tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Gold is soft like lead . Here in AZ many people confuse Mica with gold but under closer examination one will see that mica is a flaky substance which will chip and shatter whereas gold will change shape when force is applied . It's kinda like iron pyrite or fools gold as it's ofter called . Once you see one next to the other you will not mistake one for the other very easily .

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
The main thing gold feels like is HEAVY compared to other rocks of a similar size.

Pure gold is maleable and not gritty at all. When I'm filtering sand, I always look at the gold looking rocks. I know this sounds strange but when I see small gravel that won't pass through a #4 screen and it looks like gold, I pop it in my mouth and swirl it around over my tounge. If it feels gritty, I'll usually just spit it out. If not I'll bite down on it slightly. If it doesn't break apart, but just gives a bit, it goes into the keeper can.

Granted, this habit could be unhealthy if you're working polluted streams, but the water I work in is fast moving mountain streams and is very clean, so I don't worry about it.

If I'm dry sifting, I just depend on my GMT and common sense to tell me if it's gold or not.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: It just feels righteously wonderful,heavy,can be any shape,size or configuration,warms quickly to the touch and invites the fever to consume you. Ifn' it cracks,crumbles or crunches under a knifes blade,just keep on a lookn' and it is considerably harder than lead,hence its' use in jewelry since the dawn of time-John :hello2:

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ya'll. I think I threw gold out.lol. While metal detecting I kept getting a signal and dug out this piece of ''gold''. It was the prettiest yellow, didn't sparkle it glowed and it would set off the detector 5 out of 10 times. this piece was half the size of my pinky nail and probably just as thin.It felt smooth. Anyway I squeezed it netween my nails real hard and it cut it in half. Thinking it wasnt gold because of that I tossed it back in the creek. Haven't been able to get that piece off my mind, sure was pretty. ;D
I would wave it under the detctor and it would beep ''iron'' but only signaled 5 out of 10 times waving it under. Why not all the time?
Thats another reason I wasn't sure but the more I replay it the more I think I should of kept it.
I'm about to just buy a little nug so I can see one and know for sure.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
It could have had something to do with the balancing software in your detector. If I bounce my GMT over iron a few times, it'll balance out iron. If I bounce it over tin a few times it'll balance out tin. If I bounce it over gold, it'll balance out gold eventually. You can pretty much balance everything out of it if you mess with it too much. Then it's just power the unit off, back on, and start over.

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O got ya. Makes sense, live and learn.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even in the ground your lookin for a repeatable signal if it wasnt repeating in the air i doubt it was gold especially that sizes.. what detector.

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an teknetics alpha 2000. 200$ at gander mountain. Not the best for gold from what I read but... it's a start.

Bikerboyzx6r

May 3, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Im very surprised you didnt keep it just incase mate! You have seen the cr*p that most of us keep & show! ::) haha

Lesson 1, if in doubt.... DONT throw it out :icon_thumright:

HH Dan

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apothecaryjames said:
Hoser John said:
:headbang: It just feels righteously wonderful,heavy,can be any shape,size or configuration,warms quickly to the touch and invites the fever to consume you. Ifn' it cracks,crumbles or crunches under a knifes blade,just keep on a lookn' and it is considerably harder than lead,hence its' use in jewelry since the dawn of time-John :hello2:

I've been studying microscopic gold recovery. and so far I've found out that the heating this is true. I had some cold sitting concentrates and added hot water to them to clean off some clay murk. Once I swayed my cons to get them all unstuck from the bottom I could feel it very cold, then after one pass over the whole bottom of the tub, it was no longer cold (I used hot water)

to me very fine gold feels like if you see a movie, and you see the special effects where someone sticks their hand through someones body like to rip their heart out or something...only imagine sticking in your hand through the body of no bones or blood, but just flesh and skin. thats what it feels like to me
as if you could rub someones skin and just rip it off with the touch of your finger

pretty sick stuff, no wonder why its called a fever haha
How much for an 1/8 of shrooms...j/k :laughing7:

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
apothecaryjames said:
i eat pot so eating shrooms might be an upgrade haha
It's hard to prospect while you're rolling around on the ground laughing. "Oh my god... that ant is walking on a blade of grass... that's the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread