GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well today was a beautiful day to go out prospecting.

I got myself together, and headed out solo today for a walk around our claim.

On the way to our spot, I noticed a nice new highway cut on the right hand side.... not very far from our area. I decided to go and have a look. I came across this beauty.
2bef3d7b.jpg

Isn't that a lovely rock!?

It is absolutely full of what looks like pyrite... and god knows what else. An immediate glance around, didn't show any others like this, but I knew the source was probably over by the rock walls somewhere.

Moving on... I started to poke around, and noticed plenty of mineralization around.
0b8e0578.jpg

You can see it if you look closely, all over the wall. It also looks like we have plenty of more samples to send in. This new area is so close to our other claim, it's literally one box over on the claims map. I am definitely going to be on the guys to extend our stake into this location.

I came across another rock (mineral?) that was quite brittle. It's was like a dark green chalk after I poked away at it.... but in it's natural form, it looks like a black graphite or something along those lines. I have no idea to be honest... maybe some of you do?
3371bca7.jpg

You can see in the picture, where I hammered at it with a rock pick. Instead of it breaking apart, it held its form and only allowed me to make a dent into it. Very strange. The black spot on the picture is what it looks like before hand.

After I fiddled around at a couple of quartz veins, I paced around on this beautiful sunny day, and came across a rock that didn't fit into the puzzle. It was dark red, full of huge pyrite crystals, and extremely heavy. I couldn't see any source for it, but I then realized I could be standing on it. I'll have to go back and move a bit of rock around and see if I can't hit some bedrock .

Back to the first rock I have pictured, I found the source I was looking for....
322b34e0.jpg

I'll take a picture of the red rock tomorrow, I have the sample in the car. Maybe someone can give me some input on that one and that green talc-like/graphite stuff.

Last but not least, I found this lovely little specimen. Quartz with some pyrite I believe? The quartz had some sort of orange sheen on it, which was giving off some lovely colours as I turned it in the light.
ee91ac95.jpg

These ones have that rainbow effect to them in the light...
e01f1741.jpg

Any thoughts, or information, please fill me in.

Regards,

Gio

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I'll be testing a few samples... you never know.

I've heard that many people have just walked past an oz./tonne only because they thought it was just a bunch of pyrite.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick story-A friend,Erwin Lee of Fisher fame, was rvng' near Moccasin Creek down from the Yosemite offa HiWay 49 and was inspecting a new cut. Out comes the detector and he finds a 100+ lb boulder CHOCK FULLA GOLD,took hours getting it up the hill and after acid etching there was close to 41 ozs of RIGHTEOUS ornate gold. All from a boulder that showed no gold. Lesson--listen to your detector-many engineers over many years have created a science we all take advantage of--tons a au 2 u -John :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hahaa Bonanza :)

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Great find, that is awesome man. There is a huge market for neat looking minerals from collectors and those people that use rocks in healing, so even if it has no Au its probably still worth something. Keep us updated! :icon_thumright:

SCBUZZ

Mar 27, 2010
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing like the feeling of finding something you know is not ordinary. And to think your the first person to touch it sense God put it there. Wow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread