If you were going to fly in to a remote mining site, and have to hike 5+ miles

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were going to fly in to a remote mining site, and have to hike at least 5+ miles over very rough terrain, including rivers and rainforest, what gold prospecting equipment would you bring? This area is very gold and diamond rich. I had found a portable sluice box in the past that I can no longer find the link to. It was made out of rubber and actually rolled up and only weighed a couple pounds. Not your typical sluice box by any means. I am thinking about bringing a metal detector, but my space is very limited. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
a 2 piece abs sluice box a 5gallon bucket and good shovel 40 cal s&w for animals and a set of garrett classifiers screens and a satellite phone just in case most of it will fit in or on a good back pack

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector and a sluice can process much material. I've been to Alaska and always carry a big GUN or the rest is useless. Your not going to get it all done in a single season as there are years where it just isn't warm/dry enough to mine and live like a animal. Base camps are absolutely mandatory with any mining adventure. I know of only 1 man who does it all year and he's pure steel and healthy as a ox. A fly in and a 5 mile hike definately sends up warning signs of a illegal op(not a slanderous accusation,just a observation) and them AK cops/wardens/rangers have absolutely NO sence of humor. I would go to the new Alaska Mining and Diving website for a MASSIVE amount of info as to rules,regs,conditions and a HUGE crowd of strictly AK miners and Steve H is a great helpful real miner too. There are many MANY things that are only AK issues and these guys know a massive amount of info-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :hello2:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strickman said:
roll up sluice----mygoldpanning.com

Dude, that thing's sick!! Thanks for the link!

Bran <><

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
Detector and a sluice can process much material. I've been to Alaska and always carry a big GUN or the rest is useless. Your not going to get it all done in a single season as there are years where it just isn't warm/dry enough to mine and live like a animal. Base camps are absolutely mandatory with any mining adventure. I know of only 1 man who does it all year and he's pure steel and healthy as a ox. A fly in and a 5 mile hike definately sends up warning signs of a illegal op(not a slanderous accusation,just a observation) and them AK cops/wardens/rangers have absolutely NO sence of humor. I would go to the new Alaska Mining and Diving website for a MASSIVE amount of info as to rules,regs,conditions and a HUGE crowd of strictly AK miners and Steve H is a great helpful real miner too. There are many MANY things that are only AK issues and these guys know a massive amount of info-tons a au 2 u 2 -John :hello2:

This is not in Alaska, lol. It is in South America and is not someones claim. Just trying to pack appropriately for such a rugged trip. I do have, and will be bringing a satelite phone, an Alpaca raft(lightweight, portable raft for river crossings), my Clarks jungle hammock, and lots of other survival gear. I am very familiar with prospecting here in Alaska, just not in South America. Strickman, thanks for that link. That is the EXACT link i was looking for and the portable sluice i mentioned.

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
kudos to you,for having the ability and means to embark upon a grand adventure.i would take a serious medical kit,water treatment supplies,2 gps units, a couple items that said ruger on them.depending upon length of stay,would securely cache extra supplies at landing site if at all possible.maybe an epirb?oh yeah lots of extra socks. :hello2: somebody in the group should have some medical training,like emt basic.or at least first aid/cpr cert. the latter is only a two day course.err and a good camera,so you can post pics for us to oogle wistfully.enjoy your walkabout. dont know enough about the type of mining/prospecting you will be doing,thus cannot suggest possible equipment.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you could also make one yourself...the corugated plastic has a memory to make it round.so all you have to do is earase that memory!!!!heat it up real warm (not melting)just enough to make it lose it's memory---then make sure it's heated evenly.put in desired position mabe some thing on top to hold it down.and let cool......then the new memory will be desired shape!!!roll up backwards and off you go !!!!!!!!!!! :sign13: :icon_sunny:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA--sorry your name threw me. SA/CA definately sounds like lotza fun--for a younger man with bookoo testiculiar fortitude. I'll stick to the ol'USA where I'm presumed innocent till proven guilty by a court of law. Truly wish ya all the oro puro you can possibly carry- RESPECT-John

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
AA--sorry your name threw me. SA/CA definately sounds like lotza fun--for a younger man with bookoo testiculiar fortitude. I'll stick to the ol'USA where I'm presumed innocent till proven guilty by a court of law. Truly wish ya all the oro puro you can possibly carry- RESPECT-John

Np Hoser, I definitely don't approve of claim jumping and understand your concerns. I am fairly comfortable in Latin America in general, so that always helps. In January of 2011, i am going to Guyana for a 2 week jungle survival course, which is going to be hella fun and should be very benificial. They teach you everything from starting a fire from scratch(in a jungle atmosphere) to bow-hunting, fishing, building a shelter etc.

Here in Alaska, i can only prospect in the late spring/summer so i need a playground for our long winters. I have a buddy who has a small claim near Hope, and i spend a lot of time there with him. I have lived in AK for 20 years, and the winters get really old.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The South African field survival coarse is the absolute ungodly best on the planet. The folks-ALL-have mandatory 2 year service and they can live in the nastiest real estate on the planet easily. If ya know one ask and ye shall receive as they are one proud people--ifn' ya can get past the white hype-John

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
The South African field survival coarse is the absolute ungodly best on the planet. The folks-ALL-have mandatory 2 year service and they can live in the nastiest real estate on the planet easily. If ya know one ask and ye shall receive as they are one proud people--ifn' ya can get past the white hype-John

I think i will have to stay away from S. Africa for now. For some reason, I can't get enough of Latin America, including the culture. It just fascinates me to no end. That is the reason most of my travels have been in Central America and now moving south into SA. The survival course is also in the general area of some of my prospecting locations, so it is nice to be familiar with the dangers of that region.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA brown women(married one once) brown beer, warm days and oro puro for the tough. Color this old dredge dog green with envy, been there done some of that and in today litageous world you are 1 tough miner!!!! Go with what ya brung and know best and to ll with the rest-tons au 2 u 2 -John :icon_sunny: I would like to ask a question?? Please post some adventures and pix for us USA miners who are a mite ole to be trapsing around the jungles,pampas,and swamps anymore---please :notworthy:

OP
OP
Alaskan Adventurer

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoser John said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA brown women(married one once) brown beer, warm days and oro puro for the tough. Color this old dredge dog green with envy, been there done some of that and in today litageous world you are 1 tough miner!!!! Go with what ya brung and know best and to ll with the rest-tons au 2 u 2 -John :icon_sunny: I would like to ask a question?? Please post some adventures and pix for us USA miners who are a mite ole to be trapsing around the jungles,pampas,and swamps anymore---please :notworthy:

I love latino gals! Expect me to post some pics sometime in Feb 2011, I hope to take tons. Anyways, I am going to post a link to the survival course I will be taking. Sounds like a buddy of mine from Alaska might be joining me, so that is cool.

http://www.bushmasters.co.uk/team

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread