I need a Spanish dip needle... Where can I get one?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Spooky,
Thanks for the response. Nope. Not what I'm looking for. The things displayed on that page are for compensating ship's comasses for tilt. What I'm looking for is an instrument used to find Magnetite, black sand, usually associated with gold. The needle sits horizontal in a housing till it is above black sand (or other iron products) then it dips. The place to dig! TTC

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry have you had any luck coming up with a dip needle?
The new Gold Bug detector I just bought has a scale on the screen that shows the iron in the soil.
Fe3O4 in the left corner. 1 of the reasons I bought it; I tried it out on a dry creek bed an sure enough
I found 1 spot that pegged the scale.

A Good thread with a good picture of one

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=68341.0

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Bump: ORO now has his, but he hasn't posted lately, so perhaps he was succesful, and now resides in Rio De Janeiro lolling in the sun, swilling tall cool ones, while ogling the passing bikinis - whenever Beth isn't around.

The detector and the dip compass rely upon entirely different principals. The detector relies upon variations of it's self emited field, which is extremely limited, while the compass is driven by the Earth's fields.

Both can be very usefull in their respective, but different fields.

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real de Tayopa said:
HI Bump: ORO now has his, but he hasn't posted lately, so perhaps he was succesful, and now resides in Rio De Janeiro lolling in the sun, swilling tall cool ones, while ogling the passing bikinis - whenever Beth isn't around.

The detector and the dip compass rely upon entirely different principals. The detector relies upon variations of it's self emited field, which is extremely limited, while the compass is driven by the Earth's fields.

Both can be very usefull in their respective, but different fields.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Don Jose,
Como esta? (sorry I can't add the first question mark or accented a) How did you fare the recent earthquakes? Hope everything is bueno. Su compadre, TerryC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real de Tayopa said:
Hio Terry: Apol. for missing your post. No prob. with the earth quake, gracias. Ever get your Dip meter?

Don Jose de La Mancha
No dip needle yet. Those that have authentic ones (collector's piece) do not part with them. Alas, I will continue with the cheap alternative.... metal detector. Thanks for the reply and glad to know you are ok, my friend. TTC

NIKKISIXX

Jan 18, 2019
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6BEA2D0B-4F7F-4A9E-942D-9F7EA58A25DE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would a cheap 'in air compass' (no water damping) work the same way? The positive effect of the metal in the ground should concentrate the earths magnetic lines which should cause the 'in air compass' needle to dip?? The larger the diameter the longer the needle and therefore more noticeable deflection of the needle.

Hope life goes well for you Terry!!.................63bkpkr

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think he needs one anymore. Out of the kindness of his heart he gave me two of them a couple of years ago along with a lot of books and gear. Terry is a great guy and I hope all is well with him.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My My, sometimes it pays to look at the posting date! I believe his life has changed pleasantly as he's married and has a new jeep and is still out there breathing and prospecting. Hope you are doing well Terry C................63bkpkr

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My My, sometimes it pays to look at the posting date! I believe his life has changed pleasantly as he's married and has a new jeep and is still out there breathing and prospecting. Hope you are doing well Terry C................63bkpkr
I guess we can blame the Oakee for dredging up an 8 year old post from god knows where!!

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I have 2 dip needles and the Aqualocator is FAR more sensitive and is a great unit. I took the Aqualocator and glued it to a 2X2 and then a few feet at the top I mounted a Bruton water filled compass. They're far enough apart that there is interaction and it makes is simple to keep the aqualoctor aimed North that way. I don't use it anymore as I bought a Geometrics Protron precession magnetometer-mo better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread