny.

Again; this is what I know for absolutely certain:

1. The flashes/Lights exist, and occur during rainy seasons and periods of high humidity, and they happened in areas of known silver and gold mines (did they happen anywhere else as well and were only looked for in potential mine areas?).

2. German and Spanish Miners (along with other methods) followed the light flashes as indicative of hidden precious metal veins since the middle ages (period documentary evidence).

3. Some people to this day use them to find ore bodies.

4. Nobody (that I have found) knows exactly what causes them (several theories though).

Best-Mike

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

Gollum, I apologize for not reading your original post as closely as I should have. Indeed, you seem to believe that these gases come from other ores that are commonly found with gold. I can certainly believe that. I said as much in my original post. My rant was particularly aimed at Real de Toyopa who appeared to be ready to take this thread down the same course that he took the other one. I see no point in that. I'd like to nip that in the bud right now. If people want to believe that visbile gases come from other ores that are commonly found with gold or that old mines produce gases then I'm fine with that. But please don't let anyone tell you that gold itself gives off gas. It just isn't so.

Posted by: AUDuke
At one time the belief was that the sun rotated around the earth,. Now that we know everything, we realize that was wrong. Since we now know all there is to know and there is nothing left to learn, the strange light can't possibly exist.

No one said that we know everything. This is the typical excuse given by those who are panning their pseudo scientific beliefs. It is horse crap to say the least. We may not know everything but there are a lot of things that we now do know and our knowledge level is increasing. To say that gold gives off gas is to go backwards 100's of years in our scientific knowledge. It would be like someone saying that there is still a possibility that the earth is flat simply because "science doesn't know everything". Well science does know a lot more than people give it credit for.

With that said everyone should also understand that science has been studying gold and ways to find more of it for thousands of years. You don't truly believe that you are the only ones to think of such a thing. That old prospector's got nothing on the scientists of today and yesteryear. It is likely that thousands of people have studied these phenomenons using true scientific processes. And the result has always been the same. It amazes me that wishful thinkers want to believe in something that science clearly could not prove even though it really wanted to. Who wouldn't want to believe that gold can be found using some technique such as following visible gases. But wanting it to be true doesn't make it true.

As for the spaniards and their methods of finding gold, I can say that they were certainly experts. But again, their methods were well know. If you know about it then science knows about it. And if science knows about it then it's been tested. And if it had worked then you'd know about that too. We don't live in a vacuum anymore. There are no scientific secrets. The companies finding and mining gold today use techiques that are well understood. I'll also throw out that the spaniards knew a heck of a lot less about science and finding gold than we probably do today. They were superstitious and ill informed. But what they lacked in scientific knowledge they made up for with sheer effort, persistence, and numbers. They dedicated massive teams to finding gold. What role treasure gases truly played in their finds is probably unknown. It is possible that it led them to ores and veins in some occasions. It is also possible that it is just complete superstition.

I'll leave you with the parting thought that it amazes me that people can't see the wishful thinking going on here. A man sees a visible gas out in a field. Now that gas could be caused by any number of things. In fact, the odds are very much against the idea of this gas being caused by gold veins or even gold itself. It could be rotting flesh, a pile of deer poo, a twinkie, groundhogs mating, an alien, or just about anything. But the very first thing people grab onto is that it is related to gold in some way. They begin to hammer the occurrence into what they WANT to believe. Not what is most probable. It's a fact of life with treasure hunters. Everything they see, hear, smell, and encounter somehow all relates back to gold. Well, if you want to believe that then be my guest. But there are other people in this world who are willing to listen. And if the people of this forum are going to make up pseudo "scientific" explanations that don't make any sense then there are going to be people out here who are going to call them on it.

I apologize for sidetracking the discussion. I've said my peace. And I promise not to interrupt again. Please forgive me and carry on.

Peace.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt

good post jb,wellsaid.i too repent for not studying the original post.my crazy humor is often mistaken for derision.also,i never resorted to name calling.those spaniards did have stones.and good shoes.but were not very nice to their indian employees.enjoy. :)

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used

Does this mean that everone that has found and recovered precious metals by unorthodox or means not accepted by modern science , have to put it back in the ground? ??? :laughing9:

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used

How do you know what you don't know?

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt

by what i do know.and courage of conviction tempered by common cents.also,40 years in the dust,root hog or die.make money,or dont eat.am on the hill,it feeds me.the earth is my lunchcounter.am in debt to the earth and love it.for it taught me not to chase my tail.also,dont skinnydip with snapping turtles.hey,you asked :read2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

jb7487 said:
Gollum, I apologize for not reading your original post as closely as I should have. Indeed, you seem to believe that these gases come from other ores that are commonly found with gold. I can certainly believe that. I said as much in my original post. My rant was particularly aimed at Real de Toyopa who appeared to be ready to take this thread down the same course that he took the other one. I see no point in that. I'd like to nip that in the bud right now. If people want to believe that visbile gases come from other ores that are commonly found with gold or that old mines produce gases then I'm fine with that. But please don't let anyone tell you that gold itself gives off gas. It just isn't so.

No one said that we know everything. This is the typical excuse given by those who are panning their pseudo scientific beliefs. It is horse crap to say the least. We may not know everything but there are a lot of things that we now do know and our knowledge level is increasing. To say that gold gives off gas is to go backwards 100's of years in our scientific knowledge. It would be like someone saying that there is still a possibility that the earth is flat simply because "science doesn't know everything". Well science does know a lot more than people give it credit for.

With that said everyone should also understand that science has been studying gold and ways to find more of it for thousands of years. You don't truly believe that you are the only ones to think of such a thing. That old prospector's got nothing on the scientists of today and yesteryear. It is likely that thousands of people have studied these phenomenons using true scientific processes. And the result has always been the same. It amazes me that wishful thinkers want to believe in something that science clearly could not prove even though it really wanted to. Who wouldn't want to believe that gold can be found using some technique such as following visible gases. But wanting it to be true doesn't make it true.

As for the spaniards and their methods of finding gold, I can say that they were certainly experts. But again, their methods were well know. If you know about it then science knows about it. And if science knows about it then it's been tested. And if it had worked then you'd know about that too. We don't live in a vacuum anymore. There are no scientific secrets. The companies finding and mining gold today use techiques that are well understood. I'll also throw out that the spaniards knew a heck of a lot less about science and finding gold than we probably do today. They were superstitious and ill informed. But what they lacked in scientific knowledge they made up for with sheer effort, persistence, and numbers. They dedicated massive teams to finding gold. What role treasure gases truly played in their finds is probably unknown. It is possible that it led them to ores and veins in some occasions. It is also possible that it is just complete superstition.

I'll leave you with the parting thought that it amazes me that people can't see the wishful thinking going on here. A man sees a visible gas out in a field. Now that gas could be caused by any number of things. In fact, the odds are very much against the idea of this gas being caused by gold veins or even gold itself. It could be rotting flesh, a pile of deer poo, a twinkie, groundhogs mating, an alien, or just about anything. But the very first thing people grab onto is that it is related to gold in some way. They begin to hammer the occurrence into what they WANT to believe. Not what is most probable. It's a fact of life with treasure hunters. Everything they see, hear, smell, and encounter somehow all relates back to gold. Well, if you want to believe that then be my guest. But there are other people in this world who are willing to listen. And if the people of this forum are going to make up pseudo "scientific" explanations that don't make any sense then there are going to be people out here who are going to call them on it.

I apologize for sidetracking the discussion. I've said my peace. And I promise not to interrupt again. Please forgive me and carry on.

Peace.

Sheesh - you continue to misunderstand the whole purpose of this thread, and brag on how much science "knows". Science is very good indeed, but certainly does not have all the answers for all observed phenomena. Especially with rare and periodic phenomena which does not repeat often. As for what others may or may not have found related to these 'lights', any relationship of observed 'ghost lights' with it is inferred NOT proven. It could very well be utterly un-related. Your dismissal of "pseudo-scientific" explanations shows how narrow minded you really are. You must not know much of ancient prospecting and mining methods, which were often superstition based but did produce results for them - which does NOT prove the superstitious belief was right or real, but since you have clearly missed the whole point of this thread so I won't bother going any further. Thank you for dropping out of the discussion, your personal attacks were unwarranted and unwelcome.

Oroblanco

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt

oro,much much respect.but i aint skeerta you neither.who in hell made you moderator.after readin your last post,scrolled all the way up,your only contributions have been derogatory anallysis of anybodys views not matching yours.and personal attacks upon non azz-kissers.am only saying all this because of being cussed at,sneered at,etc.this is a worldwide discussion forum,bound to be differing viewpoints.so git off yer high horse.guy you were just yellin at offered his hand in friendship.and frankly,his posts were enlightening,as showing both viewpoints(contrast)while yours sound like estrogen induced nagging.exploring different views in discussion leads to insight/learning.your a big part of whats derailing this thread.flame away locoblanco.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

patches63 said:
oro,much much respect.but i aint skeerta you neither.who in hell made you moderator.after readin your last post,scrolled all the way up,your only contributions have been derogatory anallysis of anybodys views not matching yours.and personal attacks upon non azz-kissers.am only saying all this because of being cussed at,sneered at,etc.this is a worldwide discussion forum,bound to be differing viewpoints.so git off yer high horse.guy you were just yellin at offered his hand in friendship.and frankly,his posts were enlightening,as showing both viewpoints(contrast)while yours sound like estrogen induced nagging.exploring different views in discussion leads to insight/learning.your a big part of whats derailing this thread.flame away locoblanco.

Well that seals it for me. Patches where did I ever make any kind of threat, and thank you for your personal attacks too. Good luck to you.
Oroblanco

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt

oro,word threat never used.but your tellin jb good riddance,not welcome here kinda made me snap.and please review your posts.have read many many of yours,enjoyed all,before this thread.i am sorry.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used

I will be removing all of my posts in this thread, it is the only way to ignore the thread so if there is anything anyone wants copy it now, as I will remove it soon.Oroblanco

Leaving it as it is so as not to further mutilate this thread. Sorry for all the dramatics, but not for what I said; when someone attacks a personal friend of mine, I don't appreciate it.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

jb7487 said:

Peace.

Before you make such a statement as absolute fact, it might behoove you to read a very old mining text called "De Re Metalica"
It was THE mining specialist handbook the Spanish worked from.
You can read all about the fires.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread