Essential supplies for a prospecting trip.

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm trying to put a list together for a friend who's joining me on his first prospecting trip in may but I want to make sure I don't leave anything out. What supplies do you feel are essential for every trip? It will be a long trip maybe over a month long so any tips are appreciated as I want to make sure I don't leave anything out because its his first time .

Upvote 0

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
clothe, food, tent, shovel, ice picks for cleaning little crevices,rock hanner 2lb sledge hammer good pry or crow bar ,sluice box, classifier screens , a metal or palstic pan for panning if plastic sand it to remove slickness and wash in hot soapy water to remove mold release , cell phone and charger or sat phone depending where you go a good side arm there are wild animals and still are claim jumpers ,cash and or debit/cerdit card permission if on private land and a permit if on state park land a good gps unit a first aid kit meds for how ever long u will be out tylenol bandaids anti biodic cream signal whistle and a map of the route you will be taking for relatives and law enforcement to have if they nee to come find you for any reason hygene products spare shovels oh yeah and a 2 wheel deer dolley to haul all your gear on would be a pain in the butt if you have to carry all that gear to far or make several trips and a good metal detector if you have on this is all i can think of oh yeah and a pick

OP
OP
C

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I emailed him the list but let me know if theres anything else that should be on the list .

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st off-who #--where--when are the absolute most important equations to answer your question?? No info can provided leaves your question pointless. Number of folks-duration of stay--forest/river/desert, fs/blm/forest status, dredge/highbank/detect, sleeping arrangements--all info matters GREATLY--John

OP
OP
C

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there are 4 of us going on the trip. We will be staying in our travel trailers. The trip is to arizona. Probably about a month . My brother in law and I have our supplies but my friend and his wife only have a metal detector right now. We will be panning, sluicing"if there's enough water" and detecting . We will be using my pans and sluice. We will set up a base camp when we get there and use atvs to get to and from creeks, streams , tailings etc. We will be sticking around the bradshaw mountain area. We might drive out to the goldfields around the quartzsite area if its not too hot to detect.

OP
OP
C

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and the trip is scheduled for the beginning of May and will last for atleast a month.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
Sounds like a good time, only problem will be the heat. The Arizona desert is a remarkable place I ran around there for 8 yrs as a kid and never tired of it. If you are able to camp close to your prospecting areas it will be a huge advantage to be able to get back to camp to avoid the heat of midday. We used to go early in the morning and have a siesta until midafternoon then go back to our activity usually hunting or fishing. If you have four wheelers or at least one good 4x4 vehicle that will be a plus also. A satelite phone for emergencies is also adviseable, as are firearms or other means of protection, especially the farther south you go. Lots of people go into the desert for various activities, not all of them legal I might add. I for one would not go to far south without local guidance who knew the area and could be trusted completely. Always have enough water for 2 days or more within 5 minutes walk.
There are few dangerous spiders, scorpions will reside under rocks especially near water sources. Snakes are actually few and far between with several exceptions. It is entirely possible to stumble upon "nests" of rattlesnakes. I have done so 3 or 4 times in the 8 years I ran around there. If near water snakes come out at night and sit by the water waiting for prey. Skunks are common near water also at night, avoid as they may be rabid, same with coyotes, bobcats or cougars that don't run away at first sight of you. Have some method of towing disabled vehicles, a flat repair kit the kind with tire plugs is best and a 12v air compressor. If you drive in the washes or very dusty ground you may also get stuck, two vehicle buddy system is best. Shade hats are a must and clothing that protects you from the sun also. So, this is just a few things I advise, always use a buddy system and respect the sun and you will have a great experience

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Two burro's, 20# bacon, 50# Flour, bakin powder, gold pan, pick, shovel, matches, blanket, 30-30 carbine and ammo.

OP
OP
C

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We probably won't spend much time in the quartzsite area as it will be cooler in the bradshaw mountains. Last may we made this trip and spent one day in the quartzsite area and decided to stick to the bradshaws for the rest of the trip.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
If it keeps raining like it did today you wont have any use for a dry washer.

Enlitnd1

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2010
The general area between Lake Pleasant and Crown King is a good producer. Most of the washes carry fine gold and some have nuggets. There are hundreds of old abandoned prospects there so watch for mine openings. Some of the seasonal streams will be running so dredges and highbanking gear is in order. Good luck! (try little buckhorn wash upstream from the hwy.)
Bill in Ariz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread